Sign in to follow this  
Auberon

Shadows of Eldolan

Hey all. I've decided to try my hand at running a pbp here using the 13th Age system. I'm not sure how many of you have actually played it, but hopefully some of you will be willing to give it a try. ::):

If you happen to be a 3E/Pathfinder fanatic, Jonathan Tweet explains why you should set his old system aside for a moment and try his new one.

The good news: If you don't own the core book, the publisher has made the rules available as a free pdf here.

The bad news: They don't want the free edition to be so nice that you don't buy the book. Not only have all the pretties been removed, so has some of the formatting. It reads like an old netbook (but with hyperlinking). It also does not include the six classes from 13 True Ways. Of course I can help clear up any confusion and you can always acquire the full edition (legally from the publisher of course).

Players: 4-6

Classes: All*

Races: All*

Alignment: No evil

Stats: Standard point buy (28)

Level: 1st

Dice: Polyhedral

* No 3rd party, just Fire Opal.

Legal: 13th Age 1st edition c 2013 Fire Opal Media; published by Pelgrane Press Ltd.

Now for the fun stuff. “A short distance down the coast from the mighty city of Horizon, the town of Eldolan has its own problems. Students of the town’s three rival wizard schools constantly feud and create trouble for the town guard, the Silver Shields, who must clean up the wizards’ messes. The Council of Mages—who truly rule the town—involve themselves with stints of political one-upmanship that keeps any true political progress from moving forward. And rumors of people going missing have been on the rise, keeping the common folk close to the magically lighted streets when they go out at night. But a darkness has been growing in Eldolan, and those who seek old power have set plans in motion to remind everyone what true fear is. “

Shadows of Eldolan is an introductory adventure that features investigation, roleplaying, and a good chunk of combat. It is an entirely urban adventure, so any talent/spell/feat that is only useful in the wilderness is better not taken. This in no way precludes rangers and such; you just want to avoid certain options

If we end up with more than 6 applicants, I'll do the usual and create a queue. 

Potential Players:

SparksMurphy - Kadu

Evilhalfling - Rizzel

Kangaroorex - Ruth

Blubbernaught (?)

I'm not really familiar with 13th Age, but I'll throw my hat into the ring as interested in giving it a shot.       I'll have to put some thought into what sort of character to put together and go over the SRD (Which also, it looks like, is hosted on ENworld as an online document).

A nibble but no bites eh?  We'll give it one more shot. 

If you happen to be a 3E/Pathfinder fanatic, Jonathan Tweet explains why you should set his old system aside for a moment and try his new one.

Also, if you happen to be hesitant to try 13th Age because you heard that it's what the 4E crowd moved to, I can tell you that this system is in no way 4.5E.  The core framework really is 3E, even if it does utilize some 4E elements.

Well, I'm biting.  But I'm a small fish.     The system looks a bit more complicated than the 3.5E stuff I'm most used to, but it looks familiar enough for me to get my head around.    Just trying to get settled out of distractions enough to put together a character to offer up to the dice gods.

It doesn't look like this one is getting of the ground.  In order to have a more successful gathering in the future, I have a question for those of you that took a look and passed.

Did you decided not to post a character because:

A) You're tapped out on pbp and don't have time to join another one.

B) You've tried 13th Age already and didn't like it or you took a look at the SRD and were not interested.

C) You only play 3.5/Pathfinder.

D) Other.

Thanks for any input. 

sorry this didn't run.  I love 13th age, and am about 11 sessions into my own campaign (6th level), but haven't got a chance as a player. 

I have a concept that would be great for this A gnome sorcerer/chaos mage (either one CM talent or full multi-class) 

If there is enough renewed interest, count me in.  

Rizzel Fitzwindlebottom. 

One Unique thing:  His right arm is invisible due to an accident where he blew up one of the archmage's research towers.

After the explosion he stowed away on a flying ship run by an undead pirate queen.  (This seemed like a good idea at the time) When he was caught he managed to keep the crew entertained as a jester until he was able to escape.   The Archmage caught up with him then, and sent him to Eldoln for "training" 

If he disappears that's fine with the AM, if there is some random explosion, at least the town is used to it, and he has gotten lucky before.....

Icons: 2 conflicted Archmage, 1 positive Lich King. 

Backgrounds: 

Failed Arcane Researcher 

Respectable Horizon Family 

Jester on a dead ship

Talents: 

Gold Wyrm Heritage (inborn)

Undead Heritage (earned) 

+ see below: 

What I was actually looking at was making up a talent (similar to the Sorcerer's arcane heritage) That allows him to use one of his spell selections for a random chaos mage spell, which changes at each heal up. gather power would not effect this spell. Additionally like Chaos mages, whenever he is hit by a critical - High Weirdness (or not if you don't have 13TW or like high weirdness) 

Edited by Evilhalfling

I'm keen to give this a shot, if you're still up for running it.

Sure, if enough people want to play.   Are you familiar with the system?

sorry this didn't run.  I love 13th age, and am about 11 sessions into my own campaign (6th level), but haven't got a chance as a player. 

I have a concept that would be great for this A gnome sorcerer/chaos mage (either one CM talent or full multi-class) 

If there is enough renewed interest, count me in.  

Rizzel Fitzwindlebottom. 

