Anyone around here familiar with Tehnolog 1/35 fantasy figures?

scorpio616

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... It's hard to find anything online, and what there is does not want to load properly.

Some are arguing about the scale being overlarge (looks like it is). You probably already know, but worth pointing out that 1/35 scale is not the same as 35mm. However, the pics I've seen don't look to be as large as 1/35, either. Some are saying these are 38mm scale, which is rather large.

There's also talk out there that some of the sculpts were originally the property of another company, but that might just be the GW fans grousing.

I saw that for awhile at least, IMEX was bringing in their terrains and buildings in three different scales, but not sure anymore.

• Like 1

Hmm... It's hard to find anything online, and what there is does not want to load properly.

That's the whole internet for me, but I need my overaggressive ad blockers

Thanks, I've seen two scale comparisons, the orcs almost look like old GW ogres in comparison to GW foot troops. (including the 'UGE 'EDD) The Ogres I saw look good for character ogres for my cheapskate proxie ogre army, save for the big ears.

Um. Have you been following the news? The rouble tanked this week. Russia is in a lot of economic trouble right now.

While this means that at the moment the exchange rate is almost criminal in terms of how much Russian product one could get for dollars, euros or pounds, it also means that a lot of businesses are in something like free fall and no one knows what's going to happen.

Proceed with caution, I'd say.

• Like 5

Here's an almost review on BoW, but this guy is dead wrong about their scale. They're way bigger than 28mm. That's a GW Ork, with a Technolog Orc and Werewolf. (Not sure what that other guy is, though.)

ETA: Their Castle Craft line, however, is 28mm.

Tehnolog Wolf, GW Orc, GW ogre, Tehnolog Orge

The Werewolf would be the right size for the Reaper Warlord Lupines IIRC and folks do forget gnolls were supposed to be large until WotC got ahold of them.

Um. Have you been following the news? The rouble tanked this week. Russia is in a lot of economic trouble right now.

While this means that at the moment the exchange rate is almost criminal in terms of how much Russian product one could get for dollars, euros or pounds, it also means that a lot of businesses are in something like free fall and no one knows what's going to happen.

Proceed with caution, I'd say.

Damn, I wondered why the ebay sellers from over there were selling in USD.

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-expats-eyeing-the-exits-after-russian-ruble-plunges-2014-12

Shame things have stabilized, would have been worth it to do some reaping of the imbalanced exchange rate.

Here's an almost review on BoW, but this guy is dead wrong about their scale. They're way bigger than 28mm. That's a GW Ork, with a Technolog Orc and Werewolf. (Not sure what that other guy is, though.)

ETA: Their Castle Craft line, however, is 28mm.

he say they are around the 28mm scale mark,

ogrish tall

Edited by Goblyn

Iron Orges are about what one might expect for ogre commanders in so called Heroic lack of scale. They all fit diagonally on a 40mm base but are a tad bigger than say a GW Ogre Bull. 

scaleshot_zpsc699bdd5.jpg

The centaurs are similar, bigger than most other centaurs, but will fit on the typical base. Three of the four will fit on a 2" round bases or even cavalry bases, but the archer will overlap some since his furthest hooves are 56mm edge to edge. So for him an angled rock outcropping might be helpful. The centaurs are swinging weapons closer in size to what an ogre would use, which works for 3.5 D&D's Large weapons but 5' reach for centaurs. But not so much for editions where they use man sized weapons IIRC OD&D, AD&D, Pathfinder & 5E.

EDIT: The bronze tankard is a 'bail' jewelry finding from ebay. "Ancient Bronze/Silver Connectors Bails Charms" to be specific. And yes that pattern is actually engraved on it.

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 2

Thread necromancy:

I just got my first handful of figures from this company.

