Cash's Paint-by-Numbers setup thread

CashWiley

I had this idea to crowdsource a project. Basically I'll be your robot and you guys can tell me what to do! Since like a half dozen people seemed interested, and Boot has booted me, let's give this a shot.

I'm making this thread so the actual P-b-N thread doesn't start out with a whole bunch of chatter to decide on the project. I'd like to start it with a mini being prepped :)

Since I haven't done anything like this, I'm not really sure the best way to handle all the decisions. So let's start with the mini I'll paint. I think it should be smaller than giant-sized and ideally under $25 or so.

My initial thought was to have everyone put suggestions in this thread and we can narrow them down to a manageable list and put up a poll to make the final decision (unless for some reason most of you agree on one mini, hah). Mini name and manufacturer ONLY, no links! Remember the commerce rules, I has google :)

If people then wanted to paint along as well, maybe that could be a thing? If people want to see some steps in more detail, I could try to take more intermediate specific pics or whatever. And since Kuro is doing video...

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 11

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this mini suits your style nicely:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/02623:%20sheya,%20shield%20maiden/latest/02623#detail/02623_w_1

Its a fantastic old Dennis Mize sculpt.  She has nice hair and some serious freehand potential on that shield.  That sword is cool too.  only 5 bucks.

Another option:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/toreth,%20male%20dark%20elf/sku-down/03016#detail/03016_f_JW_MG

The sculpting is not quite so masterful as Dennis Mize but still good.  It has fantastic posing, a nice fun, dramatic cloak which provides a freehand opportunity and nice dramatic lighting. 

Those are the two that come to mind anyways.  Cool thread idea, I like the idea of a paint along as well.

• Like 5

I have both of those models, Dontfear, great choices :)

Oob, thanks for the reminder about commerce, hah. Updated the original post accordingly! And a couple reeally nice suggestions!

Ungoreatstefan, I'm just wrapping up an RBG barbarian (and also have the Keeper WIP on the bench), so probably not RBG this time around.

Great ideas already, I'm looking forward to what you guys come up with! Either suit my 'style' or don't, it's all good. It would be fun to do my normal thing but I wouldn't mind trying something completely new. I'm a robot (for the purposes of this project, not an actual Android-American)!

• Like 6

Oob, thanks for the reminder about commerce, hah. Updated the original post accordingly! And a couple reeally nice suggestions!

No problem. Yeah, I'm expecting "The Last Battle" to get to my mailbox today, she's gorgeous and I really like Nocturna figures as well.

• Like 3

I have both of those models, Dontfear, great choices :)

Its really funny because the way I selected those was to run through the list of minis I have in my shopping cart right now :P.  Also, they look like minis you would like.  Good sculpts are of pretty universal appeal I guess. 

• Like 5

For something different (for your normal fare), I'd suggest a light warjack from Warmachine. Something from Cygnar perhaps, or maybe the Mercenaries faction (Menoth has some cool 'jacks, but lots of fiddly detail and iconography sculpted in that I suspect you'd rather freehand; Retribution also has cool jacks but they are a very future anime style).

More in keeping with your usual suspects... Darksword makes an angel based on Elmore's art that is one of my favorite minis, and I think you'd knock the cloth on her out of the park.

And I will also suggest you paint "Slug Eat Your Face." If you don't know it, Google it; you'll thank me. Thunderbolt Mountain ('nuff said).

• Like 7