Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Pittsburgh is in soooo many movies and TV shows, not usually as itself. It's almost as good as Prague or Vancouver for games of "spot the city."

The second season of Stranger Things was shot, in part, in Pittsburgh... There's a building downtown that is, according to Agents of Shield, a HYDRA headquarters.

Whichever Batman it was with Bane is nearly all Pittsburgh, all the time. The football game that collapses was filmed in Heinz Field, and the Gotham Knights team was actually the Steelers. I often follow the route of one of the major chase scenes on my lunch break (incidentally; I like neither Batman nor that specific Batman movie enough to make any pilgrimages for them).

I met Jake Gyllenhaal years ago while he was filming Love and Other Drugs.

Several amusement park-oriented movies have been filmed at Kennywood park...

• Like 6

So, for Christmas my kid and I went out to try and see Wreck it Ralph 2, but it was sold out.

So, we tried to see Grinch, and that was sold out too.

We just squeaked into seeing Spiderman, and wow - that was a lot of fun.  A great spiderman/superhero tale that gets to play with what being a spiderman means, that really wouldn't have worked half as well in live-action, although at times the animation was subtle enough that it felt live action-y.  Also, Aunt May was kick-broccoli.  Really, if you have any interest in Spiderman or superhero stuff, you'ld be doing yourself a disservice to not see this.  If Black Panther hadn't shown up at the start of 2018, then this would have been the best superhero film of the year.

26 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Several amusement park-oriented movies have been filmed at Kennywood park...

I still miss Kennywood.  That's such a kick-broccoli little amusement park, and the fact that you could go there on the bus just made it even better.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, John Fiala said:

I still miss Kennywood.  That's such a kick-broccoli little amusement park, and the fact that you could go there on the bus just made it even better.  

Yeah, Kennywood is pretty great. But it's gotten expensive lately, so that's sad. Still, I'm hoping to host an old friend next spring, and he has a five-year-old daughter. Seems like a trip to Kennywood will be in order!

I'm hoping to go see Spiderverse tonight or this weekend. Looking forward to it very much.

• Like 3

I watched Occupation on Netflix. 

Now I am a big fan of alien invasion movies but this movie is absolutely awful!  One of the worst movies I have ever seen!  Its not even a fun bad movie, it is an extremely bad frustrating movie. 

The acting is horrid.  The story and editing make no sense at all. Character development is nonexistent except for off screen and is only done through references from the characters to scenarios that aren't shown in the movie.  I can look past the sub par special effects but this movie is bad. 

All of that isn't even the worst part of the movie.  I love a good musical score and I think it can really make a movie (its one reason I am such a big fan of Tarantino movies because the music selection is always perfect).  The musical score in this movie is terrible.  There is music playing the ENTIRE movie!  I mean nearly every second has music playing.  No suspense is built through the use of silence.  Music plays over dialogue (probably because the writing is horrendous) and doesn't even convey what is happening in the movie. 

Bad bad bad bad movie!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/3/2019 at 5:34 PM, Sanael said:

Whichever Batman it was with Bane is nearly all Pittsburgh, all the time. The football game that collapses was filmed in Heinz Field, and the Gotham Knights team was actually the Steelers. I often follow the route of one of the major chase scenes on my lunch break (incidentally; I like neither Batman nor that specific Batman movie enough to make any pilgrimages for them).

The director of World War Z wanted to film in Pittsburgh, but the production of that Batman film beat them to it. They ended up in Glasgow, which was awesome as they Americanized a little chunk of the city. As long as they weren't filming you could just wander through and take photos. We even got lucky and saw Brad Pitt, which was a bonus- that fella is even prettier in real life than he looks like on screen. My best bud is convinced that he's a half-elf ::D:

Back on to the topic of stuff I've watched, I recently (finally) saw the horror move House. It was very different from what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it. For some reason, I didn't realise that it was a horror comedy ::o:  

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Watched "Venom" over the weekend.  It was amusing enough in a "sound and fury signifying nothing" sort of way, but if your ability to suspend disbelief won't shut off during a movie?  Yeah, this is one you want to avoid!

• Like 2

Saw Aquaman a few days ago.  It was a lot of fun, but very tropish.  On the other hand, a batch of reviewers have pointed out how many standard tropes were swapped in it so that the good guys have the evil tropes and vice-versa and yet the good guys are clearly good and the evil are just plain evil.

• Like 5

On 1/3/2019 at 12:07 PM, Pingo said:

I get that a lot for any show set in Chicago. “Wait. Where is this chase scene going?”

I had a German friend who could not take the Conan the Barbarian movie seriously because she recognized Arnold Schwarzenegger’s regional accent too precisely.

Then there is the TV show Due South - which played with that.

Filmed in Canada, whenever they needed to show the Canadian Embassy in the US they filmed in front of the US Embassy in Canada.

When they needed a scene with the US Embassy in Canada, they filmed in front of the Canadian Embassy in the US.... ::P:

Due South played a lot of very silly tricks.

The Auld Grump - yes, I liked Due South.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Then there is the TV show Due South - which played with that.

Filmed in Canada, whenever they needed to show the Canadian Embassy in the US they filmed in front of the US Embassy in Canada.

When they needed a scene with the US Embassy in Canada, they filmed in front of the Canadian Embassy in the US.... ::P:

Due South played a lot of very silly tricks.

The Auld Grump - yes, I liked Due South.

Oh, I loved that show! The mounty guy was a great character. 

I found out earlier that the Russo brothers are saying Avengers 4 is going to be three hours long! I don't know if I'll be able to sit through the whole thing. Aquaman pushed me to my limit. 

They better put in an intermission.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, I loved that show! The mounty guy was a great character. 

Paladin/Ranger, with an advanced animal companion in place of the mount. (And, if I remember properly, the wolf would go out and do heroic deeds on its own....)

And a very good example for the Lawful Good alignment.

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I found out earlier that the Russo brothers are saying Avengers 4 is going to be three hours long! I don't know if I'll be able to sit through the whole thing. Aquaman pushed me to my limit. 

They better put in an intermission.

That's... a long movie....

The Auld Grump

• Like 5

Suddenly I have an urge to dig out my Due South DVDs....

The Auld Grump - Megan's already seen it, so I can't use that as an excuse....

• Like 3

Watched Solo last night and we enjoyed it. I'm not very excited about the main movies, episodes VII and VIII, but liked Rogue One and Solo.

• Like 5

I finally have definitive proof I have terrible taste in movies. I watched, and enjoyed, Sherlock Gnomes this afternoon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I saw Glass last night, I wish I'd had a chance to re-watch Unbreakable beforehand but it stands alone fairly well. I thought it was pretty good, I mean it's not like the Sixth Sense twist ending we know Mr. Shyamalan for but I did like it and find it super interesting- it's pretty long (2h10) and held my interest the entire time, which is hard for a film over 90 minutes lately in those uncomfortable seats! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed Glass. A small part of me wanted it to turn into some Marvel-style slugfest, but I knew that wasn't going to happen and was happy that it didn't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1