Sign in to follow this  
OneBoot

OneBoot attempts to paint Yephima as a Starry Sky Goddess

Goodness, another compendium of fantastic information.

We need to establish an "Ask Ub3r Link" somewhere...

^_^

Bwhahaha!
  • Like 3

Just saw the thread today, so I'm a little late to the party but glad to be on board now!

Anyway, wonderful idea for a mini, and I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing your progress on her!  You've set yourself a difficult task, but that is totally the best way to improve, so I know you'll do a great job on her!

I feel your pain with the mold line on her head; I haven't checked mine (my Yephima, not my head!), but I'm sure she has the same problem, and I vehemently hate through-hair mold lines!  Whenever I can, I always try to closely examine the minis I buy in their blisters so I can pick the one that has the least obnoxious mold lines, but obviously that doesn't work unless one is at a store with multiples of the same mini.

• Like 4

Hey Mrs Boot.....where's the starry sky?

I took care of the mould lines on mine with a dab of green stuff and the bad side of my x-acto knife.

Edited by Mattnuke
  • Like 2

It occurred to me that there are tools to cut linoleum prints, little "V"-shaped carving blades, that might be helpful removing in-hair mold lines in Bones if one is ridiculously patient.

• Like 6

It occurred to me that there are tools to cut linoleum prints, little "V"-shaped carving blades, that might be helpful removing in-hair mold lines in Bones if one is ridiculously patient.

Sharp enough and the good ones can be sharpened back up after they dull down.  This is a really good idea.

• Like 4

Hey Mrs Boot.....where's the starry sky?

It's, erm, still in the planning stages. I've been doing some experimentation with various swirls and dots of color on black backgrounds painted onto paper to see which nebula/galaxy/stars pattern I like best, but haven't settled on one yet. Pictures will be forthcoming SoonTM. I've also had more trouble than I'd expected trying to decide which colors to use for her sunset skirt. Maybe I'll just end up doing all of them, starting with purple at the top and working my way down to red at the bottom, but I'm afraid then it would just look rainbow-ish. I need to do some color experimentation on paper, but between reclaiming the apartment following holiday madness (this includes finally setting up the Hobby Room as my Painting Kingdom) and spending time with Mr. Boot, I've had very little painting time lately. Hopefully I'll have some later today, though!  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

This is a great nightbringer.

Also, I used this to do this, which is sort of similar.

Start simple.  You can always do a glaze of something overtop of plain white stars if you feel like you need more color.  This is a great idea!!!  ::):

edit- curses, wrong link...

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 6

won't happen for a bit. Steam just poped up and told me Oneboot is playing Borderlands. So unless it's Mr. Boot, we've lost her for a while....

• Like 7

Wow, I'm so glad you're doing a space giant. I had a similar plan for mine, but I have no idea when I'll get around to it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this goes.

• Like 2

Thanks for checking in, everyone; knowing that there are people waiting for updates is helping to keep me motivated!  :blush:

won't happen for a bit. Steam just popped up and told me Oneboot is playing Borderlands. So unless it's Mr. Boot, we've lost her for a while....

:ph34r: *embarrassed cough* Nope, that was me; Mr. Boot has his own account. And yeah, I was on there for WAY too long. But! Painting happened on Thursday, and I finally have time to update!

UPDATE: In which OneBoot discovers that a toothbrush is not a high-precision painting tool

Firstly! I tinkered around for awhile trying to decide what the best painting approach would be. From left to right: Using a regular paintbrush, using a spiffy stippling brush (it took be a bit to figure out how to use it properly, hence the blobs), and spattering with a toothbrush.

post-11389-0-40253800-1418527610.jpg

I highly recommend finding some sort of splatter guard when painting with toothbrushes. Such as this super fancy high-tech* shoe box

post-11389-0-97640200-1418527662.jpg

*some claims may be exaggerated

It was pretty easy to decide which technique I liked better (spoiler: it's the toothbrush one), though I do think I'll do a couple of comets with a regular brush, and perhaps a couple of little star clusters with the stippling brush if I can get it to cooperate.

I tried out four different colors of white (I love that I can say this and it totally makes sense!):

Left to right: Ghost White, Splintered Bone, Linen White, Pure White.

post-11389-0-63801400-1418527994.jpg

I think I like the Ghost White and the Pure White the best:

post-11389-0-28445900-1418528359.jpg

Note the use of gloves; I determined rather quickly that this technique is quite...messy.  ^_^

15 minutes and WAY too much fun later, Yephima looks like...well, like a paint bottle exploded nearby.

post-11389-0-44077800-1418528425.jpg

post-11389-0-29808000-1418528433.jpg

I have to say, the effect looks pretty awesome from a distance. Close-up, however, it's obvious that I had the toothbrush way too close when I was doing the splattering, since the thicker spatters left tide marks all over (it's a bit hard to see; look at the area on the inside of her knee):

post-11389-0-89259600-1418528518.jpg

After looking back and forth between my paper and Yephima, I realized the other reason why the effect didn't look as cool on her as on the paper; it's because there is substantially less surface area on Yephima than on the paper, so while the dot size works pretty well on the paper, it's too big on her.

I'm going to repaint her skin and try again, this time with the toothbrush further away, and also with a lot less splattering (I, er, got rather caught up in the fun of the moment). I'm seeing that less is more, in this case.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 16

Looking good. A worthy experiment.

Round spatter will look more like stars than oval splatter. Tip: if the droplets are falling onto her they will be more likely to assume a spherical shape producing a round dot. (As opposed to slinging in from the side.)

I am not enough of a physics major to explain the whys and maths but it is a thing. (Before the civil war they used to mass produce spherical bullets by dropping blobs of molten metal about 80 feet into a water bath to 'freeze' them.)

Second tip: round tooth picks and paper clip ends. Round tooth picks can be nipped off, then filed smooth with a nail file, to produce a round implement-of-star-stamping. The flat machined ends of paperclips will give you two additional sizes. Dip in paint, dab model, pull back: for those special low magnitude (bright) stars.

Anything else you can scrounge with a machined, flat end could be useful.

Also loose masking could help. Draping areas with tissue you don't want 'starred' could save some time/effort.

• Like 2

My husband looked at me like a mad woman th first time I took a thick like...wire brush and blew on it to make blood splatter. Your toothbrush way seems like I would be less winded afterwards. I am intrigued?

• Like 5

My husband looked at me like a mad woman th first time I took a thick like...wire brush and blew on it to make blood splatter. Your toothbrush way seems like I would be less winded afterwards. I am intrigued?

With short nylon bristles you just roll your thumb across them. Paint is launched. If the paint falls nearly vertically —and— strikes at an angle normal to the surface: nice round dots happen.

• Like 2