To Brush With The Air....

Kharsin

Okay! I got distracted by Ub3r's post on NMM vs. TMM, so now I'm back to ask the question I came to ask:

AIRBRUSHING! 

It's Christmas time, I've been doing this for a bit over a year, and I think I'm ready to step into the world of airbrushing... mabye. I haven't decided if it's worth the time and effort, but I'm curious enough to ask what everyone's using, what books, forums, people, etc. to follow, and what equipment would be best to live with. I've seen Iwata, Badger, and Testor's locally at the Hobby Lobby and Michael's, and Michael's is offering a 50% coupon so I'm thinking one of those compressors, but again, I don't know. Any advice would be awesome!

-K

• Like 3

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The testors ones are actually Aztek airbrushes. I used to have one (and still use the compressor) They aren't 'bad' exactly. But they are not what you want for actually airbrushing a mini. They where meant for larger plastic models. I suppose the real question is what do you want to do with it? All I ever do is large area priming, and a bit of terrain. I have done 1 actual mini, which came out quite alright, but it was a Battletech mech, so not near the level of details as 28 mm figures.

• Like 1

There's a great advice thread from about a year ago in the painting tips subforum. Just search for airbrush and look for the one that's fairly long.

To be honest, that thread should probably be pinned as the question does come up often enough.

Edit: here you go: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/46202-needed-airbrush-equipment-basics-and-recommendations/page-1

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 4

Wow! That was a LOT of info in one post MonkeySloth! Thanks for the link! I think I'm still going to have to do quite a bit of research to figure out which and what, or it may just come down to who what when or what's available. I think I'm leaning towards the Badger Patriot 105 or Renegade Krome. This is one of those circumstances I wish there was someone I knew that owned these and I could play around with them... LOL!

• Like 1

I use a Patriot 105 an a Krome, I prime, seal, and varnish with the 105. I use my Krome .2 needle  to base coat and do cloaks at different angle'spost-7483-0-53866100-1416820906_thumb.jpg like this angel. I use a badger aspire 910 air compressor. I use Reaper Paints thin down with Awsome Paint Job's airbrush thinner, you can find the formula on youtube on Les site, no problem with clogs, get a little tip dry, no problem with an old paint brush, water and damp paper towel. You need to practice a little to get comfortable with the airbrush. It just another tool to save time an is fun.     

The advice I heard from Aaron Lovejoy is to go with a Master G22/G23, which you can get for ~$30.  You'll need to spend more than that on the compressor, though.  I actually just ordered one myself as a second airbrush (though it's still in the mail).

I'm not sure I would take that advice from Aaron. The Master is a knockoff of one of the Iwatas, when you get a good one you are fine but if you have problems with it you may as well just throw it away. Although as you point out it is only $30.

The advice I heard from Aaron Lovejoy is to go with a Master G22/G23, which you can get for ~$30.  You'll need to spend more than that on the compressor, though.  I actually just ordered one myself as a second airbrush (though it's still in the mail).

I'm not sure I would take that advice from Aaron. The Master is a knockoff of one of the Iwatas, when you get a good one you are fine but if you have problems with it you may as well just throw it away. Although as you point out it is only $30.

Yeah, the $30 price point is what makes it worth the risk to me.  Even if it's crap, I'll still get a chance to practice with a "normal" airbrush instead of the pistol-grip one I currently have.

I have two Sparmax airbrushes, my main one is a GP-35c actually... and it is a Iwata knockoff with a .35mm needle ) I think it is similar to a Master airbrush. TBH I love it, easy to use and clean, smooth operation.

I could get an Iwata (Badger is not found locally) and I seriously want to, but I don't know if I could tell the difference at this moment.

An airbrush is like any other tool we use, a quality tool will give you better results. I think the difference in airbrushes is really based on what your intended purpose is. If all you are going to do with an airbrush is prime and maybe do base coating or initial highlighting and shading (which is what Aaron uses that Masters brush for) then I'm not sure what airbrush you buy makes that much of a difference. I would still go with a dual action over a single action and if you are interested in the Grex pistol style try one out before you buy it. I was excited about the Grex until someone showed it to me at ReaperCon. My hands are just to big to use it. I had a hard time holding properly the grip was so small.

