Cookie recipes for holidays and other pleasantries

Pingo

Since we only had the one weekend, we did fewer varieties than last year, so we have pizelles, Russian tea cakes, mint chocolate dreams, Empire biscuits, shortbread, and some basic sugar cookies for the unadventurous. ::):

That's a great-looking tray, but which are which?  I have to ask since most of them I haven't seen.  Also, no fair, you didn't include any recipes.  :mellow:

Clockwise from 12:00:

mint chocolate dreams, shortbread, sugar cookies, empire biscuits, russian tea cakes, and more sugar cookies. Pizelles in the middle.

• Like 4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we only had the one weekend, we did fewer varieties than last year, so we have pizelles, Russian tea cakes, mint chocolate dreams, Empire biscuits, shortbread, and some basic sugar cookies for the unadventurous. ::):

That's a great-looking tray, but which are which?  I have to ask since most of them I haven't seen.  Also, no fair, you didn't include any recipes.  :mellow:
Clockwise from 12:00:mint chocolate dreams, shortbread, sugar cookies, empire biscuits, russian tea cakes, and more sugar cookies. Pizelles in the middle.

Thanks! Are you a member of my family in disguise? ::): I'm away from my recipes at the moment, so posting them would have to wait...

• Like 4

Clockwise from 12:00:

mint chocolate dreams, shortbread, sugar cookies, empire biscuits, russian tea cakes, and more sugar cookies. Pizelles in the middle.

Man, etherial really knows cookies! :lol: Those look delicious!

Dug this up earlier...

25 cookies from around the world

It has links to recipes for them...

(Including stroopwafels)

Thanks! I now have serinakaker, elisenlebkuchen, amaretti morbidi, and linzer cookies on my list to make. Now what to make first.... I think.... serinakaker and linzer cookies will be what I make first...

• Like 2

Don't have a recipe of my own, but the Swedish Christmas cookies I love so much, mom has forbidden me to give out the recipe, and there are some ingredients that are VERY difficult to get stateside....

But I did a quick search for Pepparkakor, and came up with a recipe that looks similar to mom's, but using "Americanized" ingredients.

Swedish Pepparkakor

Have NOT personally made these, but the recipe has all the really important ingredients....

George

Sorry it is after Christmas....

• Like 7

Oliebollen (Dutch fritters)
Smoutebollen

500 GRAM FLOUR
    100 GRAM RAISINS
    25 GRAM PRESERVED GINGER, chopped
    1 APPLE, peeled, cleaned and chopped
    1 TBSP SUGAR
    RIND FROM 1 LEMON
    1/2 TSP CINNAMON
    1 TSP YEAST
    150 GRAM BEER
    ICING SUGAR

Mix all the ingredients together and stir in 350 gram water. Allow the batter to rise for one hour. Use two tablespoons or an ice-scoop spoon to make balls out of the batter and fry those 7 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius. Turn them halfway if necessary. Serve with icing sugar.

Appelflappen (apple fritters)

175 GRAM SELF RAISING FLOUR
    5 APPLES, peeled
    175 GRAM MILK
    1 EGG
    50 GRAM SUGAR
    1 TSP CINNAMON

Drill the core out of the apples and cut them in four slices. Mix the sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples. Leave the half an hour. Make batter out of flour, milk and egg. Dip the apple slices in the batter and deep fry them at 180 degrees Celsius.

• Like 3

Just for Xherman1964...

Mexican Buñuelos

Fritters:

3 cups flour

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

1 egg

2 tablespoons lard, melted and cooled

2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract

Vegetable oil, for frying

Cinnamon Sugar:

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon Cinnamon, Ground

Directions:

For the Fritters, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Mix milk, egg, lard and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring constantly to form a slightly sticky dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Incorporate additional flour, a tablespoon flour at a time, until dough is no longer sticky. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rest 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, for the Cinnamon Sugar, mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Set aside.

Roll each ball of dough flat into a 6-inch round on lightly floured surface. Stack dough rounds between wax paper or plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes.

Pour vegetable oil into heavy large skillet or saucepan to depth of 1 inch (about 2 cups oil). Heat oil on medium-high heat to 365°F to 370°F on deep-fry thermometer. Fry flattened dough rounds, 1 at a time, for 2 minutes or until golden and puffed, turning once using tongs. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle each fritter with 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar mixture.

• Like 4

This recipe makes those crisp, thin waffle cookies. You need a specialty waffle iron to make them.

Belgian-Dutch Christmas Waffle Cookies

8 ounces softened butter

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

3 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

melted butter

Cream the butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy.

Sift together the dry ingredients and stir into the wet onea.

Brush the waffle iron with the melted butter.

Roll the dough into one-inch balls and cook 45 seconds to a minute each. I find that two balls can be done at a time on a standard iron.

Cool on racks.

This makes like 100 cookies. Every version of it I have found on the internet claims it makes way fewer, but if you roll actual one-inch balls that’s what you get.

