Sign in to follow this  
Jessie

Making a mounted paladin

Are there any figures that have a paladin type miniature that is available both mounted on a horse and available by himself in a normal pose? I have been wanting to make a character for a while that is a mounted fighter. But it would be best if that character could be both by himself with the horse by itself, and mounted on the horse. I know a lot of the mounted figures split up into boneyard parts so getting the horse by itself seems easy, but do any of them match non-mounted figures? I've searched by their names and couldn't come up with anything, but wasn't sure if there was something that would be similar enough. Thanks for any help!

I remember you used to be able to buy sets like that, but it was a long time ago so it probably wasn't Reaper that sold them.  Thunderbolt Mountain is the only manufacturer I can think of at the moment who has sets like that. 

I heard suggestions that when the mounted figures become available in Bones that it would be an easy swap to take an existing PC and use their top half on the Bones cavalry.  I haven't tried it yet, but I will be. 

• Like 3

I wonder why companies stopped making them. They seemed like popular minis when they were around. The only mounted/foot pairs I've seen in recent years were in the Mierce Darkland line and Arena Rex, and neither of those look like traditional paladins.

I wonder why companies stopped making them. They seemed like popular minis when they were around. The only mounted/foot pairs I've seen in recent years were in the Mierce Darkland line and Arena Rex, and neither of those look like traditional paladins.

Have you seen the prices of mounted miniatures in 28mm pewter?

I don't have access to Reaper's sales data, but I'd be willing to bet the mounted figs they make don't do incredibly well. Barros and Tempest is an absolutely gorgeous kit, but it costs something like $30, IIRC. That's a bit rich for a PC mini. Low sales means low future production, and if you aren't often replenishing your stock of an existing SKU, why make more similar ones?

And selling a kit with horse, rider, and unmounted dude all in one blister just makes the whole thing more expensive.

It wasn't so bad when Ral Partha did it because a)25mm uses less metal, B)lower expectations in the industry meant horses were generally way too small in scale (less metal), and c)tin didn't cost more than oil (I may be exaggerating, but tin is way more expensive now than in RP's heyday). So the pack cost less in comparison to single-fig minis than it would now.

Bones may change that, though there weren't too many mounted figs in Bones II (I believe they were some of the most expensive molds to produce, though that is hazy recollection and speculation talking). Once the bones mounted figs come along, though, it should be simple enough to cut a few figs up at the waist.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 2

I don't have access to Reaper's sales data, but I'd be willing to bet the mounted figs they make don't do incredibly well. Barros and Tempest is an absolutely gorgeous kit, but it costs something like $30, IIRC. That's a bit rich for a PC mini. Low sales means low future production, and if you aren't often replenishing your stock of an existing SKU, why make more similar ones?

But if you look at it in reverse, once you have Barros & Tempest for $30, why not throw in foot-Barros for another $4-5?

• Like 1

But if you look at it in reverse, once you have Barros & Tempest for $30, why not throw in foot-Barros for another $4-5?

I absolutely agree. If I'm playing a character that's regularly mounted, I'm going to throw in the dismounted version on my order. Or make my own, as above.

EDIT: Privateer Press makes kits that come with a mounted and dismounted version of the same character, but only one or two per faction.

• Like 2

I absolutely agree. If I'm playing a character that's regularly mounted, I'm going to throw in the dismounted version on my order. Or make my own, as above.

EDIT: Privateer Press makes kits that come with a mounted and dismounted version of the same character, but only one or two per faction.

Problem is, with the price of metal, it's seven or eight bucks for that additional figure (more if it's multipart), not four or five. And if nobody's buying the model at normal price, why would a company like Reaper expect to sell it at normal + x? That's why you don't see many kits like that. I hope Bones can solve the issue, but I don't expect it to happen soon.

PrivPress' dragoon solos are nice pieces...and thirty bucks or so. And fairly limited in character types...

PrivPress' dragoon solos are nice pieces...and thirty bucks or so. And fairly limited in character types...

The only one I personally own is the Pain Knight.

Yeah, what Sanael said.

Sir Titus is the on-foot version of the Crusader Lion's Lancer, but I think you could also use him as the on-foot version of Sir Danel or possibly even Sir Damon, all of which would make excellent paladin minis.  ::):

Thanks that's extremely helpful. I knew there had to be something matching. Price is no object for the Perfect Paladin.

• Like 3

It wasn't so bad when Ral Partha did it because a)25mm uses less metal, B)lower expectations in the industry meant horses were generally way too small in scale (less metal), and c)tin didn't cost more than oil (I may be exaggerating, but tin is way more expensive now than in RP's heyday). So the pack cost less in comparison to single-fig minis than it would now.

And figures also probably cost more now because fewer sell overall due to prepaint competition and fewer game stores. Lots of gamers who would have bought metal figs now buy in plastic, and there are far fewer game stores keeping lines in stock, so each metal fig individually has to recoup more of it's production costs.