Things I Love About Christmas

GreyHorde

I had to look up "fan bake." Is it common to have such things in your ovens in Australia?

I love a good fruitcake too. So long as it hasn't any walnuts (allergic) or candied citrus peel (revolting), I'm good with just about any variation.

Yes - its on most ovens in Australia/New Zealand.

I don't really like bought candied citrus... but homemade candied & sugared orange peel is yummy!

All of my recipes are lacking in Brazil nuts - for the same reason you avoid walnuts!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is about sharing a bit of joy at Christmas. Got a favorite family tradition? A positive, uplifting story? A song that warms your heart on a cold Winter's night? Post it here.

:mellow:

Edited by TGP

I had to look up "fan bake." Is it common to have such things in your ovens in Australia?

I love a good fruitcake too. So long as it hasn't any walnuts (allergic) or candied citrus peel (revolting), I'm good with just about any variation.

Yes - its on most ovens in Australia/New Zealand.

I don't really like bought candied citrus... but homemade candied & sugared orange peel is yummy!

All of my recipes are lacking in Brazil nuts - for the same reason you avoid walnuts!

With homemade candied peel you can just candy the zest, the tasy part, and leave out the pith, the horrible bitter white stuff.

I think commercial candied peels leave in the pith out of laziness.

Your recipe does sound lovely.

• Like 1

I made Alton Brown's fruitcake back in October.  Lots of different dried fruits (raisins, apricots, cherries, blueberries, crystalized ginger), rum & pecans.  Tastes a lot like a certain high-end brand of fruitcake from Texas.  Yum!

In the interests of not losing my sanity I bought some small pre-baked gingerbread house kits for the kids to assemble this year.  I used to design, bake and assemble my own when I was a teen but it's hard to pull that off for 4 kids and we're late with everything this year.  They are super-excited at the prospect of doing crafts with candy.  ^_^

My seven year old gets to have a Polar Express party at school this year.  It's supposed to be a surprise, although I'm not sure how I'll get her out of the house in her PJs without telling her *something*. 

• Like 2

I made Alton Brown's fruitcake back in October.  Lots of different dried fruits (raisins, apricots, cherries, blueberries, crystalized ginger), rum & pecans.  Tastes a lot like a certain high-end brand of fruitcake from Texas.  Yum!

According to my dad, my grandmother used to prepare her fruitcake in the springtime. Then she'd let it "cure" in rum until Christmas. A couple years back he was trying to convince me to make it the way she did, and while he's been able to convince me to make a few things the way my grandmother did, he was not successful with that particular item :lol:

• Like 3

My seven year old gets to have a Polar Express party at school this year.  It's supposed to be a surprise, although I'm not sure how I'll get her out of the house in her PJs without telling her *something*. 

Send her to school with a gold coin donation and tell her that the school is doing a dress ups for donation day to raise money for the food bank or something?

• Like 1

According to my dad, my grandmother used to prepare her fruitcake in the springtime. Then she'd let it "cure" in rum until Christmas. A couple years back he was trying to convince me to make it the way she did, and while he's been able to convince me to make a few things the way my grandmother did, he was not successful with that particular item :lol:

If I'm organised I make my fruitcake at least 3 months in advance... it gives it time to really get nicely flavoured, brushing the booze over it every day....

• Like 1

Putting Muppet Christmas Carol on repeat and not getting sideways looks like I do when I watch it other times of year.

I love that movie.  I also watch Muppet Movie, The Muppets, Muppets for Space, Muppet Treasure Island, and Muppets Most Wanted repeatedly.  I listen to the Green Album. I have YouTube playlists of Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight episodes.

That or MST3K.  Which I also get for Christmas, because they release a boxed set every Thanksgiving.

Ohhh, me too, Muppets and Misties both!

We also love "A Muppet Family Christmas," a sweet 1987 TV special with muppets from most major muppet TV series (including Fraggle Rock!) singing Christmas songs while stranded at Fozzie Bear's Mom's house. Jim Henson makes a cameo at the end, washing dishes (almost his last appearance, I think. weep).

Do NOT watch "It's A Very Merry Christmas Muppet Movie," from 2002 with Whoopi Goldberg. It is ... it just ... Look, Kermit is depressed and attempts suicide and is shown how life would be without him. Miss Piggy is a miserably lonely phone sex worker. Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker are an S&M pair working as bouncers at a nasty nightclub. It is dark and hideous and traumatizing. Just don't.

If we had a working VCR we could watch our complete home-taped runs of the Muppet Show and MST 3K and Muppets Tonight.

I must see this movie now

I have the DVD...

It is not one of the muppet shows I put on endlessly. This and Muppet Wizard of Oz.  Also sub-par.

If I'm organised I make my fruitcake at least 3 months in advance... it gives it time to really get nicely flavoured, brushing the booze over it every day....

I use the same recipe and find that if the fruit is sufficiently 'moisturized' with booze (I think I double the amount suggested for the pre-soak) that constant attendance is not necessary.  And in fact one year I had rum cakes go bad because of the constant unwrapping which allowed something alcohol resistant to get into them. 

But they do keep very well regardless.  I had some forgotten in the back of the garage fridge (how that happened, I can't imagine) and they kept for a year.  

• Like 3

I use the same recipe and find that if the fruit is sufficiently 'moisturized' with booze (I think I double the amount suggested for the pre-soak) that constant attendance is not necessary.  And in fact one year I had rum cakes go bad because of the constant unwrapping which allowed something alcohol resistant to get into them. 

But they do keep very well regardless.  I had some forgotten in the back of the garage fridge (how that happened, I can't imagine) and they kept for a year.  

Two of the three different kinds we make don't use any alcohol, the third uses white wine. I can dig up the recipies if anyone wants. Just send a PM.

• Like 1

That's the idea. As I recall, my grandmother didn't do anything with the cakes after she'd prep'd them. She just left them. And come Christmastime, fruitcake!

I guess my dad likes it. I never cared for it though.

• Like 1