Okay Ladies and Gents... It's time for Year of the Giants: Part Deaux, in which we finally give Kaya a place to hang her spear... or throw it, rather. At any rate, this is where I left off in October when I finished Kaya:

post-12973-0-74212100-1417418962.jpg

And here's a post as to where I'm kind of at tonight. I've basically started hacking at the cork, staining my base (I can't help it, I love the look of stain. I do paint some bases black, but something about stain just finishes a lot of projects off for me, if it matches), and figuring out exactly where to put the beasty. 

post-12973-0-15344400-1417419178_thumb.jpg

I'm just going to put a teaser pic up now as it's late and I don't feel like editing a lot of pics. Here ya go:

post-12973-0-83557500-1417418975_thumb.jpg

Anyhoo, I'll probably be posting to this thread occasionally as I work out the kinks and figure out exactly what I'm doing. Thanks for checking it out!

-K

• Like 13

Right now I'm just hoping that it turns out and my eyes don't fall out from so much basing and painting to be done in such a short amount of time... LOL!

Oh man... My head hurts! I may need to utilize Simple Green to strip the Wyrm and start over. I'm not satisfied with it and I don't think it'll fit in the scene I  have in my head. I may be able to make it work, but I'm not sure. This is the first time I've painted something giant and man, that is a lot of stuff to paint! Maybe I should break down and get that airbrush after all..... Hmmmmm.....

Tonight's update...

THIS!

post-12973-0-28500400-1417930238_thumb.jpg

Because of THIS!

post-12973-0-66878100-1417930239_thumb.jpg

That is all! Updates to follow once I start over....  <_<

• Like 2

She took a bit of damage during the painting portion... I'll be lucky if this thing ever gets off of the ground! At any rate, damage repaired, paint stripped to the best of my ability, and final drying before reapplication of primer (black this time!) and paint. We'll see if we can get anywhere this time later on...

post-12973-0-27307100-1417989649_thumb.jpg

Edit: Un... or is it De-painting portion rather? I'm about to go reprime again. Wish I had that airbrush about now! Lol!

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 4

Breathe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Step at a time !!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be overwhelmed by the task..

You do it...ONE STEP at a time....

and as Ub3r said You can Dooooooooooooooooooo EEEEEEEEEEEEEtttttttttttttttttttt   !!!

(oh, and I am DIGGING the HECK out of that base !!!!!!!!!!!).

• Like 2

Thanks Jay. Those giant sized minis don't seem so giant sized until you take a #1 to them...

• Like 3

Okay, didn't get a ton of time with the Wyrm today as we had company this evening. I'm going to end up rushing to finish this project, which is what typically happens, but I wish I wouldn't have slowed down a week ago. This is the first time I've felt the need to completely start over on a piece, so I guess that's a first for something. Anyway today we managed to go from the above, half destroyed piece to this:

post-12973-0-26950700-1418022760_thumb.jpg

Then prime in black to this:

post-12973-0-46216700-1418022761_thumb.jpg

I like it a lot more already! Hopefully I'll get to do a full paint session on her tomorrow and she'll end up in a better place than before. Lessons learned! LOL!

-K

• Like 3

It's been a few days since I've updated this WIP, so I figured I needed to throw in a progress report. So I stripped the Wyrm, reprimed with Scale Color Black Primer, considered my options, and decided to go with a traditional-ish representation of the old Remorhaz. I think I recall something about the original creature in the old Drizzt books, and a google search includes something from a forum about Bruenor fighting one along with having an awesome description of one, but I don't recall which book it was in. There are tons of them and I haven't read through them in quite some time. However, I know there is a LOT of Icewind Dale in them so goodness knows where and when that encounter happened.

At any rate, I haven't gotten to work on her in a couple of days, so the last few pics are from... Monday through Thursday night? She's got about another night or two of work before mounting to the base for weathering.... I guess! LOL!

Basecoatish...

post-12973-0-70917100-1418541396.jpg

Layers...

post-12973-0-77414600-1418541397.jpg

Slightly More Layers...

post-12973-0-76606300-1418541398.jpg

Even More Layers....

post-12973-0-81978800-1418541399.jpg

Yup.... More... I think....

post-12973-0-79343900-1418541400.jpg

Okay, this is where she stands now. Several views:

post-12973-0-79723700-1418541401.jpg

post-12973-0-97021700-1418541402.jpg

post-12973-0-83508500-1418541403.jpg

post-12973-0-79726100-1418541404.jpg

I may bump the scales on her back up a bit more, but I'm going to concentrate on the eyes, the frills on her back, and of course teeth, claws, and belly again. I'm liking this muted version a lot more than where I was originally going. It'll fit in with Kaya's paint job and world much better.

Thanks for reading!

-K

• Like 9

Nice job so far!

I would highlight those deep red on the fins (or whatever they are) towards light orange / skin colors, just to make a comment here other than "wow nice"  :blush:

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited about the fins... for now! They're basically still in base coat, and they're next on the agenda as they'll probably be more difficult to do than the ventral surface & claws & teeth. Apparently remorhaz generate internal heat, so here's hoping to accomplish that visually!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kharsin
      I need to start a WIP for this project so I'll stay motivated to finish it. This may be an entry for the 40mm+ category on the year long contest. We'll see how it turns out. Right now I'm just working on getting it done.

We're working on 03680: Thornwood Defender and it's actually further along than this, but I'm currently killing time in a Starbucks waiting to take the kids to see Marvel Universe Live! In the meantime, enjoy the prime pics :)

The Bee is mounted on piano wire as there's no real base to mount it on. I'm planning on the bee being on liftoff so the wire is extra long. It's kind of challenging to paint having a piece that size with only a wire to manipulate it with. I'm using medical gloves to handle it when necessary, but the vise is useless for anything other than holding it while it dries.

