Kuro Paints a Vampire Lord (with videos?)

At first it seemed like it was going to be overly long. 'Half an hour to paint tiny eyes?' and all that. That I've seen you teach how to paint eyes before, in person, I had a bit of an idea what was going to be there, but I didn't think it would take that long. Once I watched it though, it didn't seem that long at all. Certainly, it could have been shorter, but I don't think it would benefit from being shorter, and the lesson might well suffer for it.

• Like 7

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!  In the future, my goal will be to keep the tutorials down around 15 mins, but I'm glad this one didn't prove too long.   ::):

In other news:  I present to you the Knight of the Blood Moon!

post-7158-0-00923300-1423245000_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-05617700-1423245057_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-96821900-1423245076_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-13240200-1423245088_thumb.jpg

As with every mini, there are parts of him I loved (his armor and face) and parts I hated (everything black...), but, in the end, I'm pretty happy with him.  I know we discussed adding some more natural skin tones to his face, but I ended up really liking the stark white skin.

Now I'm all ready for Genghis Con next week!  In light of that, I'll probably hold off on posting his pics to the wide world until after the competition, but I wanted to thank all of you guys for following along with me by letting you all be the first to see the finished results.  Thanks a bunch for all of your kind comments and excellent feedback!

• Like 13

In pictures, I find his eyes a tad large, but I suspect in hand, they look far more eye catching as it where. Of course, in pictures, at least on this monitor, he's half again as big as the actual figure. So take that as you will.  I have a feeling he will do good for you at the Con, perhaps almost as well as Sophie Stormcrow? The armour and sword especially look great, and the cloak is , pardon me, stellar. 

• Like 3

Oooh, that sword!!!! It's so epic!! And it's particularly striking being the only pop of green on the model; I may have to experiment with that technique! :D

This guy came together BEAUTIFULLY; I wish I could see it in person! Unless...do you plan on bringing him to RCon?

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Oooh, that sword!!!! It's so epic!! And it's particularly striking being the only pop of green on the model; I may have to experiment with that technique! :D

Color theory in practice folks... how the sword draws the eye is not casual. It is nice that it is also flawless, because the color contrast makes it an immediate focal point.

• Like 3

Thanks again, everyone!  You all are too kind!

lol, yes indeed!  Sounds like I better get busy!

This guy came together BEAUTIFULLY; I wish I could see it in person! Unless...do you plan on bringing him to RCon?

Huzzah!
--OneBoot :D

I certainly do plan to bring him!  ::):

• Like 1

The green sword is lovely. I don't mean to pick too much because its darn good but i feel it draws the eye too much. My eye bounces back and forth from his face to the sword and back to his face. I don't rest anywhere for long. for me I would want either or to provide a focus or resting place and not both. Its a pretty minor pick but i had to dig deep to find something :p

• Like 3