First thing I've got to say is that Russian miniatures (or at least Tehnolog's figures) are very, VERY eccentric.  I'm alright with this, but for anyone who doesn't already know what they're getting into:

1. They don't (currently) seem to be easily available in the U.S. - I've only been able to buy them from online auction/storefront sites from Russian sellers; the only information I've been able to find has been either in Russian, or in crude translations.
  2. The fantasy sculpts are kind of an exaggerated and cartoony version of "Heroic" - I think they compare favorably with the old 1980s Heroquest miniatures, for the most part, in style.  This might be off-putting to anyone who prefers seriousness and realism in the scale, poses, and style, but if you like those old Heroquest miniatures, you will likely find Tehnolog's figures to be a lot of fun.
  3. The subgenres of sci-fi and fantasy involved are... odd.  It's a weird mish-mash of historical, some sort of fantasy/sci-fi thing from the 1980s (compare with Masters of the Universe meets Heroquest) with a dash of Steampunk, a dab of Mad-Max, and a dollop of Games Workshop fantasy filtered through sculptors who appear to have been complete outsiders to Tolkien's work as illustrated and standardized into western pop-culture through the 1960s-1980s.
  4. The background story seems minimal or non-existent.  (Why are Vikings, Cossacks, Elves, Roman gladiators, Terminator robots, werewolves, and pirates shooting cannon and catapults at each other?  Because Russia, that's why!  Just take a big drink of vodka and go with the crazy, and it'll be alright; repeating until it starts making sense is purely optional.)
  5. There appears to be at least two or three different wargames involved in Tehnolog's products, maybe more - some use dice mechanics, others are comparable to the 1980s Crossbows and Catapults game in more ways than one.
  6. Western miniatures companies seem to want to get into one, maybe two scales, and stay there.  Tehnolog, on the other hand, uses several scales and doesn't feel bound to keep it consistent:
    1. It seems their earlier miniatures were in a 60mm scale (1/32): comparable with some of the larger green-army-men toy soldiers in scale; I've not seen these in person, but these should be pretty big figures.
    2. Most of their newer historic and fantasy miniatures are in a 54mm scale (1/35):  comparable with green-army-men toy soldiers in scale.  Most of the Tehnolog figures without bases you see are in this scale.
      1. Many packages of these figures seem to include spring-loaded cannon and catapults in them; I've not seen these yet, but they should work with figures in a variety of smaller scales.
      2. These figures seem to be part of a Crossbows and Catapults style war game, which presumably involves two or more players firing the spring-loaded weapons at each others' miniatures.
    3. Their sci-fi figures are apparently 40mm or so in scale (1/48?) - I've not seen any of these in person, but they'd probably compare well with some of the smaller green-army-men sets out there (which seem to run about 40mm-45mm), and might fit in among some of the taller western 30-35mm Heroic figures.  The sci-fi figures with vaguely squarish bases with rounded corners are generally in this scale.
      1. I don't know a lot about these, but they might also come with spring-loaded weapons to fire at each other, Crossbows and Catapults style. 
      2. Tehnolog's tanks and battle-mechs appear to be designed in this scale as well?
    4. Most of the larger sets in the Castlecraft line (the ones with grey colored castles) seem to be in 25mm-28mm Heroic scale.  Aside from the round bases, they're almost indistinguishable in scale, size, style, and proportion from the old 1980s Heroquest game; in the years since Heroquest, scale creep seems to have resulted in taller and taller gaming miniatures in the West with many of the more cartoonish rough edges sorted out, so that these guys might look a bit small and exaggerated compared to modern miniatures.
      1. The castles these figures come with seem to be a bit closer to 1/72 (20mm) in scale, and, strictly speaking, are probably noticeably too small for modern fantasy miniatures, but could probably work in 28mm anyway if you aren't too picky about many heroic miniatures looking like they might be in danger of hitting their heads on door frames.
      2. These sets include a (hilariously cheap) six-sided die, and appear to be self-contained dice-based war games (possibly a different game in each set, though it's hard to tell from the Russian instructions).
    5. A few sets of the Castlecraft line (the ones with beige/cream colored castles) seem to be in 1/72 (20mm) scale, though the orcs/goblins that come with these sets would fit in fine with the 28mm Castlecraft guys.  The human figures might pass as skinny Halflings or something.  The human infantry and cavalry figures should be a good match for Caesar Miniatures' fantasy sets; the tiny dragons will also work nicely alongside 1/72 fantasy miniatures, and could also be useful for juvenile dragons in larger scales.
      1. The castles these figures come with would probably work with 10mm or 15mm miniatures, if you're into fantasy gaming at such a tiny scale, and at a stretch they might work as Dwarf or Goblin or Rat-men forts in Caesar's 1/72 (20mm) scale.  They don't match the grey Castlecraft castles and are physically incompatible (the pieces fit together using totally different methods, and the beige castles are a little more crudely styled and designed).  These beige castles are way too small for modern fantasy miniatures, in any case - Reaper Bones Goblins and Halflings threaten to dwarf these structures!
      2. These sets include a (hilariously cheap) six-sided die, and appear to be a dice-based war game.

