Hello all,

I'm not really sure where to put this so as corks are used in sculpting I thought here might be ok. 

Where do you all buy your corks that you put under the armatures/minis?

I mean I know you can go to places like Hobby Lobby/Micheal's but they are like $1.50 each and I kinda have a feeling that there are places to get them for less but my google-fu is failing to get me to where I want to be.  So, I figured you all would know where to go to buy these or can at least tell me that 1.50 $ is what they run.

And while I'm at it, what size are you using, like a size 16? 

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Torren

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get mine at the liquor store.  They cost anywhere from $10 to $30 each, but come with a nice bottle and a few glasses of wine for free.

The problem I have had with corks purchased at hobby stores and the like is that they are not has dense, perhaps because they haven't spent time squeezed in a bottle.  As a result, they do not hold the armatures as securely as wine corks.

I actually prefer the new fake wine corks over the real ones. The armature slides into them better and holds tighter than real cork.

For larger sculpts, I join multiple wine corks together using Apoxie sculpt/GS.  Then I use my sander to even out the top and bottom (if real cork) and, if i want a smooth surface, put a rolled sheet of GS onto the corks.  I can post pictures of all this later if you want them.  I just don't have access to that now.

If you don't like wine or don't want to drink that much, just ask around your family and friends. I have about a dozen people who hand me corks all the time.

• Like 14

Actually, that's why I had to come here b/c I don't drink and don't know anyone that does, LOL!!!  I know It's weird but I have MS so I'm on a ton of medicine that doesn't mix well with Alchol..Haha.... Can you just go to a Liqour Store and ask them?  I mean do they even have stuff like that?  Wow, I just realized I sound like I'm 12 or something... But I haven't been to a Liqour Store in like 20 years so I'm way out of touch with anything like that... Thanks for the info though.

T

Actually, that's why I had to come here b/c I don't drink and don't know anyone that does, LOL!!!  I know It's weird but I have MS so I'm on a ton of medicine that doesn't mix well with Alchol..Haha.... Can you just go to a Liqour Store and ask them?  I mean do they even have stuff like that?  Wow, I just realized I sound like I'm 12 or something... But I haven't been to a Liqour Store in like 20 years so I'm way out of touch with anything like that... Thanks for the info though.

T

See my previous post, we posted at the same time.

Is there a better size for what we work with? 

T

It really depends on the sculpt and the pose.  I have made a lot of different holding solutions, usually custom made for one sculpt or the other.  Usually, a single wine cork is fine for a humanoid up to 34mm (unless you do really wide stances like some of Tre's work).

For horizontal critters, I put corks together.  I can take some pictures of my various configurations tonight.  Most commonly though I use 2 side-by-side corks, which works for most things that you want to fit on a cavalry base.

Another solution are screw blocks (2 blocks of wood that screw together pinching the armature wires between them).  They are good for 2 legged critters, but I don't use them much because most of my sculpts have 4 legs.

• Like 3

Homebrew stores are good, they of course sell the corks to use in wine bottles. Mine were (I think) 30c each Australian so you'd probably get them dirt cheap in other countries. They also sell bigger corks, possibly for preserving jars or pickles maybe. I actually mentioned that I was using mine for craft related stuff/modelling and he said they sell quite a bit of their stock for such purposes.

I may however be taking for granted how common homebrew stores are elsewhere in the world.

• Like 2

I got mine from work, because there's a bar at my hotel. I also prefer the not-actually-cork-corks. Also, if you don't drink, but you cook, and you use wine in your cooking (which you totally should because it makes things taste better) you can get corks that way. Hubby and I also do not drink, but we use wine to cook. I usually just whatever wine is cheapest (or has the neatest looking label when prices are even; what can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty pictures) and those ones usually come with fuax-corks. ^_^

• Like 4

I got mine from work, because there's a bar at my hotel. I also prefer the not-actually-cork-corks. Also, if you don't drink, but you cook, and you use wine in your cooking (which you totally should because it makes things taste better) you can get corks that way. Hubby and I also do not drink, but we use wine to cook. I usually just whatever wine is cheapest (or has the neatest looking label when prices are even; what can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty pictures) and those ones usually come with fuax-corks. ^_^

We do that too. I shall have to remember to hang on to the corks.

• Like 2