Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

I'd forgotten how truly awful tv sci-fi was in the 70's.  I remember when this came out. I knew it was bad at the time, but watched it every week, regardless. It was what we had. 

I remember thinking it was bad even when I was a little kid with no taste or discernment.

But then our local library had a huge book of collected Buck Rogers strips from its first years (debuted in 1929!) so I could compare.

Erin Grey was delightful and a real trooper, though.

• Like 3

Watched Ralph Breaks The Internet today, and it was a good movie. It is a sequel, so isn't as good as the first, of course.

But that after credits scene. Wow. And it was painful to wait for, with the credits being more than 16 minutes according to IMDB. But well worth it.

• Like 3

Hubby had me watch Deep Rising. Truly a ridiculous movie. Which is why it was so fun :lol:

On 11/23/2018 at 2:06 PM, Pegazus said:

Watched Ralph Breaks The Internet today, and it was a good movie. It is a sequel, so isn't as good as the first, of course.

But that after credits scene. Wow. And it was painful to wait for, with the credits being more than 16 minutes according to IMDB. But well worth it.

Well, at least I know I'll have time to use the bathroom while the credits roll!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/23/2018 at 3:06 PM, Pegazus said:

We just watched this today. It was a decent movie. I wouldn't mind owning it, but won't be rushing out to pay full price.

One scene had me reminded of the Kingdom Death Gambler mini. It actually creeped my wife out a bit, but the kids didn't seem phased.

That end scene was hilarious to my five year old son and mortifying to my eight year old daughter. Well worth the wait.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Terrible movies I watched this past weekend

(trailers are NSFW, movies are NSFBC*) 

Sorceress

Forbidden World

The Warrior and the Sorceress

The only thing these movies had going for them is the costumes. More specifically, how for much of the more attractive members of the cast, they didn't wear one. 

*Not Safe For Brain Cells

• Like 4

Oh, I almost forgot, we watched Christopher Robin this weekend. Winnie-the-Pooh holds a very special place in my heart, so I was reluctant to see it. But they did a very good job with it, especially the characterizations of the dolls/animals. They totally nailed Pooh Bear, he was absolutely perfect. Overall it was a well done movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again, especially with my baby lizard.

• Like 5

Just re-watched "Quatermass and the Pit".

Hugely enjoyable. And, despite some patches of seriously hammy acting, the story really holds up very well.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 8:27 AM, redambrosia said:

Oh, I almost forgot, we watched Christopher Robin this weekend. Winnie-the-Pooh holds a very special place in my heart, so I was reluctant to see it. But they did a very good job with it, especially the characterizations of the dolls/animals. They totally nailed Pooh Bear, he was absolutely perfect. Overall it was a well done movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again, especially with my baby lizard.

You might want to check out 'Goodbye Christopher Robin', a film about the story behind Milne and his inspiration. Coincidentally I drove past Cotchford farm just last week, it's only 30 miles from where I live. The same distance in the other direction is Black Lake Cottage where JM Barrie got his inspiration for much of Peter Pan. less than 10 miles from here is Guildford where Lewis Caroll died and is buried

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Beagle said:

You might want to check out 'Goodbye Christopher Robin', a film about the story behind Milne and his inspiration. Coincidentally I drove past Cotchford farm just last week, it's only 30 miles from where I live. The same distance in the other direction is Black Lake Cottage where JM Barrie got his inspiration for much of Peter Pan. less than 10 miles from here is Guildford where Lewis Caroll died and is buried

Hmm... sounds like we had an incursion from the land of Fairie a century or two ago in that area. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Watched Constantine - City of Demons yesterday.

Thought it was pretty good, but could've done without the sex scene (I always find animated ones really weird and off-putting). 

Also found it pretty amusing the cartoon Constantine can smoke like a chimney, but his live-action version can't.

Should be watching Star Wars - The Last Jedi some time over the weekend, I'll finally find out why it's so controversial. 

• Like 3

On 11/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, Crowley said:

Terrible movies I watched this past weekend

(trailers are NSFW, movies are NSFBC*) 

Sorceress

I think I remember that one. 

On 12/2/2018 at 4:34 PM, paintybeard said:

Just re-watched "Quatermass and the Pit".

Hugely enjoyable. And, despite some patches of seriously hammy acting, the story really holds up very well.

I enjoyed it in the theater, ought to dig it up again next time our game group does movie night.

DH and I watched A Wrinkle in Time last night.  I thought it was slow and largely boring. Most of the characters were very shallowly drawn.  Not sure why the boy friend was even there, he was pretty useless.  He made some comments about the main character's hair that I think were supposed to indicate a relationship building, but it didn't develop. He might as well have been wearing a red shirt.  The father, the reason for the quest and the ultimate goal, has even less presence.  That's a shame, because Chris Pine can do some fine acting and in this film he gets so little dialog. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonight we watched Kurt Russell as Santa in A Christmas Chronicle.  "If there's one thing reindeer can smell, it's fear."

Seriously though, fun family movie.  The jail scene rocks. For real. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Tonight we watched Kurt Russell as Santa in A Christmas Chronicle.  "If there's one thing reindeer can smell, it's fear."

Seriously though, fun family movie.  The jail scene rocks. For real. 

We really enjoyed this movie. Kurt Russel was a hoot and the kids had great performance. 

I finaly broke down and watched The World's Fastest Indian which has been in my list for awhile. It is based on the real life story of New Zealander Burt Munro's attempt to get his 1920's era Indian Motorcycle to the Salt Lake flats to see how it will perform on the track during speed week. It is a great story about the human spirit and Anthony Hopkins turns in a great performance. Definately recommended. 

• Like 3