Smoked Turkey: A Tale Of Thanksgiving. Kind of. Well, Not Really.

Dr.Bedlam

Swelp me, he'd FOUND the bag of giblets, pondered it for a minute, and then ASSUMED IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THERE, and stuffed it back in. Luckily, the bag hadn't melted. But yes, we did get a bit of a surprise when we carved off all the breast and got a peekaboo of the baggie in there...

To be fair, I did that the very first time I cooked a turkey on my own. It had always been my dad that prepared the turkey in our family, and we never ever had giblet gravy (it gave my mom the willies, for some reason; I thought it was delicious when we had it at grandma's house :) ). So, when I encountered this little baggie of meaty bits inside the turkey, I assumed they were supposed to be in there. Same with the neck, I'd never seen it before because I was always off helping my mom with baking stuff while dad was doing turkey stuff. It wasn't until I called my dad about an unrelated question (do I tie the legs shut or not?) that he corrected me on what should and should not be inside the turkey before it went into the oven.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey breast is hella good cooked on a showtime rotisserie, just make sure you tie up the wing stubs. If you don't they will hit the heating element and start to char, burn and smoke.

ETA: don't have to do anything to the meat either, just push the rods through, secure it and cook. After you do the first one, then you can try with the seasonings. The meat stays very moist because the fat doesn't have a consistant down to run to, just don't remove the built in thermometer if there is one, it is like the bathtub stopper for the fat and juices if pulled out you lose most of them.

Edited by FaekiasDracon
  • Like 1

Rereading this story, I realize that the Troll was wrong; you can't feed three young men on one turkey for a couple weeks. Now that I think about it, I was rendering the carcass for soup in the crock pot the following Monday...

• Like 1

Yeah, but three of them were women. COLLEGE STUDENT women, the kind who always order salads... truth is, the Troll himself pretty much demolished that bird without much effort. Of course, Bobo and I worked hard to keep up, since neither of us had put any money down for the turkey, but the Troll, well, we called him that for a reason...

• Like 2