Overall, they seem like a lot of fun with something for a little bit of every miniature scale you might game in.

The big variety of scales involved would explain why there's some confusion about what scale to expect.

• Like 4

Some photos:

figures_zpsx6gycvyh.png

Figures compared for scale.

From left to right, a Reaper Bones guy, a GW/Milton-Bradley Heroquest guy from the 1980s, a Tehnolog historical figure (referred to on his packaging as a "knight", apparently a Christian knight opposed to a viking horde), an TSR guy from the 1980s, and a Tehnolog fantasy figure (a "shadow warrior", who seemed to be in some sort of conflict involving human warriors and Dwarfs/Gnomes). 

The Reaper Bones guy is noticeably taller than anyone else, and this seems normal for Reaper minis - they seem to be closer to 30mm-32mm in scale.

Interestingly, the mint-green Tehnolog "historical" guy is sculpted in a style and size that wouldn't be out of place among the old HeroQuest 28mm "heroic" fantasy figures like the dark red HeroQuest guy (note the somewhat weird dimensions and chunky features), while the dark blue Tehnolog fantasy figure is somewhat more realistic and restrained in its scale, comparable to the old 1980s 25mm or 28mm scale like the bright red TSR axeman next to him (seems like the historic figures should have been in a realistic scale, and the fantasy figures should have been more "heroic" in proportion).  Still, these figures aren't very far out of scale to each other, and should work just fine together on a gaming table.

The mint-green Tehnolog guy is representative of most of the "Castlecraft" guys that came with the grey castles in size and style, and the packages for them are marked 28mm scale.  The dark-blue Tehnolog guy is from the grey Castlecraft set that includes Dwarves/Gnomes in it - these fantasy figures look slightly smaller than other 28mm figures, but mostly because they aren't as exaggerated as the 28mm "heroic" scale figures, so they're a little more slender, with smaller hands and faces.

gnomis_zpsu3oz2pon.png

Speaking of Dwarves, here's some comparisons of Dwarf figures.

The brown figure on the left is a Tehnolog "Barbarian" figure, in Tehnolog's 28mm (heroic) scale.  To his right are a Reaper Bones Dwarf, a HeroQuest Dwarf, a TSR Dwarf, and a Tehnolog Dwarf/Gnome (the Russians don't seem to differentiate between the two).  The Tehnolog Dwarf is a bit short compared to the Reaper Dwarf (which as usual towers over all the other Dwarfs), but everyone looks taller than the HeroQuest Dwarf, who seems to be a Dwarf's Dwarf.

doorway_zpso2ph5n63.png

A Reaper Bones figure standing behind a grey Tehnolog "Castlecraft" door.  His base makes him look even taller than he really is compared to the door, but even without the base, he'd look like a giant in this castle.  The castle does scale nicely to Reaper Bones Dwarves or Goblins, though.

I'm afraid I put the really short Tehnolog figures and the smaller scale castle kits away in storage a couple weeks ago, and won't be able to show them for comparison - those would be the 20mm 1/72 scale "pirates" and "gladiators", and the beige-colored castle kits they came with.  Those figures looked like gnomes or halflings next to all the other figures, standing just a bit over waste-high to them.

My blurry picture doesn't really do the Tehnolog fantasy figures like the Dwarf/Gnome or the "Shadow Warrior" much justice - they have some nice detail and character to them.

• Like 5