Nethyrmaul Advice

Hex

I'm getting ready to start working on my Nethyrmaul and I've noticed a few really large gaps I'm going to need to fill. I also notice he tends to lean quite a bit when he's on the base.

Has anyone else had these issues? Anyone have a few tips on gap filling for an epoxy noob?

I think either way, I might start a WIP so that the other Noobs can learn from my mistakes. Unless someone has some great tips, I think I'll be trying to rebalance the whole thing by adding some material under the left side of the base.  

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Becareful boiling the thicker bones material, I tried that and ended up making things much much worse on a few bones stuff I have. Nethys base is too thick to boil, any warps will not straighten out, and may even get a bit worse. At least mine did. The base now sits even more uneven than it did before. My coffin lid warped horribly, it's pretty much useless now, and it's not really even that thick.

Also, anything you want perfectly flat is best attached in some way to an unbendable flat thing. So for the coffin lid I would probably have clamped it to a piece of wood (not metal or glass, they'd keep it hot longer) on the flat portion. For Nethy's base I'd find something to attach it to, maybe even screw it into something on the bottom temporarily. After all, you won't see the bottom of the figure in the end.

That being said, I'm perfectly comfortable with the phrase "If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough."

Most of the time.

• Like 4

The boiling and ice water made a huge difference in the "leaning" problem I had. I'll post some pics in a WIP when I can.

The wings and even the legs get very soft during this process though so I'm not too happy with their current position since I was focused on the body during cool-down. I'm hoping another quick dip and dunk for just the wings will resolve that problem.

• Like 1