Cookie recipes for holidays and other pleasantries

Pingo

eight hours later and I'm home and able to post the recipe.

Fruit Cake Cookies

1 Lb light brown sugar

1 Lb butter

3 eggs (large) beaten

3 tsp. vanilla extract

4 1/2 cups self rising flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 jar (16 oz size) pineapple preserves

1 lb mixed chopped fruit

3 slices red candied pineapple cut up

1 cup candied red cherries

3 slices green candied pineapple cut up

1 quart chopped pecans

cream together the butter and sugar

beat together the eggs, flour, vanilla, and baking powder  add to the creamed sugar and butter

blend pineapple preserves into mixture

roll fruit and nuts in flour in separate bowl

add fruit and nuts to base mixture and mix by hand with a spoon

put by teaspoonfuls on greased baking sheet and bake at 300-325 (depending on your oven) for 15-20 minutes, until set (Do not leave alone while baking; they burn fast)

allow to cool for several hours before closing up in containers/bags

• Like 6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the recipe for my family's favorite sugar cookies. They aren't the sort that can be shaped, but they are incredibly good.

Favorite Sugar Cookies

1 3/4 cups flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 teaspoon salt

6 ounces softened unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup sugar (yes, this is a separate bit)

1 large egg

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup sour cream (can substitute whole milk yogurt or buttermilk)

Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.

Cream butter and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar. Add the egg, sour cream, and vanilla and beat until fluffy.

Stir in the dry ingredients.

Chill for half an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (175 degrees celsius).

Roll dough into one-inch balls. Roll the balls in the 1/4 cup of sugar. Place on a prepared cookie sheet and flatten the balls slightly.

Bake about ten minutes until golden brown.

Let cool on the cookie sheet for two or three minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

• Like 6

Honest, they can't. They defy every effort to make them anything but flat rounds.

Here's a recipe you can shape. It's super fragile and fussy, but will produce melt-in-your-mouth morsels of buttery deliciousness. The recipe came from Julia Child, but got adapted because we don't have a food processor.

It needs to be made well ahead of time and chilled, and needs more chilling after the cookies are cut.

It also makes a fantastic tart crust.

The recipe uses hand power more than most, because it is a very delicate recipe and hands are great kitchen tools.

Julia's Paté Sablée (shortcrust butter cookies)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup cake flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

8 ounces chilled unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

2 "large" egg yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 tablespoons ice water

Sift or whisk together the flours and salt.

Cut the butter into pieces and pinch it into the flour with your fingers, or use a pastry cutter, until thoroughly blended.

Add the sugar and blend with your hands or a wooden spoon.

Beat the vanilla and egg yolks together and add them to the dough,

Mix gently with your hands -- tools have a hard time with this texture -- adding a bit of the ice water if necessary (it often isn't).

Wrap tightly and refrigerate until cold and hard, several hours at least.

To make:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).

Sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out shapes and place on a cookie sheet prepared with parchment paper.

Personally I find this dough so tender I take about a third of the dough and roll it onto floured parchment paper cut to fit a cookie sheet, rather than trying to transfer cut cookies to the sheet.

Put the sheet of cookies in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.

Prick the dough with a fork.

Bake 8 - 10 minutes, until golden brown on the edges.

Remove the entire sheet of paper and cookies from the cookie sheet onto the cooling rack and let cool for a couple of minutes before using a flexible spatula to move the cookies from the paper to the rack.

Extra scraps of dough can be remixed and rerolled a couple of times. Try not to do it too many times.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 3

I miss the days before kids, when my wife would gather some of her friends and run a kitchen production line with ruthless and terrifying efficiency. They'd spend one day cooking (with the occasional break to do very adult decorations on some of the gingerbread people) and come out with 20+ recipes done, often in multiple-batch sizes. Enough sweets for a small army, near-endless variety, and generally a lot of fun. Plus of course they needed the occasional quality control check done.  :ph34r:

Mind you, my waistline is incredibly happy that those days are long done. :lol: 

Then again... The kids are getting old enough that we could probably manage it again in a couple years. Especially with the elder spawn being old enough to actually help. ::): 

• Like 10

I just discovered this thread.

Nice recepies,

I will have to converte the oz's and the cups to grams and such, but I do want to try those fruit cookies.

With candied fruits, you mean the kind that is dried and coated with sugar?

Yes, there is also a kind that is in syrup here in the US, but that might make the cookies have too much liquid.

• Like 2

I'm going to do a couple recipes before Christmas, and I'm taking suggestions.  I prefer something quick and easy.  Drop cookies are great.  I think I'm going to do hermits (can't go wrong with ginger, molasses, nuts and chocolate chips).  Maybe some kind of butter cookie.  I also just bought two pounds of fresh picked pecans.   

What are you baking? 

• Like 1

Gingerbread and ginger snaps!!! You're an angel, Pingo!

I also want to try the Andes Mint cookies!!

Cloves get overused in Christmas cooking. They have a strong, repellent spicy flavor. Clove oil is an anesthetic, and some of us do not like that numbing feeling in our food. Clove oil is also a paint thinner, and was used in the Renaissance before turpentine was commonly available. I have, in fact, painted using it, and while the smell can be pleasant, I am not fond of the flavor.

Allspice has a not dissimilar, but more mellow flavor without the medicinal qualities. My rule of thumb is that anything with cloves is better served with allspice, unless you are looking for a paint thinner or a toothache cure.

!! Is that what that feeling is from? My husband has a family member who cooks pretty good food, and then when it's time to cook turkey, my mouth is just gone. Especially when I try eating the skin! I quietly freaked out the first time, because I thought I was losing my sense of taste. :lol: Thanks for solving the mystery!

--

My chocolate chip cookies. The instructions aren't great, it's just what I wrote down in case I forgot something  ::P:

Preheat 375 F

• 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup softened butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces chocolate chips (2 cups)
  1. Mix sugars, butter, vanilla, egg in a big bowl
  2. Mix flour, baking soda, salt in a separate bowl. Add it all to the first bowl.
  3. And then add CHOCOLATE CHIPS
  4. Bake 8 minutes

I usually take them out around 8 minutes because our apartment oven is terrible... And if they are a tad undercooked when I take them out, they stay nice and soft for a few days! It used to be all white sugar, but I've found that brown sugar seems to make them more soft and chewy!

Edit: Made the steps more sensible

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 3

image.jpg1_zpsjf5gwlyq.jpg

My older son and I got together this weekend to do our Christmas cookies. We were short one pair of hands; my younger son was preparing for finals at college and couldn't be here. Since we only had the one weekend, we did fewer varieties than last year, so we have pizelles, Russian tea cakes, mint chocolate dreams, Empire biscuits, shortbread, and some basic sugar cookies for the unadventurous. ::):

• Like 9

Since we only had the one weekend, we did fewer varieties than last year, so we have pizelles, Russian tea cakes, mint chocolate dreams, Empire biscuits, shortbread, and some basic sugar cookies for the unadventurous. ::):

That's a great-looking tray, but which are which?  I have to ask since most of them I haven't seen.  Also, no fair, you didn't include any recipes.  :mellow:

• Like 2