Things I Love About Christmas

GreyHorde

Regarding cloves, they do make a really nice air freshener when pushed into an orange, but that is about all I can think of that they do well that would be healthy for you (I used to smoke clove cigarettes, but not healthy so I'm not going to recommend it).

Oh, cloves are great if you grind them up. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, curry, gingerbread, and whatever that thing was I made the other day that I snuck cloves into without telling Hubby. He has interesting ideas about cloves and nutmeg, so I like to sneak them into his food without him being aware of it. Don't tell him :;):

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weekend before Christmas, I always make gingerbread cookie cutouts.  I love the way they fill the house with the scent of cloves, ginger, and cardamom. When done, my wife and the boys spend Sunday afternoon frosting and decorating them, then we bring them to our families on Christmas Eve and Day.

• Like 3

The weekend before Christmas, I always make gingerbread cookie cutouts.  I love the way they fill the house with the scent of cloves, ginger, and cardamom. When done, my wife and the boys spend Sunday afternoon frosting and decorating them, then we bring them to our families on Christmas Eve and Day.

gingerbread cookies are for Normals.  Us Geeks should be making:

5281609886_6660116b86_z.jpg

NINJABREAD COOKIES!

gingerbread cookies are for Normals.  Us Geeks should be making:

5281609886_6660116b86_z.jpg

NINJABREAD COOKIES!

At various times over the years we have made gingerbread Klingons and TARDISes and redshirts. We've made chocolate dragons and ninjas and Daleks and space marines.

I love holiday baking.

• Like 3

Regarding cloves, they do make a really nice air freshener when pushed into an orange, but that is about all I can think of that they do well that would be healthy for you (I used to smoke clove cigarettes, but not healthy so I'm not going to recommend it).

Oh, cloves are great if you grind them up. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, curry, gingerbread, and whatever that thing was I made the other day that I snuck cloves into without telling Hubby. He has interesting ideas about cloves and nutmeg, so I like to sneak them into his food without him being aware of it. Don't tell him :;):

i love the smell of cloves, and I love the clove gumdrops. I use ground cloves in my cranberry relish (because BH&G tells me to), and it's delicious.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, if anyone wants the recipe for Canoli Pie, let me know.

• Like 1

So here is the holiday season MUST WATCH LIST from the Tallghost crypt:

A Christmas Story

Muppet Christmas Carol

Charlie Brown Christmas Special

Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas

White Christmas

All of the Rankin & Bass Christmas Specials

Scrooge (1970 musical starring Albert Finney)

Nightmare Before Christmas

A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!

MST3K "Santa Claus" (A classic struggle of Evil vs. the narrator)

And the all time, absolute must watch (on the 24th, if possible):

The Shop Around the Corner

This year I'd like to add Gremlins and Batman Returns if I can find time.

• Like 3

I am disappointed there is no love for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!  I mean I love A Christmas Story and A Christmas Carol (although my favourite is and always will be the 1951 version starring Alastair Sims) but Christmas Vacation never fails to make me (and my whole family) laugh ourselves sick!

Most of my memories are swirled together so much around Christmas I have a hard time figuring out a favourite tradition.  Seeing my cousin (same age as me as well as a total D&D and comic nerd like me) was always great though.  We would have a great time talking about games, comics, Star Wars just everything.  I guess that would be my Christmas tradition.  He was the brother that, at the time, I really wanted to have (my actual brother is almost 5 years older than me so we didn't have a lot in common - I don't think we ever even went to the same school at the same time).

• Like 1

We do a largely Scandinavian Christmas Eve as well (Christmas Day is mostly American traditions): lefse, rømmegrøt, flatbread, krumkakker, boiled cod on boiled potatoes ... the food is very white.  ^_^

We open presents on Christmas Eve with the extended family ... after dinner ... and dessert ... and dish washing. (Kids these days with their new-fangled dish washing machines! In my day we washed the dishes by hand, and we ... well, actually, we hated it. But it was Tradition!) Then the kids distribute the presents while the adults sit back and watch the fun. It's kind of an exercise in patience and delayed gratification for the kids. It can get a bit hectic.

Christmas Day is for the nuclear family celebration, which includes the rest of the presents that we don't bring to the extended family thing. Plus stockings and Santa Claus of course.

All of my recipes are lacking in Brazil nuts - for the same reason you avoid walnuts!

It's my understanding that walnuts and Brazil nuts have high concentrations of an alkaloid that is a common cause of contact reactions. (I have a fairly unpleasant reaction to both walnuts and Brazil nuts.)

The Wikipedia article on Brazil Nuts is pretty interesting. Among other things, apparently the fruit is heavy enough to kil harvesters.

• Like 2

Italian Xmas Eve...homemade spinach and ricotta ravioli with homemade sauce and homemade garlic bread. Xmas day is turkey or ham with...stuff that goes with turkey or ham.

I miss my Dad's ravioli and garlic bread. He was an amazing cook. His potato pancakes and sausage were heavenly and his three cheese  and sausage lasagna was the best I ever had. 

• Like 2