The devil is in the details as they say and while I haven't used the Master I would be curious to see how fine a line you can obtain with it and how low an air pressure it will operate with. For fine patterns on small pieces you need low pressure to avoid blowing your miniature over!

• Like 1

Somehow I missed all of these other posts! Then again, it's been quite a busy week. I'm leaning towards the Badger brushes, as I believe I can pick those up locally as well as the compressors. 

I use a badger aspire 910 air compressor. 

Is there a reason you went with the 910? I get the impression that that's a "pro" model, and I'm concerned that it may be overkill. With that said, it looks like a lot of people like them and I'm tempted to pick up one of these.

It looks like I'll pick up a Patriot 105 as well, then possibly a Krome later. Or should I just start with the Krome? Hmmm....

All of this may be moot as we're thinking of getting a new TV for the family for Christmas, which would devour the air brush funds. This may have to be put off to post Christmas / Tax Refund time. We're currently using a 36" CRT and I'm tired of looking at people's noses on TV instead of the full picture. Then again, we're also thinking of reducing TV time overall as it truly does rot your brain. LOL!

SO, I'm thinking the Bagder 910 compressor as well as the Patriot 105... Is this adequate? I like buying quality and spending a bit more from the onset rather than dealing with crappy equipment at a later date. I can spread this out a couple of weeks locally at Michael's and get pricing lower than what I'm seeing online through coupons.... Wait, no, Amazon is much cheaper.

($260 airbrush set-up is much cheaper than $700+TV, but not "family beneficial)

Thank you for all of your input! This has been most helpful, even if it doesn't quite happen for Christmas!  :upside:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Kharsin
      I need to start a WIP for this project so I'll stay motivated to finish it. This may be an entry for the 40mm+ category on the year long contest. We'll see how it turns out. Right now I'm just working on getting it done.

We're working on 03680: Thornwood Defender and it's actually further along than this, but I'm currently killing time in a Starbucks waiting to take the kids to see Marvel Universe Live! In the meantime, enjoy the prime pics :)

The Bee is mounted on piano wire as there's no real base to mount it on. I'm planning on the bee being on liftoff so the wire is extra long. It's kind of challenging to paint having a piece that size with only a wire to manipulate it with. I'm using medical gloves to handle it when necessary, but the vise is useless for anything other than holding it while it dries.

The little gnome rider is well, little. He's currently done up in green sparkly armor, but those pics will have to come later!

Thanks for checking out this project! See yall soon at reapercon!

-K
    • By Kharsin
      So I've been under the weather for about a week or so with the crud and haven't painted the entire time. I didn't feel like pausing every 30 seconds or so to hack a lung up, or run to blow my nose, wash hands, etc. Basically, tonight was the first night I've felt up to painting so far in the New Year. Anyhoo, here's my entry for the "Bones" Beauty Pageant. I put bones in quotes as Cassie was the only model I have in my drawer 'o shame, and she's metal, so there's that. She's been sitting in said drawer for quite some time, as I believe that she was probably in my initial order of Reaper products...

I'm cheating a bit with this one as I'm actually going to use a prefab base from... Um... forget the company right now but I'll have it when I get to that point. I normally just make bases, but I liked this one when I came across it at the FLGS.

At any rate, here we go! A bit of brown liner to start. I haven't used BL for the last few models, but figured that I should with Cassie as she's so small:

Next, skin basecoat and eyes... I'm gonna have to work on the left one eventually...

Hair basecoat... I went with pink, of course! I had a female gnome something or other back when I played WOW, and she had pink hair. Aleighanna was her name.

And here's where I stopped tonight.

I've got a few fun things planned for this one. I hate that I'm wayyyyy behind as this was supposed to be the Month 'O the Little People for me, in that I was doing all dwarves, gnomes, etc. It looks like I may be only doing Cassie, but we'll see!

-K
    • By Kharsin
      Okay! I'm about to have to leave to actually deliver this present at our family party, so my post will be brief. I'll come back for more commentary and thoughts later as I'm probably about to get the "eye" from my wife... Here it goes!

First, this was a speed build. I think I started this one Saturday sometime. I'd have to check the WIP, but I want to say Saturday sounds right. The reason for this is that I thought the Year of the Giants diorama was due on the 23rd... which it wasn't.... anyway...

