Getting to Know Each Other--Dec 2014

TaleSpinner

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since everyone is suddenly talking about their cars, let's make it an On Topic discussion:

Question 31: What is your usual/preferred mode of transportation?

Usual: stupid car <_< the engine light is on again :angry:

Preferred: my legs, walking or biking. Pretty easy to tell what going wrong there. Don't need to go to auto-zone to have them run a diagnostic to tell me. Also don't need a dang $60 license which seems to expire every two years to use them. Seriously! I just got the thing! :angry:

I can't read while commuting; anything involving careful visual focus makes me violently ill. So no knitting either, or craft work.

I actually do better as the driver.

It's one of the few bummers about long distance travel. There's lots of time on the train, but I can't read or do anything useful, really, except think.

I do think a lot.

I have this problem too. Can't read, can't watch movies, can't play games, can't even sleep. Better to just drive -_-

My dream car is to do a frame off restoration on my '67 Impala. Rebuild the engine with the 300 HP heads I have, and then revel in the fact that I have the only classic Impala in existence that someone hasn't lowered. I'd also eventually like to restore my '72 C10 Custom.

• Like 4

Walking or biking, is what I usually do and prefer. When I need a car due to distance or cargo I rent one from the car collektive my S.O. is a member of.

Preferred.. Perhaps catching a ride with someone. Or biking if the weather and route is nice :) I like biking for exercise in the summer :)

• Like 2

Preferred: my legs, walking or biking. Pretty easy to tell what going wrong there. Don't need to go to auto-zone to have them run a diagnostic to tell me.

Funny, I'm getting an ultrasound on my legs today.

Well.... it's more obvious when something is wrong. You aren't going along thinking you're fine and dandy then WHAMBAMBOOM your car doesn't work anymore. Or there's this mysterious light on your dash on for 9 months and everyone, even the professionals, tell you not to worry about it, then you go to get your brakes checked and find out that HEY LOOK your brake lines were rusted out and leaking brake fluid that whole time <_<

I mean, doctors are pretty useless and frustrating too (I've read the stories some of you've told, you've read my stories about my mum), but pain is at least a bit more obvious of a tell when something is wrong. -_- At least to some of us it is.

• Like 2

Sorry I haven't been playing along. Traveling this week and working 14 and 16 hour days.

Perferd method of transportation...

1. Charter plane. Especially if I get to pilot for a bit. :D

2. Commercial airline. If its over 500 miles.

3. In Texas, you have to drive something. Everything is too spread out for effective mass transit. And I like driving. The bigger the better. Right now I am tolerating a toyota camry. Gets me around reliable. Net vehicle will be an 8 passenger something. Probably a Ford Expadition.

• Like 1

Used methods of transport:

Walking

Automobile (Korean, sedan, newer)

Bike (American, MTB)

Preferred methods of transport:

Automobile (British, convertible, vintage)

Pogo Stick (Atomic powered, w/ optional bologna gun)

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot
  • Like 4

Question 32: Have you ever had a dream or nightmare that has stuck with you, if so tell us about it?

I often have anxiety dreams where I'm back in High School, or for some reason someone finds out I didn't actually graduate, so I have to go back (as an adult!) and retake my senior year of HS. More like a nightmare than a dream... :)

Once I had a dream where I was in a swordfight on a giant pile of skulls, and my opponent stabs me. It was so realistic I woke up clutching my stomach as if it actually happened...!

Damon.

• Like 3

I had a recurring nightmare when I was a little kid about "the Bad Frog", a kind of monstrous Kermit who lived in a tree by the balcony of our old house. I stopped having the nightmares when I dreamt that my older brother pushed it over the edge of the balcony.

There's another dream from when I was about 13, which is a little more bizarre. I was walking across a field when I fell down a hole in the ground and was confronted by Mr Ooogie Boogie (of The Nightmare Before Christmas fame) who proceeded to sing Rollercoaster by B*Witched.

I've also had one or two other memorable dreams which aren't suitable for discussion on a family forum.

• Like 1