One Unique thing:  His right arm is invisible due to an accident where he blew up one of the archmage's research towers.

After the explosion he stowed away on a flying ship run by an undead pirate queen.  (This seemed like a good idea at the time) When he was caught he managed to keep the crew entertained as a jester until he was able to escape.   The Archmage caught up with him then, and sent him to Eldoln for "training" 

If he disappears that's fine with the AM, if there is some random explosion, at least the town is used to it, and he has gotten lucky before.....

Icons: 2 conflicted Archmage, 1 positive Lich King. 

Backgrounds: 

Failed Arcane Researcher 

Respectable Horizon Family 

Jester on a dead ship

Talents: 

Gold Wyrm Heritage (inborn)

Undead Heritage (earned) 

+ see below: 

What I was actually looking at was making up a talent (similar to the Sorcerer's arcane heritage) That allows him to use one of his spell selections for a random chaos mage spell, which changes at each heal up. gather power would not effect this spell. Additionally like Chaos mages, whenever he is hit by a critical - High Weirdness (or not if you don't have 13TW or like high weirdness) 

I played a 2E wild magic user back in the day so I'm fine with randomness.   It is something that I prefer everyone to be on board with though, so it's your fellow players you'd need to convince.

If Blubbernaught is still interested, we'd just need one more.

I'm not, but I'll give the SRD a good read through. Familiar with DnD 3e/3.5/Pathfinder/4e, though, so I'm not anticipating any major problems, just details.

Should I post my character on here, or PM to you, or wait, or...?

I'm not, but I'll give the SRD a good read through. Familiar with DnD 3e/3.5/Pathfinder/4e, though, so I'm not anticipating any major problems, just details.

Should I post my character on here, or PM to you, or wait, or...?

Here is fine.  While I would recommend a so called "balanced" party I won't require it.  Go for whatever you feel like.

I'm thinking of going with a Fighter or Paladin bodyguard concept. At the moment, though the Sampson Flat bushfire in South Australia is drawing my attention, as it's been within 500m of my childhood home for the last 24-hours and is still out of control. I'll put something together when my head's clearer.

Id suggest a paladin,13th age fighters are a little wonky, esp at 1st-2nd level.  The talents are good but a fighters flexible attacks kinda suck. 

Besides, if you take Lay on Hands we can probably manage without forcing someone to play a full healer. 

High Weirdness is a d100 effects table that happens when a Chaos Mage is hit by a critical- 10% It will be bad for PCs, 50% positive, 40% cosmetic or balanced effects.  You can take a feat to make it happen more often, and Full Chaos Mages can do it as a Standard action, but this character can't. 

The book is a little paranoid that other players will hate this, but mostly it is less extreme than the old 2e  wildmagic table (although I like that one too) 

Id suggest a paladin,13th age fighters are a little wonky, esp at 1st-2nd level.  The talents are good but a fighters flexible attacks kinda suck. 

Besides, if you take Lay on Hands we can probably manage without forcing someone to play a full healer. 

Interestingly enough the people I play with would have the opposite opinion.  They like flexible attacks and find the paladin kind of boring.

I present Kadu Valasdottir Ashfist, dwarven paladin:

Backstory:

Clan Ashfist is a mining clan whose lower reaches were home to an entity known as Umugar’abiuzzum, or “the Death in the Deepnessâ€. Many decades ago, the clan began offering minor prayers and eventually sacrifices to this being to ward off it’s evil influence, a practice that eventually became twisted into outright worship. It was into this environment that Kadu was born, never thinking twice about the religious practices she was raised with.

Lord Reward Barning, a paladin of some note, organised an expedition into the mines to determine what became of several merchants from Horizon who had vanished in the region. The Ashfists initially attempted to deceive the expedition, but when it became apparent that this was not working, they changed tactics and sacrificed several of the humans to Umugar’abiuzzum.

During the battle that followed, Kadu was one of several seized as hostages as the expedition withdrew. She spent the final 7 years of her minority amongst the monks of the Shrine of the Warden Agiel the Beneficent. Technically, she was a ward of the Shrine, though with her evil origins, she was treated as little more than a prisoner. When she reached adulthood, she elected to become a paladin of the order, a choice that surprised many at the Shrine and has left some skeptical.

One Unique Thing: Can smell the influence of Umugar’abiuzzum, the Death in the Deepness

Icons:
2 point conflicted heroic: Lord Reward Barning, Paladin of the Shrine of the Warden Agiel the Beneficent.

1 point negative villainous: Valas Belegondsson Ashfist, her father and Low Priest of the Death in the Deepness

Backgrounds:
Temple acolyte 3
Prisoner 2
Knight warden 3

Class Feature: Smite Evil
Racial Power: That’s Your Best Shot?

Talents:
Bastion
Paladin’s Challenge
Lay on Hands

Feats:
Bastion Adventurer

Gear: battleaxe, throwing axe, half-plate armour, shield, monk robes, pendant of the Warden Agiel the Beneficent, flint and tinder box, small money pouch, traveling satchel, rain cloak, road rations (5 days), sleeping roll, water flask

Numbers:

STR: 16
CON: 18
DEX: 10
INT: 8
WIS: 14
CHA: 12

Initiative: 1
AC: 21
PD: 14
MD: 14
HP: 36