To the Pics!

First of all, a general round of the subject....

Here's a pic centered on the Doctor....

And a Doctor Close-Up...

One focused on Rose...

And her close up...

Also one of the detail I tried to freehand on her back around 4:40am or so...ugh...

So let me be brief!

1. To everyone who offered advice and ideas for source material as I'm not overly familiar with Dr. Who (I've only about 4 shows into the NuWho, and I've never seen a show featuring the 10th Doctor)... 
      THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

2. A special thanks to Willen who provided a lot of reference material and information having done this project in his AWESOME Dr. Who Diorama he entered for Spaceship Superstar! Dude, you rock! I couldn't have pulled this off without you!

3. I'm overall please how this came together for a speed build for my nephew. The TARDIS didn't come out perfect and if I had to do it again, I'd do it all in balsa with better tools as my TARDIS isn't square, which caused some issues but overall I'm pleased.

4. Yes the blue light and interior light flash. It was a pain to wire it all. It does work and that is a miracle! LOL!

Okay! That's all for now! Please leave any comments as I love to read them! I'm going to enjoy Christmas Eve now so I'll chat with you guys later. Thanks for reading!

-K
    • By Kharsin
      Okay everyone! I'm speed building a Dr.Who diorama for my Nephew for Christmas. Yes, it's in a few days and I'm way behind, so I'm looking at a few "most of the day" workdays to have this ready for, well, Christmas Eve Night! However, I'm not very familiar with the series at all, so I've been asking questions here and there about the 10th Doctor.

At any rate, I've been using Willen's awesome diorama for a jump off point as it was such an amazing piece! He's also been helping me with reference as well, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH WILLEN! Here's a link to the Dr. Who diorama WIP he did for "Spaceship Superstar."

So here's some crazily spaced photographs as I was more busy building than pic taking:

This is what happened after I took a Dremel to the base.

Here's the reason:

I'm building this TARDIS up out of Matt Board as I'm still not overly sure exactly what plasticard that everyone uses actually is. The Matt Board was kind of a pain to cut, so I'm not sure if I'll use it again or no. The trick was getting everything to an approximate scale.

Here's the TARDIS where it currently stands. I'm about to do some more work on it after lunch and go until I can't go anymore! Keep in mind I still have to paint the 10th Doctor as well as Rose....

Inside view of TARDIS. I plan on adding an interior flashing light as well as a flashing beacon.

Now the question I currently have (I'm sure there will be more and I'll totally appreciate the help!): I'm trying to find an appropriate scenario for this diorama. As I I've only seen a few episodes, let me ask if it would be appropriate to locate the scene in some crazy environment. I was originally going to do a modern street scene with brick pavers and everything, but I don't think I'm going to get this project finished if I go that route. Instead, I'm thinking of doing some sort of ancient ruin, maybe with an artifact or something in the scenery. Here's a mock-up I put together around 4am this morning after I finally quit. The TARDIS would be located in the center of the obvious square, and I'd probably mount a gold face on the triangular piece and put the Dr. and Rose somewhere in the scene. I'd put in additional detail via Milliput, sand, flowers, etc., and trim up the overlying bricks. Would this be acceptable? I try to get things right when I do things like this as I don't want to offend the fans by my ignorance. I suppose something like this would fall into the realm of "Fan Fiction Via Creative Something Or Other...." 

Here's a pic of the mock-up:

Any advice or ideas would greatly be appreciated! Thanks for reading!

-K
    • By Kharsin
      Okay Ladies and Gents... It's time for Year of the Giants: Part Deaux, in which we finally give Kaya a place to hang her spear... or throw it, rather. At any rate, this is where I left off in October when I finished Kaya:

And here's a post as to where I'm kind of at tonight. I've basically started hacking at the cork, staining my base (I can't help it, I love the look of stain. I do paint some bases black, but something about stain just finishes a lot of projects off for me, if it matches), and figuring out exactly where to put the beasty. 

I'm just going to put a teaser pic up now as it's late and I don't feel like editing a lot of pics. Here ya go:

Anyhoo, I'll probably be posting to this thread occasionally as I work out the kinks and figure out exactly what I'm doing. Thanks for checking it out!

-K