Things I Love About Christmas

GreyHorde

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting Muppet Christmas Carol on repeat and not getting sideways looks like I do when I watch it other times of year.

I love that movie.  I also watch Muppet Movie, The Muppets, Muppets for Space, Muppet Treasure Island, and Muppets Most Wanted repeatedly.  I listen to the Green Album. I have YouTube playlists of Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight episodes.

Muppet Christmas Carol is probably my favorite Christmas movie. It's pretty much the only Christmas movie that I genuinely like.

Christmas carols and hymns and Trans Siberian Orchestra and driving through neighborhoods admiring the pretty lights people put on their houses are also favorites. One year we went to an animated Christmas light show where the lights were set to music that was being broadcast on short wave radio. You just pulled up near the place that was doing it and tuned your car radio to the right station and they did a bunch of Trans Siberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller songs with the lights rushing around the property to match. It was great!

• Like 1

We used to always go to my grandparents house for breakfast Christmas morning when I was a kid, then we moved to Greensboro and couldn't keep the tradition up, after my sister got married and she and her husband moved back to Wilson they started the tradition up again, my dad and I get up around six thirty and start cooking; bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits, grits, coffee, and more. We usually eat around 9:15 or so, my sister and her family come over; usually bringing hash brown casserole; and my brother and his family come over and we all eat and exchange gifts and have a good time, then split up for lunch and all meetup at my aunt's house (inherited from my grandparents) and have Christmas supper with my other aunts and cousins, and this year my oldest cousin and her husband will have her baby there. So he and my youngest nephew can baby talk to each other.

• Like 2

I love going to cut down a fresh Christmas tree. And getting sap on my gloves. Yes, I love that (that's what soap is for). I also love the inevitable roaming spider on my ceiling that comes out of the tree. Hey, if that fella managed to stay in the tree through the car ride home, s/he can stay on the ceiling! :lol:

• Like 1

Eggnog, Christmas Breakfast.  We really dont have that many tradition in my family. I should do something for myself this year that would be memorable. Any suggestions?

Mini painting!

That is a great idea, I think I will try to incorporate that!

Also, I just remember something. I know on Christmas day we open gifts in a "circle": We pass out all the firsts and start with my mother, then father, etc. each person opens a gift and everyone watches. We started this because we wanted to make Christmas last longer. Rather than everyone ripping into gifts and it being over in about 10 seconds. It gives us all time to soak it all in. 

• Like 4

Eggnog, Christmas Breakfast.  We really dont have that many tradition in my family. I should do something for myself this year that would be memorable. Any suggestions?

Mini painting!

Also, I just remember something. I know on Christmas day we open gifts in a "circle": We pass out all the firsts and start with my mother, then father, etc. each person opens a gift and everyone watches. We started this because we wanted to make Christmas last longer. Rather than everyone ripping into gifts and it being over in about 10 seconds. It gives us all time to soak it all in. 

Oh.  We hand them to people one by one and everyone watches while that one person opens the present.

I didn't realize anyone did it differently.

Doesn't everyone ripping into things in a free for all kind of detract from the awareness of who gave you the gift?

• Like 4

Mini painting!

Oh.  We hand them to people one by one and everyone watches while that one person opens the present.

I didn't realize anyone did it differently.

Doesn't everyone ripping into things in a free for all kind of detract from the awareness of who gave you the gift?

When  I was young my family didn't really get into the spirit of Christmas... I guess as my mother saw us growing up...

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 2