Pingo

Cookie recipes for holidays and other pleasantries

Because cookie season.

This ain't no Pingo's Shambolic Kitchen, though. My cookie recipes are time-tested and approved.

These are cookies I invented for a friend who developed diabetes, and who for some reason is less affected by potato starch than grains. They are light, crisp, nutty, and not too sweet, a little like tender biscotti, excellent for dipping into tea or coffee. They are also, as a side effect, gluten-free.

My husband, not normally a fan of nuts, considers these the best almond cookies he has ever had.

Gluten-free Almond Cookies

4 ounces butter

3/8 cup sugar

1 large egg

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup dried powdered potato starch

1 cup ground blanched almonds

pinch salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius, if I got that right).

Sift together the potato starch, the almond meal, and the salt.

In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until well blended.

Add the egg and almond extract to the butter mixture and beat until pale and fluffy.

Stir the dry ingredients into the rest until blended.

Roll the dough into balls between one inch and three centimeters in diameter and place well spaced onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges just turn golden brown.

Cool on wire racks and store tightly covered.

• Like 9

A patient's wife brought in some ginger cookies from Aldi the other day for our staff. The brand was like Sebastius or Sebastalius or something like that and they were amazing.

• Like 2

This is based on a Julia Child recipe, altered because cloves are evil and anything they can do (apart from anesthetize) allspice can do better. It has a rich, spicy, almost medieval flavor. It is a little hard, but excellent for gingerbread houses.

Sturdy Gingerbread for Houses, Molded Cookies and Tree Decorations

6 ounces unsalted butter, softened

2/3 cup white or golden sugar

2/3 cup dark brown sugar

2 large eggs

2 cups all purpose flour

2 cups rye flour

extra flour in reserve in case dough is sticky

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried ginger

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom or coriander

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Cream together the butter and sugars until well blended.

Add eggs and cream until light and fluffy.

In a large bowl whisk or sift together the flours, spices, and other dry ingredients.

Stir the flour blend into the butter and eggs. Add more flour if necessary to make a firm dough.

Adjust the spices to taste.

Wrap and chill the dough for a day.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (about 175 degrees Celsius).

Roll the dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out shapes. Can also be used in cookie molds.

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until dry and firm.

• Like 7

Thanks for that Pingo, I'm always on the look out for diabetic friendly treats for a cashier at work.

I look forward to that family recipe Dave, I only have about 6 different types of ginger cookie recipes. I need more. Love ginger.

Here's a super easy, nummy treat no diabetic should eat. Now you can get all fancy and mix up a chocolate cookie dough recipe from scratch (if anyone would like that recipe, just speak up) or you can save yoursef some time and just use a cake mix.

Preheat oven 350

Devils food cake mix

2 eggs

1/3 cup oil

Bag of Rolos

Unwrap a bunch of rolos

Mix cake mix, eggs, oil

Take about a half a golf ball size bit of dough, roll it into a ball, smoosh it flat, slap a rolo down in the middle, roll that puppy up. Repeat (make sure it is completely sealed, burned oozing caramel is not delicious)

Place 1 1/2 - 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 9ish minutes

Cool, sprinkle with confectioners sugar

Nomnomnom

• Like 3

This is my family's favorite ginger snaps recipe.

Ginger Snaps

3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 tablespoon dried powdered ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice blend*

6 ounces unsalted butter, softened

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup molasses

2 teaspoons malt vinegar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit (roughly 160 degrees Celsius).

Sift together the dry ingredients.

Cream the butter and sugar.

Whisk together the eggs, molasses, and vinegar.

Add the wet ingredients to the butter mix and blend thoroughly.

Stir in the dry ingredients.

Roll dough into 3/4-inch (2 cm) balls. Place on prepared cookie sheets.

Bake about 12 minutes, more if the dough was chilled.

*A mix usually of liquorice, fennel, anise, cinnamon, pepper, and sometimes cloves. It's gingerbread flavor in a jar, almost.

• Like 4

Funny, that, I looked up my gingerbread recipe about an hour ago... 

2      cups          white flour
   1 1/2  teaspoons     baking powder
     1/4  teaspoon      mace or allspice
     1/4  teaspoon      nutmeg
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
     1/2  cup           granulated sugar, brown sugar, or honey
   4                    eggs
   1      teaspoon      powdered ginger
   1      teaspoon      cinnamon
     1/4  teaspoon      ground cloves
     1/2  teaspoon      baking soda
     1/2  cup           shortening or butter
     1/2  cup           molasses
     1/2  cup           buttermilk
                        - or -
                        MIX TOGETHER FOR SOUR MILK:
                        1/2 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vinegar

Heat oven to 350°F. Cream shortening and sugar and add eggs and half of the
buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk, mix vinegar and milk together and
let it sit for 3 minutes, then add half. Add dry ingredients, remaining milk
and molasses. Put into greased cake pans.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

When cool serve with a big dollop of fresh whipped cream that had been flavored with vanilla extract. No additional sugar is needed. 
  • Like 5

I predict I shall be doing more baking. My mom loves gingersnap cookies. Being able to bake them will make her happy. I sadly have no cookie recipes to share as I am the only one in my family who bakes and have to search for recipes I want to try...

• Like 3

This is, hands-down, my personal favorite Christmas cookie.

My grandmother called them "Mexican Wedding Cakes", but so far as I know they aren't, really. They are light, crumbly balls of pecan goodness that melt in your mouth. Inevitably a few disintegrate in the making, and Chef's Privilege means I get the pieces. :)

Pecan Puffs (with a Gluten-Free Variation)

3/4 cup ground pecans

1/4 cup crushed pecans

1 cup cake flour OR 1 cup oat flour, for a gluten-free version

4 ounces softened unsalted butter

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

confectioners sugar in a medium bowl

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius).

Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla.

in a bowl whisk together the nuts and flour, then add them to the butter and stir to blend.

Roll the dough into one-inch balls and place on a prepared cookie sheet.

Bake about thirty minutes. They will relax a little but should not spread.

While they are still hot, roll the cookies gently throught the confectioners sugar. Be careful because they are prone to disintegration.

Allow to cool fully.

• Like 3

I like baking cookies, but I'm no durn good at it. The women in my life laugh at me because cookies are apparently an extremely simple thing. "Doc," they say, "I've seen you spend hours trying to get mouseling eyes JUUUUST right, but you can't mix and bake a simple batch of cookies?"

Regrettably, they are right. So here's my recipe:

DOC BEDLAM'S RUM COOKIES

Required:
One bottle rum; I prefer Captain Morgan's, but any rum you like is appropriate
One container Chips Ahoy

Instructions:
Drink the rum. Eat the cookies when you sober up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I predict I shall be doing more baking. My mom loves gingersnap cookies. Being able to bake them will make her happy. I sadly have no cookie recipes to share as I am the only one in my family who bakes and have to search for recipes I want to try...

That's a great gingersnap recipe above. It's got the classic cracked top texture, and gets crispy edges and chewy middles. Awesome with vanilla ice cream.

• Like 3