Baphomet69

Human/Undead Chess Set

So a few years ago I made a Human vs. Undead chess set (using all Reaper figs, of course). Unfortunately, I did the humans in solid white and undead in solid black (and so many layers of paint and sealer that they looked horrible). I also no longer have them. I'm thinking of doing them again, this time in full color. The humans will be white with blue trim, the undead will be black with lavender trim (anyone remember the 'chess' cover paintings from Dragon magazine issues 83, 86, 89, 118? Look them up, they're gorgeous and will be my inspiration).

Anyway, I love lists, so here are the figures I used and will use again:

Human set:

King

02082_G.jpg

02082: King Angus Stormhand (I know, more Conan than medeival, but c'mon)

Queen

02083_G.jpg

02083: Queen Shanon Stormhand (again, more Amazon than medeival, but c'mon)

Bishops

02087_w_1.jpg

02087: Brother Louis IV

Knights (a mash up)

This knight (with lance bent lower):

14231_G.jpg

14231: Templar Heavy Cavalry, Crusaders Adept

On this steed (rearing on hind legs to fit on plinth):

14230_G.jpg

14230: Sir Daman,Crusaders Hero

Rooks

02815_G.jpg

02815: Pillar of Good

Pawns

06036_G.jpg

06036: Templar Knights

I've thought about changing it to an Anhurian set this time, but the only ones that would really change would be the pawns and knights, and I don't think the knights would fit anyway.

Undead set:

King

30010_w_1.jpg

30010: Dragoth the Defiler, Undead Lord on Throne (I thought about the vampire male/female on thrones, but wanted pure skeletal undead, see the rest of the figs)

Queen

02068_G.jpg

02068: Lucrella Lich Queen (same reasoning as above. Maybe I'll do a vampire set some day)

Bishops

02310_w_1.jpg

02310: St Tarkus, Dire-dead (ok, not skeletal, but if he ain't an Evil Bishop...)

Knights

14171_G.jpg

14171: Gadrun, Necropolis Sergeant (back to the bones, and the rearing horse fits on the plinth)

Rooks

02814_G.jpg

02814: Pillar of Evil

Pawns

06133_G.jpg

06133: Skeletal Warrior (9), Necropolis Grunt

Edited by Baphomet69
  • Like 20

The 30010 Dragoth has an optional sketetal head, but is considerably more expensive ($24.99!). Just throwing that out there. You have some great picks for both sides.

• Like 1

I actually want to thank Reaper in a big way for making the ability to choose so many complete chess sets out of their figures possible (though I'm finding the orcs a little more difficult)! It's hella fun!

I want to show the lists I used for the 2 Egyptian sets as well, but I don't recall what all I used for each. I'll have to dig them out first. It'll be a while.

• Like 1

The 30010 Dragoth has an optional sketetal head, but is considerably more expensive ($24.99!). Just throwing that out there. You have some great picks for both sides.

Upon further review, I think I may actually go with 30010, thanks!

because I didn't know he existed. Now I do, and he's somehow managed to get into my cart.

Yeah, mine too. Weird how he just crawled in like that...

• Like 1

On 11/29/2014 at 7:34 PM, tiniest rhombus said:

Love

On 11/29/2014 at 7:21 PM, Baphomet69 said:

So a few years ago I made a Human vs. Undead chess set (using all Reaper figs, of course). Unfortunately, I did the humans in solid white and undead in solid black (and so many layers of paint and sealer that they looked horrible). I also no longer have them. I'm thinking of doing them again, this time in full color. The humans will be white with blue trim, the undead will be black with lavender trim (anyone remember the 'chess' cover paintings from Dragon magazine issues 83, 86, 89, 118? Look them up, they're gorgeous and will be my inspiration).

Anyway, I love lists, so here are the figures I used and will use again:

Human set:

King

02082_G.jpg

02082: King Angus Stormhand (I know, more Conan than medeival, but c'mon)

Queen

02083_G.jpg

02083: Queen Shanon Stormhand (again, more Amazon than medeival, but c'mon)

Bishops

02087_w_1.jpg

02087: Brother Louis IV

Knights (a mash up)

This knight (with lance bent lower):

14231_G.jpg

14231: Templar Heavy Cavalry, Crusaders Adept

On this steed (rearing on hind legs to fit on plinth):

14230_G.jpg

14230: Sir Daman,Crusaders Hero

Rooks

02815_G.jpg

02815: Pillar of Good

Pawns

06036_G.jpg

06036: Templar Knights

I've thought about changing it to an Anhurian set this time, but the only ones that would really change would be the pawns and knights, and I don't think the knights would fit anyway.

Undead set:

King

30010_w_1.jpg

30010: Dragoth the Defiler, Undead Lord on Throne (I thought about the vampire male/female on thrones, but wanted pure skeletal undead, see the rest of the figs)

Queen

02068_G.jpg

02068: Lucrella Lich Queen (same reasoning as above. Maybe I'll do a vampire set some day)

Bishops

02310_w_1.jpg

02310: St Tarkus, Dire-dead (ok, not skeletal, but if he ain't an Evil Bishop...)

Knights

14171_G.jpg

14171: Gadrun, Necropolis Sergeant (back to the bones, and the rearing horse fits on the plinth)

Rooks

02814_G.jpg

02814: Pillar of Evil

Pawns

06133_G.jpg

06133: Skeletal Warrior (9), Necropolis Grunt

I'm liking this a lot!

• Like 3