aku-chan

A Great Game Hunter Rogue

I love the pants, the jacket and the shirt. I feel like the crossbow could use a little more weathering. 

As I was looking at the pics, i thought "Oh, he used a paper towel as a background. It's neat how the dot's make an impression of falling snow while he's out in the wild." Or maybe I'm just really in a Christmas mood. Did anyone else get this feeling?

EDIT: Also, I like your base. It really sells him as being off on his own.

Edited by Tallghost
  • Like 1

The color choices are quite nice. I agree that his crossbow looks a bit "right off the shelf" for a hunter in the wilds. Really digging the base!

• Like 1

You know I have never really been a fan of Kingdom Death stuff, but this one is really nice. I like the posture, the look, the equipment he is holding and that expression. Your paint job is really nice. thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

It's a great mini and well painted as to the crossbow, it does look like it is brand new and I think that may be due to the fact that appears to have no grain detail on the wood. But you have done an excellent job.

• Like 1

He's so colorful. The KD miniatures -- or at least their illustrations -- always look so dark and glum. I really like your take on him.

• Like 2

Most of the ones I've seen are so dark brown as to be almost black. But they are old. They tend to have darker edges, I guess from handling.

So maybe some grime where hands and fingers would be much of the time?

• Like 1

Oh, also the crossbow doesn't have a string, which affects its look.

The ones I've seen have really thick strings, like rope, wound heavily around the ends of the bow.

I think this one looks good, just very clean.

• Like 1

Really like the shading on the flesh.  Very smooth transitions. Same with the pants and shirt. I like his gray hair but it could use either a bit of shading or highlighting to enhance the texture. His eyes are a little "wild" looking although very, very well done.  I'm not sure if it's the camera, but the fur looks a little "plastic."  Maybe some deeper shading would reduce that.  Great job on the belt buckle and other metal fixtures. And what exactly is that blue scarf-thing?  Looks good but I don't know what it is.

• Like 1

Oh, also the crossbow doesn't have a string, which affects its look.

The ones I've seen have really thick strings, like rope, wound heavily around the ends of the bow.

I think this one looks good, just very clean.

I think stringing crossbows is a little beyond my non-existent modding skills, but I do think I'll try painting it a little darker.

I'm going to practise on the crossbow of my Pin-up Hunter first though.

Really like the shading on the flesh.  Very smooth transitions. Same with the pants and shirt. I like his gray hair but it could use either a bit of shading or highlighting to enhance the texture. His eyes are a little "wild" looking although very, very well done.  I'm not sure if it's the camera, but the fur looks a little "plastic."  Maybe some deeper shading would reduce that.  Great job on the belt buckle and other metal fixtures. And what exactly is that blue scarf-thing?  Looks good but I don't know what it is.

The fur isn't so shiny looking in hand, that's down to my poor camera skills, but my struggle with painting short hair continues!

I'm pretty sure the scarf is a hunting trophy, it looks a lot like part of the robes that a monster called The Watcher is made of.

Great job! I wouldn't have guessed this guy was a KD figure as he lacks horns/woe/ insanity/etc. I strung a bow once using my wife's hair. I believe there's a tutorial linked on my WIP of the Nubian Princess or something like that. Aren't these larger than 28mm?

• Like 1

Great job! I wouldn't have guessed this guy was a KD figure as he lacks horns/woe/ insanity/etc. I strung a bow once using my wife's hair. I believe there's a tutorial linked on my WIP of the Nubian Princess or something like that. Aren't these larger than 28mm?

They're 35mm I think (30 something anyways).

I'll check out that tutorial, as I said, I'll try out some stuff on another crossbow and if it works I'll return to this guy.

That base looks simply amazing.

I really like the shading you've done on his skin, and the color choices really compliment each other and look very nice while still being true to the character of the mini. Very nice!

• Like 1