Sign in to follow this  
Dai-Mongar

High Adventure in a World of Magic - Dai-Mongar Paints HeroQuest

The roots of my obsession can be traced back to this glorious game, this box of wonder and enchantment that combined adventure in a magical dungeon with cool little figures and furniture. It was like a Hyborian Age doll's house, but you got to play a game with it, too!

So naturally, as soon as I was all grown up with a job and access to internet auctions, I bought copy of HeroQuest to recapture the magic of my youth. Then another two copies, because reasons. Plus some expansions. Anyway, this is what I've got:

post-3125-0-21753600-1417905975_thumb.jpg

That's three copies of the base game (one of which came with triple the cards), Wizards of Morcar and two copies of Against the Ogre Horde.

With a couple of exceptions, all the minis are unpainted. I plan to paint them all.

I've gone this far without painting any of the minis, but I'd started to paint a spare Chaos sorcerer (to use as a lich king for Kings of War) and painting it got me thinking that now I could actually get some good results from them. So, I've not gotten very far yet, just an undercoat on the heroes and the Chaos warriors.

post-3125-0-19543900-1417906333_thumb.jpg

post-3125-0-41192800-1417906346_thumb.jpg

I'm already a bit stuck on how I want to paint the Chaos warriors, though. I've undercoated them with Army Painter metallic primer (which covers amazingly by the way), but I don't know if I want to have them with plain iron armour, or try some coloured inks to tint the plates, and if I do go for tinting do I do them all the same or different colours?

The wizard is also a bit of a puzzle. I'd like to do something a bit unexpected with him, maybe a darker and more sinister look than the box art. I do have three of each hero, so I can afford to do some experimenting.

In any case, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

• Like 11

The minis are old Games Workshop sculpts, and are molded in styrene plastic. You can get VERY good results with the heroes; I still have mine, although I haven't played HeroQuest since Hector was a pup.

I did the Chaos Warriors in different metallics, way back when... bright silver, dull iron, copper, and gold. 

DEATHLY curious about these ogres, though... I bought my HeroQuest box on clearance, back when it was still fairly new, and never saw or got any of the expansion sets.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

I want to thank you for two things. Firstly, this all cool stuff; thanks for posting. Second, you just educated me on where those Chaos Warriors I got from the bitz box at my FLGS came from. Thank you. I've been wondering.

• Like 1

I've never heard of those expansions; way back when I played HeroQuest, I had what I thought were all four expansions:  Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch King, the Barbarian Quest Pack, and the Elf Quest Pack.  Sadly, I sold them many years ago (though I still have the red wooden movement dice in my dice bag).

I look forward to seeing what you can do with the HeroQuest figures!  Are you aiming to match the game's artwork, or do you think you'll take it in a different direction?

• Like 1

The minis are old Games Workshop sculpts, and are molded in styrene plastic. You can get VERY good results with the heroes; I still have mine, although I haven't played HeroQuest since Hector was a pup.

I did the Chaos Warriors in different metallics, way back when... bright silver, dull iron, copper, and gold. 

DEATHLY curious about these ogres, though... I bought my HeroQuest box on clearance, back when it was still fairly new, and never saw or got any of the expansion sets.

Here's a painted example (not mine) of what I believe is the Ogre Lord:

OgreLord_zpscce641a9.jpg

There are about five ogre warriors, a champion, a chieftain and the lord. They're all head and shoulders above the heroes and about as tall as the gargoyle.

I want to thank you for two things. Firstly, this all cool stuff; thanks for posting. Second, you just educated me on where those Chaos Warriors I got from the bitz box at my FLGS came from. Thank you. I've been wondering.

Happy to help! The Chaos warriors were always my favourite minis from the game.

I've never heard of those expansions; way back when I played HeroQuest, I had what I thought were all four expansions:  Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch King, the Barbarian Quest Pack, and the Elf Quest Pack.  Sadly, I sold them many years ago (though I still have the red wooden movement dice in my dice bag).

I look forward to seeing what you can do with the HeroQuest figures!  Are you aiming to match the game's artwork, or do you think you'll take it in a different direction?

These two expansions were released for the European version, which is what we got over here in NZ, while I believe the barbarian and elf expansions were released for the US version. Both versions got Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. I'll see if I can put up some photos of all the minis from these expansions soon, the Wizards of Morcar are particularly cool.

I don't think I'll be trying to match the artwork from the game; I like taking things in different directions where I can. Plus having three sets of heroes means I can do variations and possibly some conversions. Maybe if I let more than one person take the same character it can help differentiate them, like in Street Fighter.

• Like 2

My poor heroquest minis first encountered paint in the form of Testors enamel.

They've been pretty shy about the light of day since then, but I will paint them all up at some point.

• Like 1

Haven't made as much progress as I would have liked, what with Christmas rapidly approaching and with it a move into a new house. But I've done a little work.

Started on the hair for the Elf and Wizard:

post-3125-0-58579200-1418982244_thumb.jpg

post-3125-0-27313700-1418982251_thumb.jpg

You can't really see much of the Wizard, but I'm going for a blond look. The Elf I thought I'd give red hair, because you don't see red-headed elves all that often.

The Barbarian has just had a bit of work done on his sword, for which I'm trying to use Stern's sword blade recipe:

post-3125-0-71186100-1418982446_thumb.jpg

Finally I decided to just go ahead with regular iron-looking armour for the Chaos Warriors. This is the first one:

post-3125-0-51318200-1418982518_thumb.jpg

I could still end up tinting them if I had the inclination.

I would have put up some pics of the expansion minis, but by the time I got around to taking these photos the expansions had been packed away for the move.

• Like 2

So did progress ever get made on these or did I just miss them?

Actually, I did have a play around with one of the Chaos Warriors, trying out what I learned in Michael Proctor's shaded metallics class. I should finish it up and post it! And then paint the rest of the Chaos Warriors!

• Like 1