77115: Shoggoth (bones)

Tallghost

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real nice paint job! The black body and the orange ees really work well together, and you solved the dome on top really well! :)

Way better than mine! :)

(Come to think of it: I need to strip some other models. I want a project to use my blighted gold.. Hmm...)

post-9309-0-69112700-1401134207.jpg

• Like 8

I'm kind of a purist. If you're doing a generic blob monster, or gibbering mouther, or seething eye nightmare, you can use any palette you like. I have, and do, and all that.

But if you're going with a Lovecraftian Shoggoth, I tend to think in terms of his descriptions: a tarry black glistening oozing nightmare laden with eyes and mouths and limbs and weirder things...

• Like 1

What paint scheme did you use for the "black"? Looks like black and brown?

I stole an "eyeball" paint technique from  ff151 where you draw lines radiating around a perimeter around the center. Good for insane eyeballs.

Here it is on a sideways RAFM polyp: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1936277/sam-and-max

What's your attack plan for painting all those Cthulhu Wars mini's coming in a few months? :D

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

I don't know, Uber. That green and pink combo is a classic weird creature pallet. With the blue around the edges of the eyes ,it looks pretty sweet.

For the dome, I cheated and used some of my wife's nail polish.

It's so shiny I think I can see a reflection of you and the camera in the last photo.

I like the effect. My only caution is that nail polish is not formulated for the same uses or longevity as acrylic paint. There may come a time years down the line when the dome paint gets brittle and cracks. Maybe for something like a Bones mini that's not a problem, but I thought I'd mention.

Wow, thanks for all of the compliments guys!

Ced: The skin is a basecoat of Reaper's Bloodstain Red, and heavy drybrushing of P3's coal, which is a weird blue/black.

And in a rare moment of self control, I didn't bid on Cthulhu wars because I'm dangerously close to being the target of an unpainted minis intervention from my family and firends.

Pingo: I think you're right! I can see me from here!

Thanks for the warning on the nail polish. I might have to get some glossy varnish on that to keep it from crumbling.

It doesn't come out well in the photo, but IRL the nail polish has a oil-slick rainbow effect, which is why I chose to use it in the first place.

• Like 2