Stones Dungeon Tiles - Frontline Games

Reaperbryan

Less that 1K to go before the big new tile stretch goal. I think Frontline Games might show us what we'll be getting before we hit $40,000. I hope whatever it is will be PVC. They have given us lots of metal and resin options but I'm ready to buy more Stones tiles. I'd love love love to have some for towns, both wood floor for inns and shops, and cobblestone (or another suitable town street texture). With the 2-sided tiles he could cover many town settings with a single release.

I can't even imagine what he would come up with if we unlock another double sided tile. Paved bricks for towns and sewers could be useful. 

• Like 3

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even imagine what he would come up with if we unlock another double sided tile. Paved bricks for towns and sewers could be useful.

Hmm, I dunno, paved bricks would kind of be redundant I feel. Honestly, a wooden planked floor is really the only one I feel would be nice to have (for setting up the scene for that big barroom brawl); most everything else I'd like to use these for I think would be fine with the original flagstone design. More natural environments, like woods and swamps and stuff, I think would just look odd in this 2x2 format, so I'm not really seeing that.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a tile with a more intricate design on it. Think something along the idea of a mosaic pattern of some kind. For the more ornate dungeon chamber.

Definitely. You should recommend that on the KS. We could possibly use that for a wizards lair, a shrine room, or an Elven city.

Hmm, I dunno, paved bricks would kind of be redundant I feel. Honestly, a wooden planked floor is really the only one I feel would be nice to have (for setting up the scene for that big barroom brawl); most everything else I'd like to use these for I think would be fine with the original flagstone design. More natural environments, like woods and swamps and stuff, I think would just look odd in this 2x2 format, so I'm not really seeing that.

I wouldn't recommend natural environments like woods or swamps either. A natural cave floor without the grid would be useful for immersion though. Some maps have cave rooms off of the dungeon areas. It would be nice to differentiate natural stone rooms from carved stone rooms or for simple random caves and players who simply aren't into grids. I can easily survive without it. 

A brick texture would be useful to differentiate "ground floor" home levels from "upstairs" levels or streets from sidewalks. Cobblestone, flagstone or the back side of the current tile would probably do that better anyway. I'm just trying to float some ideas. I'll take whatever we get. 

I'd like to see a tile with a more intricate design on it. Think something along the idea of a mosaic pattern of some kind. For the more ornate dungeon chamber.

Definitely. You should recommend that on the KS. We could possibly use that for a wizards lair, a shrine room, or an Elven city.

Check the kickstarter CA. It's already been done. I thought you were more on top of things. How disappointing.

You just haven't been the same since the Fireball.

:;):

• Like 3

Check the kickstarter CA. It's already been done. I thought you were more on top of things. How disappointing.

You just haven't been the same since the Fireball.

:;):

I blame Trodax. He rattled my brain. A chaotic neutral wizard cannot be trusted! Gave me a -2 penalty to all perception checks until the next stretch goal is revealed. At least I hope it isn't permanent!

Edited to besmirch Trodax lol

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 3

Spaceship corridor floors maybe?

To be honest, I couldn't afford both scifi and fantasy tiles in the same kickstarter in the quantity I would want.

If they did a scifi themed tile kickstarter after they've fulfilled this one then I'd be all over it.

We have wood floors, cobblestone, large tiles and small tiles.

I like the wooden and cobblestone sets but the small and large tiles are disappointing. I wish he would've made something ornate like Darsc suggested. Cavern floor is another useful look. Plain squares are iffy.

The smaller squares are obviously more versatile of the two sizes cause you can easily paint up larger squares with them and it might be possible to do some interesting designs or patterns with the smaller squares.

But yeah. I would've liked something more intricate and ornate.

I also would have liked these tiles double sided as pairs...say small squares on one side and larger on the flip side. Same with cobblestones and wooden planks.

Maybe there's some production issues like the tiles not being thick enough to accommodate that, maybe there's financial reasons... I don't know.

Anyone else concerned that this updates looks to have doubled their molding costs?

So long as they've planned out their costs carefully it shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping they've studied the Reaper model closely in more than just presentation and communication.
  • Like 3

I suggested double-sided brick walls (bricks lined in the same direction), and double-sided flagstone tiles:

* With brick walls, you could use one side as brick, and the other side as cobblestone. Or both sides as a standing wall. Just pin the wall to terrain.

* Double-sided flagstones let you paint one side as an outside flagstone (grass between flagstones) and inside (dirt or cement between flagstones). I've also seen flagstone walls, so the tiles could be used as walls as well.

Wooden-planked floors that actually looked like wooden-planked floors would be nice.  The planks are usually staggered rather than lined up evenly like that.

Anyone else concerned that this updates looks to have doubled their molding costs?

Yes.  Also that they are offering stuff that is tangential to the core project (felt mat, gaming cases) and which will add complications in fulfillment.  The appeal of these tiles is presumably that they don't need special storage solutions and won't damage a table-top, so why the accessories?

I'm hoping they've studied the Reaper model closely in more than just presentation and communication.

The somewhat heavy-handed imitation has puzzled me.  I don't like to be negative but I am very tentative about this project.

• Like 2

Wooden-planked floors that actually looked like wooden-planked floors would be nice.  The planks are usually staggered rather than lined up evenly like that.

The somewhat heavy-handed imitation has puzzled me.  I don't like to be negative but I am very tentative about this project.

To be honest, I agree they don't look too natural with the 1" grid on them. In my head I didn't see that ahead of time, but it makes sense now. There are three planks on the sculpt that are shorted to help break up the uniformity, but I also don't think it does enough. While the stones have the grid, they also have cracks at different angles so everything isn't perpendicular.

I'm not too worried about the Reaper imitation, from everything Bryan has said here they are basically buddies with Reaper.

The smaller squares are obviously more versatile of the two sizes cause you can easily paint up larger squares with them and it might be possible to do some interesting designs or patterns with the smaller squares.

But yeah. I would've liked something more intricate and ornate.

I also would have liked these tiles double sided as pairs...say small squares on one side and larger on the flip side. Same with cobblestones and wooden planks.

Maybe there's some production issues like the tiles not being thick enough to accommodate that, maybe there's financial reasons... I don't know.

Holy chessboard batman! Totally not what I was expecting. I was expecting more ornate tiles for a temple, summoning circle, throne room, etc not bathroom/subway tile. Also agree doubling up the new options would have been better, but I'm guessing more costly for them. Looks like last night was a bit rough too... -5 backers. Bound to happen at some point. Depending on what the cost is I'll probably add a plank set, but pass on the other three.

Edited by jcg

Eh, with the 1-inch grid, it's kind of inevitable.  And for a lot of backers, it'd be much less useful without that grid. 

I'm with you on this one. I'd rather the 1" grid and uniformity, than something that looked natural and lose the grid. If I want more natural looking woodgrain, there's a Happy Seppuku stamp for that.

This mirrors my thoughts on the small tiles as well. With the small tiles, I can still paint a more interesting looking mosaic floor. If they went with a more interesting tile pattern, then I'd only want a couple pieces to avoid redundancies. With the small tiles, I can get a bunch of them, and paint in the pattern varieties.