Things I Hate About Christmas

Dr.Bedlam

I have attended a few office Christmas parties where people had too much to drink and did or said regrettable things. Since I started teaching, though, this doesn't happen... teachers are more repressed than North Koreans.

But the idea of a "mandatory Christmas party" to me is utterly alien. Sounds like something Your Friend The Computer would mandate...

• Like 4

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what do I hate about Christmas?

People who spend six weeks complaining about:

• commercialization
  • or the lack of religiion in Christmas
  • or how Saturnaila was co-opted by the Christians
  • or how nobody cares about the Jews, or the Muslims, or the atheists
  • or Christmas music all the time
  • or Christmas sales starting when it's inconvenient to go to them
  • ... or people complaining about Christmas season.  ^_^

Geez, people, tolerance doesn't mean you have to enjoy everything, but how about letting other people enjoy the things they actually like. And don't do the things you hate, but don't complain when someone does and gets a price you wish that you had gotten.

And lest you think I really don't understand because you're forced to be in a mall all day ... I've run a mall store during Christmas season. You're always busy and you're making money. If you hate that, retail might not be for you.

ps. I think this thread is perfectly fine; just don't force me to listen at work or in line at the mall to the same complaints all day, every day.

• Like 6

Geez, people, tolerance doesn't mean you have to enjoy everything, but how about letting other people enjoy the things they actually like. And don't do the things you hate, but don't complain when someone does and gets a price you wish that you had gotten.

That's what the "Things I love about Christmas" thread is for :lol:

My son was uninjured, but he was crying and very upset. I reacted very badly to this. Suffice it to say that the individual in question also suddenly found himself on the ground, words were exchanged (mostly by me, and very loudly), security showed up and we were asked to leave.

I would have cheered for you if I had witnessed that encounter. Seriously, I would have. And Hubby probably would have told the security guard that you shouldn't be forced to leave, the other guy should for endangering children with his thoughtlessness. 

We would have all been kicked out of the mall together :lol:

• Like 4

I love the festive season, though I was debating if I wanted to put up the tree this year being alone now... However I'm having some friends come over to set up the tree and much joy will be had!

I hate the festive season because everything is soooo busy. I hate shopping when people are in my personal space, usually I just move away, but atm there is nowhere to move to, shops are so full I cannot find any space to stand at all.

• Like 2

what I hate is gift card exchanges.... "what do you want for Christmas? Ill take a gift card from (fill in the blank), ok, I would like one from (fill in another blank)..."

How about you both keep your 20.00, Ill keep mine and we can spend it how we were planning on it anyway (and save your self some time)...

• Like 6

Yes, which makes sense. Does make one wonder just how literal one should take the gifts of the magi as recorded. It is after all, quite likely that whatever the gifts where they where sold, at least in part, to live on while they where away from Judea.

And thus the tradition of returning gifts - to get something you actually want - was started! ;)

They could have gotten a gift card at "hiding away from Judea - limited" in the first place, and saved the bother, really ;)

• Like 2

What do I hate about Christmas?

In 2002, my family had to make the call to take my father off life-support on Christmas Eve.

Now, don't get me wrong - in many ways, it was a great last present from a loving father to his devoted son:  a perfect excuse to be sad and wistful at Christmas time which no one but a total elf can find fault with.  But, every Christmas, I think of my father and while I definitely remember the good times, I do get a little grumpy when people try and jolly me up.

By all means, be happy and joyous this time of year!  Just don't try and force me to be so, and we'll be just fine.

• Like 6

what I hate is gift card exchanges.... "what do you want for Christmas? Ill take a gift card from (fill in the blank), ok, I would like one from (fill in another blank)..."

How about you both keep your 20.00, Ill keep mine and we can spend it how we were planning on it anyway (and save your self some time)...

Yeah. 

I do love getting the gift cards, but I do hate giving them, and mostly because it feels like we're just exchanging twenty dollar bills that are actually less useful than a twenty dollar bill.

Yeah. 

I do love getting the gift cards, but I do hate giving them, and mostly because it feels like we're just exchanging twenty dollar bills that are actually less useful than a twenty dollar bill.

I have a niece and nephew that are still getting started and we're giving them yuppie food coupons (I also call them Universal Gift Certificates) this year. I'm given to understand that they work everywhere.  ^_^

• Like 1