Hex base question (Bones CAV KS base vs. custom hex base?)

millionsofRobots

Hello all,

As a Bones CAV backer but non-CAV player, I have questions about the bases.  

I received my KS core yesterday, and after assembling everything saw how some of the CAVs fit the included hex bases just fine, but some had a footprint (ahem) larger than the base. I have zero experience playing CAV, so naturally this lead to some questions:

1. In CAV, is there ever an opportunity for base-to-base contact?

2. If I were to forgo the included bases and use 2" hex bases, for example, would that be a competitive disadvantage?

3. I'm likely to never play a tournament CAV game, but would play friendly home/FLGS/Reapercon games - would a different base bar me from playing?

4. For Bones CAV models such as the Wight, are people putting one foot on the base and have the trailing (since it is in a running pose) foot just not on the base? Or modding the Wight to be in a standing position to fit on an included base?

5. Am I overthinking this?

I posted this on the KS comments on 4 December:

---

Mine was scheduled for tomorrow, Friday, 5 December, Cedar Park (northwest of Austin), TX, but it arrived today. I saw a CAV for the first time (in real life) at ReaperCon this year, so I wasn't that familiar with the size, and when I picked up the box, I was sure that it was the wrong shipment - much too small (I thought)!

But I was incorrect! I opened two, a Tiamat and a Wight. Detail looks great! The Wight's gun barrels are bent a bit, which is expected and I have zero problems with that (I've boiled my share of other Bones minis).

The Tiamat fits perfectly on the hex base, but the Wight's running stance won't fit. As this is my first CAV experience, I'll have to look around for creative solutions on how to base. I don't have my painting glasses, so I can't comment yet on any mold lines, but they looked awesome. Bases were perfect.

I'm extremely pleased and very happy. My Reaper forum handle is millionsOfRobots, so I'll work on getting some paint schemes posted over there.

Thanks to all on the Reaper and CAV teams!!

---

Thanks in advance for help or suggestions!

.trey/millionsofRobots

• Like 2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll leave the rules questions to CAVBOSS, but I've already seen a reposed Wight (think it's on page 4 or 5 of the F5 F5 F5 thread) which in my opinion looks better than the default running pose. I didn't pledge for an ACE level myself, so I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing re: the new bases, but I share your concerns, considering that there are a not insignificant number of models with an even larger footprint than the Wight.

With the old larger metal bases, there was occasionally some overhang, but it wasn't enough to cause consistent issues in gameplay. Base-to-base contact is important, particularly for infantry, but with the old bases we just measured to the actual base edge, then placed the model as close as possible (usually only a difference of a couple millimeters). I can't recall if the close combat rules are similar in CAV:SO, but in CAV 2 a larger base would have been a disadvantage, as it would make it easier for enemy infantry to establish base contact and strap satchel charges to your soon-to-be smoking pile of wreckage's legs.

• Like 3

• Reaper User

1. In CAV, is there ever an opportunity for base-to-base contact?

2. If I were to forgo the included bases and use 2" hex bases, for example, would that be a competitive disadvantage?

3. I'm likely to never play a tournament CAV game, but would play friendly home/FLGS/Reapercon games - would a different base bar me from playing?

4. For Bones CAV models such as the Wight, are people putting one foot on the base and have the trailing (since it is in a running pose) foot just not on the base? Or modding the Wight to be in a standing position to fit on an included base?

5. Am I overthinking this?

When I first picked the eight models that we did the test run on for the plastics, we had not decided on a base size. We had been throwing around a few sizes but wanted to make them usable by the largest group of players. Really big hex bases may work better for CAV but would suck for other games that use them. Since the bones is easy to cut, we just went with what you have now. So to make those all of these first 8 bones fit the new hex bases a little cutting here and there is required.

Going forward the new CAV bones will have new bases that will ALL fit on the new hex base. The first eight bases will remain as they are.

Because of the various sizes or for people who have no desire to even use a hex base, the CAV SO rules are set up so that everyone can play with whatever they want. Base to base contact only requires a part of your model to be within 1" of a part of the opponents model and you declaring that you are entering base to base contact. The maximum number of models that can be in base to base contact with one other model is six (one for each facing).

So base your models how you wish. We set the game up to be free form enough to pretty much let you do anything you want.

Edited by CAVBOSS
  • Like 12

I'm pretty sure the rules say I can't link directly, but google litko and click on the miniature bases and bottoms category once on their site.

The new plastic bases are 25mm/1in from flat to flat, the older metal bases are about 32mm/1.25in from flat to flat when measuring from the bottom (as they have a slight bevel).

Not counting shipping litko sells 100 30mm flat to flat bases for $14.99 or $17.99 depending on thickness of plywood.

They make custom bases as well, so if one wanted 35mm flat to flat hexes with no special features, no hole for a flight stand and made out of 1.5mm thick clear acrylic they would be $3.99 for 10, $6.99 for 25, $11.99 for 50 and $19.99 for 100.

I have not ordered custom bases from them, but I have ordered from them and had no problems.

• Like 1

For my home play miniatures, I'll be going with metal washers.  For three reasons:  To give plastics a bit more weight, to make them very bottom-heavy so I can put them on hill inclines with no worries, and to put the models as close to the table as possible with minimal base height (this last one is a personal aesthetics choice).

I'll use officially based models if I end up running demos again though (my metal CAVs).

Base to base contact only requires a part of your model to be within 1" of a part of the opponents model and you declaring that you are entering base to base contact.

I love this.  Seriously, every game should do this.  With the way 'scale creep' goes these days, base-to-base contact can be a challenge in any miniatures game.

Edited by Jeneki

I have ordered cutom bases from both Litko and Gale Force 9 (a similar company to Litko) without ever having an issue. For the price/number of bases you get its really very affordable. I placed an order from GF9 3 years ago for 100 2" hex bases and still have plenty to spare. ;)

-Gunz

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the rules say I can't link directly, but google litko and click on the miniature bases and bottoms category once on their site.

The new plastic bases are 25mm/1in from flat to flat, the older metal bases are about 32mm/1.25in from flat to flat when measuring from the bottom (as they have a slight bevel).

Not counting shipping litko sells 100 30mm flat to flat bases for $14.99 or $17.99 depending on thickness of plywood.

They make custom bases as well, so if one wanted 35mm flat to flat hexes with no special features, no hole for a flight stand and made out of 1.5mm thick clear acrylic they would be $3.99 for 10, $6.99 for 25, $11.99 for 50 and $19.99 for 100.

I have not ordered custom bases from them, but I have ordered from them and had no problems.

I have ordered from Litko and they are excellent. Twice I sent them CAD drawings to specify what I needed and they delivered spot-on.

Recommended.