The little gnome rider is well, little. He's currently done up in green sparkly armor, but those pics will have to come later!

Thanks for checking out this project! See yall soon at reapercon!

-K
    • By Kharsin
      So I've been under the weather for about a week or so with the crud and haven't painted the entire time. I didn't feel like pausing every 30 seconds or so to hack a lung up, or run to blow my nose, wash hands, etc. Basically, tonight was the first night I've felt up to painting so far in the New Year. Anyhoo, here's my entry for the "Bones" Beauty Pageant. I put bones in quotes as Cassie was the only model I have in my drawer 'o shame, and she's metal, so there's that. She's been sitting in said drawer for quite some time, as I believe that she was probably in my initial order of Reaper products...

I'm cheating a bit with this one as I'm actually going to use a prefab base from... Um... forget the company right now but I'll have it when I get to that point. I normally just make bases, but I liked this one when I came across it at the FLGS.

At any rate, here we go! A bit of brown liner to start. I haven't used BL for the last few models, but figured that I should with Cassie as she's so small:

Next, skin basecoat and eyes... I'm gonna have to work on the left one eventually...

Hair basecoat... I went with pink, of course! I had a female gnome something or other back when I played WOW, and she had pink hair. Aleighanna was her name.

And here's where I stopped tonight.

I've got a few fun things planned for this one. I hate that I'm wayyyyy behind as this was supposed to be the Month 'O the Little People for me, in that I was doing all dwarves, gnomes, etc. It looks like I may be only doing Cassie, but we'll see!

-K
    • By Kharsin
      Okay! I'm about to have to leave to actually deliver this present at our family party, so my post will be brief. I'll come back for more commentary and thoughts later as I'm probably about to get the "eye" from my wife... Here it goes!

First, this was a speed build. I think I started this one Saturday sometime. I'd have to check the WIP, but I want to say Saturday sounds right. The reason for this is that I thought the Year of the Giants diorama was due on the 23rd... which it wasn't.... anyway...

To the Pics!

First of all, a general round of the subject....

Here's a pic centered on the Doctor....

And a Doctor Close-Up...

One focused on Rose...

And her close up...

Also one of the detail I tried to freehand on her back around 4:40am or so...ugh...

So let me be brief!

1. To everyone who offered advice and ideas for source material as I'm not overly familiar with Dr. Who (I've only about 4 shows into the NuWho, and I've never seen a show featuring the 10th Doctor)... 
      THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

2. A special thanks to Willen who provided a lot of reference material and information having done this project in his AWESOME Dr. Who Diorama he entered for Spaceship Superstar! Dude, you rock! I couldn't have pulled this off without you!

3. I'm overall please how this came together for a speed build for my nephew. The TARDIS didn't come out perfect and if I had to do it again, I'd do it all in balsa with better tools as my TARDIS isn't square, which caused some issues but overall I'm pleased.

4. Yes the blue light and interior light flash. It was a pain to wire it all. It does work and that is a miracle! LOL!

Okay! That's all for now! Please leave any comments as I love to read them! I'm going to enjoy Christmas Eve now so I'll chat with you guys later. Thanks for reading!

-K
    • By Kharsin
      Okay everyone! I'm speed building a Dr.Who diorama for my Nephew for Christmas. Yes, it's in a few days and I'm way behind, so I'm looking at a few "most of the day" workdays to have this ready for, well, Christmas Eve Night! However, I'm not very familiar with the series at all, so I've been asking questions here and there about the 10th Doctor.

At any rate, I've been using Willen's awesome diorama for a jump off point as it was such an amazing piece! He's also been helping me with reference as well, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH WILLEN! Here's a link to the Dr. Who diorama WIP he did for "Spaceship Superstar."

So here's some crazily spaced photographs as I was more busy building than pic taking:

This is what happened after I took a Dremel to the base.

Here's the reason:

I'm building this TARDIS up out of Matt Board as I'm still not overly sure exactly what plasticard that everyone uses actually is. The Matt Board was kind of a pain to cut, so I'm not sure if I'll use it again or no. The trick was getting everything to an approximate scale.

Here's the TARDIS where it currently stands. I'm about to do some more work on it after lunch and go until I can't go anymore! Keep in mind I still have to paint the 10th Doctor as well as Rose....

Inside view of TARDIS. I plan on adding an interior flashing light as well as a flashing beacon.

Now the question I currently have (I'm sure there will be more and I'll totally appreciate the help!): I'm trying to find an appropriate scenario for this diorama. As I I've only seen a few episodes, let me ask if it would be appropriate to locate the scene in some crazy environment. I was originally going to do a modern street scene with brick pavers and everything, but I don't think I'm going to get this project finished if I go that route. Instead, I'm thinking of doing some sort of ancient ruin, maybe with an artifact or something in the scenery. Here's a mock-up I put together around 4am this morning after I finally quit. The TARDIS would be located in the center of the obvious square, and I'd probably mount a gold face on the triangular piece and put the Dr. and Rose somewhere in the scene. I'd put in additional detail via Milliput, sand, flowers, etc., and trim up the overlying bricks. Would this be acceptable? I try to get things right when I do things like this as I don't want to offend the fans by my ignorance. I suppose something like this would fall into the realm of "Fan Fiction Via Creative Something Or Other...." 

Here's a pic of the mock-up:

Any advice or ideas would greatly be appreciated! Thanks for reading!

-K
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 96 Guests (See full list)