Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Looking for a new primer. A black primer. Spray-on

I've used Badger's Stynylrez recently on my Bones minis. Works great.

This morning I sprayed 20 gnolls and bugbears with the grey Badger Stynylrez. This went on great, covering very well and drying to the touch very quickly (about 5 minutes). The directions recommend using a .5mm nozzle at 20 to 30 psi. I had no problems with my Iwata HP-CS using a .35mm nozzle at 25psi.  The bottle says this stuff can be brushed or sponged on as well, but I'll stick with the airbrush at this point. It has now been about 10 hours since spraying, and moving the morningstar chain around shows the material to hold up very well with no cracking or flaking. Quick tests scratching a few bases with my fingernail show the Stynylrez to adhere better than brushed on blue liner.

The liner does make a handy primer for the bones, but this stuff just works so quickly and covers so evenly. I'm quite happy I went with the 3 pack of grey, white and black (from the large south american river distributor, approx $30 for 3 bottles of 4oz each).

• Like 1

I use Rustoleum 2x Painter's Choice "Also bonds to plastic". Cheap and at the local hardware store. I'm also looking for primers, too.

Army Painter color primers are good with zenithal priming. Spray completely black, then a highlight spray with the color. Follow with Quickshade Ink!

Tell me, industrious painters of Reapers: With what do you prime?

I've asked this before, but I'd like to revisit the subject. If y'all don't mind. I've had a little time with what I've been using, but I'm looking to branch out a little. Maybe.

I keep thinking about Reaper's brush-on, but then I remember how much I like the spray-on. Like, I primed five pieces today, and it took all of three minutes of actual work. That's nice, insofar as that goes. I've been using the Krylon flat white; it works GREAT. As long as I hold up my end of the deal and don't overdo it. These today turned out exactly how I wanted them.

I wanted to try Krylon's black, though, because of some measure of niceness I've seen in painting skin up from a black primer. I'd gotten a handful of minis that were already primed in an unknown black. Of course when I get to Wal*Mart, today, they have none of that for which I'm looking. None. None!

I thought about trying Rust-Oleum's flat black. American Accents, I think they call the line. But then figured I could ask y'all first. What do you like? I want something that goes on EASY. One coat. Simple. I want it IDIOT-PROOF. As I am an idiot. I'd like to be able to grab it at Wal*Mart, all things being equal, as that's what we've got here. And, of course, it's black for which I'm looking, right now.

So. Do tell. Thanks in advance.

Rust-oleum actually makes an American Accents 2x Ultra Cover Primer in Red, White, Grey, and Black.  I picked up a can of the white this morning at Wal-Mart (My poor neighbors, I'm spraying in the outdoor hallway between apartments!)  Very nice spray down, actually.  Dried in under 10 minutes?

Edited by Lochar
  • Like 1

I used to use the primer I could get at the local auto parts store. For me it dried too tacky. I would put very thin layers on but still seemed to tacky. Maybe it was just me as I see some of you are having no problems. I went round and round with some other primers until I bought Vallejo. It goes on smooth with my airbrush and does not dry tacky. So far (for me) no problems with this primer. Some times I thin it down a little, some times I don't. It depends on the model. They do sell them in different colors. Just depends on what color base primer you want to go with. Not always do I use the same color. 

• Like 1

I have tried camouflage colors. It is either Rustoleum or Krylon brand. Extremely flat, primer like paint in several colors—in greens, tans, browns, greys and black.

• Like 1

I usually use an airbrush to apply my primer - if that falls outside the scope of your question, I apologize.  Vallejo makes a variety of colored primers - I have White, Black, light Gray and German Gray.  They work equally well for airbrush or brush-on.  You can use them straight or with a bit of thinner (I usually just use water).  I've noticed the bond with the underlying material is not as strong as with some other primers, so you need to be a little bit more careful in the early stages of painting.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not equipped, and don't plan to be, for airbrush work. Lot of you speak highly of the process; just not a place to which I want to devote that much funding.

I really, really like spray-on primers. I'm kind of learning to accept this. I mean, I feel like I should aim higher, but it does all I need it to do. And probably more, who knows. With Bones 2 arriving shortly, I soon may be in the market for one that'll work on Bonesium. Coating with liner could grow a little tiresome if I get busy enough.