If you glue these into sandwiches with caramel you will get something very like stroopwaffels.

• Like 4

I need to get some irons for cooking rosettes - the only time I have made them was a few years ago, and I used a potato ricer in place of the iron.

Worked, but they lacked elegance.

But it turns out that Megan really liked them. (I kind of made them, then forgot about them.)

Pretty much a crepe batter, with a touch more sugar and some flavoring - I went with vanilla and almond extract.

2 Eggs (Large)

2T Sugar (Granulated)

1t Vanilla or Almond extract (or a mix) Cinnamon also goes well, or Allspice.

1 Cup all purpose flour.

Fry in 2 quarts of vegetable oil in a three quart pan. (Megan remembers me doing it in our fondue pan... I do not remember this - pretty sure a fondue pot would not be hot enough, and the wrong shape. I think it was used at the same time though - Scandinavian rosette cookies and Swiss fondue seems a likely combination.)

Heat the iron in the hot oil, dip it in the batter. (*Sizzle, sizzle*)

Then dip the iron carefully into the oil again (*SIZZLE! SIZZLE! SIZZLE!*) Completely immerse the head of the iron - but don't touch the bottom of the pot.

Pull the cookie out when the sizzling subsides.

Poke the cookies off with a fork - then repeat the process until your arms get tired. ::):

Flip the cookies over so that the hollow backs are draining onto a paper towel, then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. (Or pipe some frosting into the hollow side.)

The Auld Grump - a potato ricer makes big rosettes....

• Like 4

DOOM COOKIES, for them what's had it up to here with the sweet stuff and would like something savory:

1. Using ordinary bread... white, whole wheat, whatever... start by buttering the bread, both sides.
2. Using a cookie cutter of whatever shape seems appropriate, cut out shapes from the buttered bread.
3. Sprinkle shredded cheddar (I prefer sharp cheddar, but any will work so long as you're using real cheese... NOT Velveeta or American slice) onto one side of the buttered cutout.
4. Heat a skillet to medium low heat. Slap the cookie into it, cheese side down. While the cheese fries/melts into the bread, sprinkle more shredded cheese onto the unfried side.
5. Flip the cookie at the appropriate time; the cheese should be goldy brown and fused into a crunchy layer. Fry the other side until the same thing happens, then remove to a plate.

6. Once you get this down, do it with a bunch more cookies.

They're crisp, cheesy, and decadent, and make me feel less guilty than eating a dozen or so of the cookies everyone's given me so far. Especially Berni's mom. She sends me boxes of homemade Cherry Mash, for potato's sake. And the hell of it is, it's really GOOD; if it was crappy ersatz candy, I could throw it away without guilt, but my quasi-mother-in-law is actually rather skilled at it...

• Like 4

The Dean family baking weekend has now come and gone.

CA7F1E64-F7C6-48F7-AF2F-344D0957E970.thumb.jpeg.eada1822fef1ad06b3e94b3abab9b06e.jpeg

My son and I put down the paint brushes, the miniatures, and the dice,  gathered up our significant others and flung flour for two days.

A44B267C-15A0-4E45-9CDE-071E59E247E5.thumb.jpeg.ad5e7c7e18438bd53270a2fa151d30b4.jpeg

As usual, the one non-negotiable cookie is the Empire Biscuit.

AA9204EC-DF9C-45E9-AE59-B420790430E4.thumb.jpeg.c3930844d0408faf43ba8bd883d1c472.jpeg

This time, I actually have the recipe to hand.  Irene had typed up a number of the recipes last year, to preserve my notebook, and this year I copied the typed versions and laminated some of them so that we could tape them to the cabinets for hands-free reference.

5DA6181F-32BB-4AF5-BC34-D11A0848F735.thumb.jpeg.5ce67b5ac0d74c82c7461eeb81dfe80b.jpeg

The choclate mint dreams were tasty even if the icing was a bit stiff.

B0CAE7CF-36A0-44FE-98E1-3130062088AB.thumb.jpeg.52bce99644c0a83e71bf652582e3eb31.jpeg

Altogether, it was a good year. We tried a few experiments. Here’s the key picture that went with the packages:

C698B517-7BEF-4FCF-A520-938A5CE2DD3D.thumb.jpeg.e5a5a74322d169a19441d2208cb832f2.jpeg

From the top left and across are mint chocolate dreamsthe experimental pistachio rosewater cookies, cuddureddi (Sicilian fig filled cookies), candied pecans, sugar cookies, Russian tea cakes, shortbread cookies,  pfeffernuesse, biscotti, Empire Biscuit, and pizelles.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

As usual, the one non-negotiable cookie is the Empire Biscuit.

Got that straight!  Though I didn't get any made this year.  :(  Maybe I can talk DH into helping.... he has taken up baking while I've been recouperating. 

Most recently he made Cranberry Orange bread, which was very good and reminded me of my misspent youth in Boston:  http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2016/12/14/orange-cranberry-bread/

• Like 3