Imperial Assault

Chrome

Star Wars Descent - better known as Imperial Assault - is out now. I played 2 missions with some buddies last night and we had a blast.

SWI01-layout-skirmish2.png

If you're familiar with Descent, IA is pretty much Descent 3.0 with a Star Wars skin. I really like the changes that they've made to the system so far, but I haven't played as the Imperial Player yet so I'm not sure how that compares to playing the Overlord in D2E.

If you're not familiar with Descent, think of IA as D&D with only combat. Each time you play you assemble a map using different tiles that connect together like puzzle pieces. 1 player controls all of the Imperial forces, while the other players each control 1 character playing for the Rebels. You then try and complete your mission parameters in a set time limit. The missions chain together to form a campaign during which you can improve your character's skills, abilities, and gear. (Or you can just play one-off missions.) 

Sadly I can't pick up my copy until Thursday night. The agony!!!!

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 4

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Learn to Play book, Rules Reference book, and Skirmish rule book are all available for free. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=271&esem=4 The only thing you can't download is the Campaign book.

I'm very excited about trying this in skirmish mode. I've become burnt out on X-Wing lately and am looking forward to something that doesn't require me to guesstimate where my opponent's and my own units will be moving.

I've been watching this but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Thanks for the mini review, makes me more likely to bite the bullet sooner.

And I just realized! Maybe I can use AT-STs from this as rooks for my SW chess set!

If you're not a die-hard for supporting your LGS, or don't have one, don't forget MiniatureMarket or coolstuffinc (sorry, not linking) for about 30-33% sub-retail.

Edited by Baphomet69
  • Like 2

Oooohhhh

*drool*

Since it's from Fantasy Flight, is it going to be available in Target?

It's possible, but I doubt it. Target carried the X-Wing core box 2 years ago and couldn't sell any of them. (Until they put them on clearance at 75% off, then every X-Wing player was trying to get their hands on them.)

And I just realized! Maybe I can use AT-STs from this as rooks for my SW chess set!

Hope you have a big chess board. The AT-ST's base is about 3" x 2".

I'm waiting excitedly for this to come out locally. I've got a ton of the WotC prepainted minis that I could use for the game, though I suspect I'd need to buy the relevant expansion packs to get the rules for any minis I want to use.

If the rules are good the WotC pre-painted line (of which I have a gajillion) looks like it would be perfect to use. I have a number of boards that could be used if the scale is off from the ones in the set.