Sign in to follow this  
FaekiasDracon

Wraith: The Oblivion 20th anniversary edition.

Don't know how much interest this one will stir up around here, but I LOVED the original game. Onyx Path, the spiritual successor to White Wolf and licensee of the White Wolf line of games is kickstarting a 20th anniversary edition of Wraith: the Oblivion.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-wraith-the-oblivion-20th-anniversary-editio

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
  • Like 2

it was definitely better in a small group, I had four in my game back in 2000, and then me as storyteller.  I couldn't see it working for many more, like the Mage game I played in at the same time where we had 17.

Edited by FaekiasDracon
  • Like 1

I'm just saying that in my experience the emotional impact of some of the things Wraith deals with are better suited to a small group of very close friends while Mage was much more easily scalable.  My Wraith game touched a lot of emotional areas for the five of us, most of us had just lost our first grandparent and three of us were children of divorce, the broken home and meeting of deceased family themes came up and helped us work through lingering issues.  I wouldn't have been able to do that in a larger game, nor with any other game that I knew of at the time.

• Like 2

Wow, we had a hard time getting it to work with more than 1 on 1, but I guess it probably depends on what you are trying to get out of the experience. We played Vampire, Mage, and Werewolf with very large groups and that worked well but it seemed like Wraith was such a personal story that it was hard to do right with more than 1 player. 

Maybe we just didn't get far enough into the background of the game. We were pretty caught up in Vampire's world at the time, maybe we just kinda brushed off Wraith and didn't give it a fair shake.

While I am sure that Wraith can be run with more people than my group had, it was my first time as storyteller and the types of stories we wanted to play weren't something we wanted too public as they were intimate stories of personal loss and struggle. If we wanted a game to just be fighting the maelstrom, and spectres and such I'm sure it would have been easier and we could have let more players in.

Again. I'm not saying that you can't play the game with a huge group, it's just a different style than what we wanted at the time and my style of storytelling fit better with the small group dynamic. As always, it is your game to play as you see fit, but my small group at the time wanted what we did. I have since run much larger games in different systems, but Wraith to me remains a very emotional game at its core and one that I personally wouldn't want too large a group for as you lose the impact of my storytelling style(for this particular game) as you have to focus on more and more people.

• Like 1

And we will now have all the arcanoi in the core book iirc, and are working towards having an updated version of the Book of Oblivion in PDF. Yay!!!

• Like 1

Well, this is down to the last 26 hours. Looks like we'll break a few more stretch goals before then. Get it while the getting's good. :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      Hi people.
      Im going to start another PBP.  So far I have interest from @ShadowRaven, @dwarvenranger, @Dilvish the Deliverer, and @Kangaroorex.

We’re going to start the Serpent’s Skull adventure path.  Pathfinder 1e.

All books are in play, but I reserve the right to veto something if it seems too gross/bloated.

Please utilize the Serpent’s Skull Players Guide from the Paizo website.

Abilities: 4d6, reroll all 1’s, drop lowest score, yielding ranges from 2-18 pre mods.

Avg. Starting gold.

We’ll follow the AP leveling track when possible.

We’ll have individual initiative.

I hope to get this started soon, so please post those characters.

-edits-
      House Rules
      1. HP beyond first level.  Roll the hit die.  If the roll is less than”avg” then take avg instead.  Example: Wizard d6.  Rolls a 1.  Gets 4hp instead, before Con mod.
      2. Acrobatics can be used to avoid AOO when standing from prone.
      3. If someone is not responding and action is waiting for them, I’ll send a pm after 24 hours.  If no response 24 hours later, I’ll take over that character to get action rolling again.
    • By Darcstaar
      Part 1 of the Serpent’s Skull Adventure Path.  By James Jacobs, (c) 2010.
      Paizo Publishing.

Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
    • By Darcstaar
      Copyright 2012 Paizo Publishing.

Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast

You can decide if you know each other before the start of the adventure, or are all randomly passing through this small rural town on your way to or from Korvosa.
      You have heard rumor that a carnival passes through this town, and have come to investigate and have some fun.
      As you mill about the carnival grounds, you can sample delicious food from vendors, view exotic sights or shows, and participate in games of skill and chance.

Let me know what types of things you are interested in, and if/how you know each other.
    • By ChristopherGeorge
      Hey guys,

I've been lurking and posting around these forums for nigh a while now and i thought i'd share a project that i've been working on for quite some time.

It's a tabletop roleplaying Game that i've been working on for about 20 years now as a personal hobby. After much convincing, I've decided to create a 4th Edition and make it available to the world at large.

The Quickstart guide is a free starter pack for the System, including how to make a character, equip them and conduct simple adventures. I'm looking at releasing a Kickstarter next year to release the full core system, but for now i'm just looking for feedback and interest.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/282100/Tides-of-Prophecy-Quickstart-Guide

Check it out, hey, it's free. I'd be very appreciative for any feedback, comments or constructive critique you could provide!

Cheers,

Christopher George
    • By alchemist
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147900702/black-hallows-townsfolk/description
      About
      Welcome to Black Hallows, where light and dark wrestle for control, where travelers must be on their guard as even the most innocent looking old woman could be hiding a secret... let us introduce you to the Townsfolk of Black Hallows.
       The Townsfolk is a range of 14 non-player character miniatures, crafted from the highest grade, lead free Pewter (This quality of metal is normally only used for masters). They are available in either 28mm or 32mm and will come with their own base toppers and plastic bases. They are ideal for use in role playing games like D&D, Pathfinder, etc. Use them in your war games or collect and paint them for display.
      28mm miniatures have 25mm plastic bases and 32mm miniatures have 32mm plastic bases.
      We are also offering any of the characters in a 75mm resin version (see below). 75mm resin versions have a cast resin plinth.
      All of the manufacture will be done in-house at Z1 Design, which means as soon as the first batch is ready, we can ship. So early backers can expect early delivery. We will deliver in order of backer number and it is possible that we will ship the first batch before Christmas.
       The future of Black Hallows -
      We are currently working on further characters including both townsfolk and hero characters. The main Black Hallows game is scheduled for release in 2019. This will include 4 factions and the option of an extensive range of scenery and buildings.
      We also have an author working on the Novel of Black Hallows.
      We have an exciting year ahead of us!
      PLEASE NOTE THAT THE MAIN BLACK HALLOWS GAME TO BE RELEASED IN 2019 WILL USE 32mm MINIATURES
      75mm Resin Miniatures
      All of the Townsfolk are available at 75mm cast in resin. Centrifugal cast in a high quality polyurethane resin.
      Just add £18 per miniature to your pledge. You can choose as many as you like from the full range.
      Or you can pledge for the Collectors/ Painters Pledge which includes all 15 miniatures (including the Druid) for £240

Painted Samples
      The 75mm Blacksmith painted by Angel Giraldez
      Here we have the Druid & the Farmer's daughter painted by Elias Alonso
       We have to say a big thanks to Alfonso Prieto and Elias Alonso from Beholder factory for working with us to create this project.
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 3 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)