Dragon Age Inquisition

Chrome

From what I have heard, yes it is less tactical. It doesn't bother me as I have never used tactics when doing the fights. I always play in the lowest difficulty because I do not want to worry about the combat and having to coordinate the party. I am more into the story and quests then combat. If I cannot beat something the first time around, I move in and return when I have leaveled up.

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story about the bears - I have not fought one of those yet - seen em but stayed the heck away (they seem rather large) - watched one slaughter a group of NPC bad guys last night from a distance. This is maybe a stupid question but how did you know what level they were?

Combat for me is pretty much chaos and trying to micromanage or be overly tactical seems near impossible - my main is a two hander specialty fighter so I usually pile in to where the most bad guys are and swing away and taunt like mad. It looks great and all and I do not mind it, but I do still miss the combat style from DAO....

Anytime you click on a target, their Name, Level, and Hit Points are displayed up at the top of the screen. The name and HP bar are super obvious, but I never noticed their level was listed there until I was about 15 hours into the game. One side effect of combat being so hectic, you don't have time to just look at everything that's on your screen. Your attention is held down at the bottom of the screen where your character is.

Also, the Tab key seems to select the closest enemy. Anytime I encounter something for the first time, I pause the game (you can usually do this while they're in view, but far enough away that combat hasn't started yet) and hit Tab to see what they are.

That came in very handy for the first time I encountered a Dragon! :lol: It was level 12. I was level 9. I ran away.

FYI, I just went back last night and fought that dragon. I was level 13 and my sidekicks were all lvl 12, same as the dragon. I just barely beat it. It was fun and challenging.

So its less tactical now and more button mashing?

Yes. You have to click your mouse button for each attack and hit the corresponding number keys to trigger your special abilities. Every one of your characters gets a Flanking bonus to their attacks from the side or rear of the target, but there's really no way for you to tell your sidekicks where to stand unless you want to constantly pause the game and micromanage everyone, which would be incredibly frustrating I think. Especially since the AI options are so limited and so restrictive at the same time. 

Ha - yep I found the level indicator since posting that - its right there and visible just never noticed it before!

I think I ran into that same dragon you mention already (I am level 5) - I kinda assumed it was too hard (this was prior to understanding the targeting will show its level) but I ran out after it - it strafed with fire and I ran away like heck when I saw how quick it was hurting the whole party.....

Wish I could find a way to tell the party to all stand back and fire with ranged weapons from well away then switch to melee once the monsters close - I have tried to do that through the tactical thing but what a pain....

Other than that I am starting to like the combat for the most part - gets fun when the enemies teleport or disappear on you....

Was playing last night (for the first time) - got to level 4, am clearing out the Mages/Templars area. I just found the Templar Waterfall and wasn't able to quite figure out where the hidden item or entrance is yet.

I've cleared that entire map and I still haven't managed to find that hidden treasure. I'm beginning to think that it's a bug.  Regardless, you'll occasionally notice the ring on your mini-map will start to pulse, and maybe one of your companions will make a comment like "we should look around here". When that happens, hit the V key to Search. Follow the blimp beneath your character's feet to find the hidden loot. (Just in case you haven't come across the in-game explanation yet.)

Was playing last night (for the first time) - got to level 4, am clearing out the Mages/Templars area. I just found the Templar Waterfall and wasn't able to quite figure out where the hidden item or entrance is yet.

I've cleared that entire map and I still haven't managed to find that hidden treasure. I'm beginning to think that it's a bug.  Regardless, you'll occasionally notice the ring on your mini-map will start to pulse, and maybe one of your companions will make a comment like "we should look around here". When that happens, hit the V key to Search. Follow the blimp beneath your character's feet to find the hidden loot. (Just in case you haven't come across the in-game explanation yet.)

I use the Xbox 1, so I have to push down on the left rotating directional button to get the pulse. They did say that something looks interesting around that waterfall and it's where I've seen the explanation of how to look for that hidden loot. 

I may just look online and see if others are having a similar problem with this particular area's loot.

So, not even five minutes into the game with the patch and found something fixed that I did not know was broken. I knew that using the search thing would help you find things in the area but I did not know that stuff like loot and resources would flash on the mini map. It just became extremely more useful.

• Like 1

I noticed that last night too. Pretty useful.

I hit a new bug last night tho. Not sure if it was caused by the patch or I just hadn't triggered it before, but when I went to sit on my throne to judge one of the captives, the cutscene never started. The screen went black, I had the loading icon, but it just stayed that way for several minutes, with the background noise of the people standing around me.  I had to kill the game and reload. Tried again, same thing. I reloaded again, and then I noticed that all of the NPCs were gathered around the throne like they would be for the cutscene, which was really funny b/c that put Josephine in two places at the same time. She was standing near the throne, but also sitting at her desk.  I just left and traveled to a new location, haven't been back to Skyhold yet to see if everything is back to normal or not.

Another funny thing that happened last night - I unlocked Bull Rush on my warrior and the first time I used it, it seemed to work just fine. The 2nd time I used it, my guy ran through 3 monsters and then just kept on truckin' on. He ran down the hill, across a road, through a ditch, and eventually hit a wall and stopped about 100 meters away from the fight, all the while playing the little Bull Rush animation. By the time I got back to the fight, it was all over. :lol:

• Like 3

Another funny thing that happened last night - I unlocked Bull Rush on my warrior and the first time I used it, it seemed to work just fine. The 2nd time I used it, my guy ran through 3 monsters and then just kept on truckin' on. He ran down the hill, across a road, through a ditch, and eventually hit a wall and stopped about 100 meters away from the fight, all the while playing the little Bull Rush animation. By the time I got back to the fight, it was all over. :lol:

now I want to buy this game! :lol: