Jump to content

Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Recommended Posts

Finally got to see "Captain Marvel" this weekend.  I got a bit choked up at the Stan Lee tribute during the opening.  I also liked the shout out at the end of the credits for the Thunderbird pilot who took Brie Larson under his wing for training flights, and passed away before the movie released.  Wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed the movie. 

 

New battle cry for "Avengers: Endgame" = "RELEASE THE FLERKEN!"  ::D:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shazam! was... a whole lot of fun.

 

Duncan is right - it really was what Man of Steel should have been.

 

Bright colors, a hero that isn't a total schmendrick, a villain that is villanous, and an open heart that was lacking in Man of Steel.

 

Yeah, it is a 70s comic book style plot, but they made it work.

 

I give it 4/5 stars, when I was expecting to avoid the film like the plague. As it is... I liked it more than Captain Marvel - and I really liked Captain Marvel.

 

Dear WB/DC... don't let whoever created that trailer do so ever, ever again. From the trailer, it looked like 1.5/5.

 

The Auld Grump - not as good as Spiderverse, but Spiderverse was another film where my hopes were greatly exceeded.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 2:34 AM, Crowley said:

Just watched Kung Fu Hustle... it was... entertaining. 

 

Kung Fu Hustle is an awesome film, if you liked that then check out Shaolin Soccer from the same director/lead actor. 

 

The weather was terrible, so I managed to watch a few films over the weekend-

 

A Quiet Place- not my first time watching this, but it's just as good on repeat viewings. 

 

Extinction- found this on Netflix, it's about a man that has premonition about an upcoming alien invasion. Really enjoyable, well done sci-fi.

 

Shazam- I must be in the minority here, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would

 

Good points

 

The kids were great

Mark Strong was awesome as usual

Had a decent amount of humour

 

Negatives

 

Way too long

The tone of the film was all over the place

Shazam is supposed to have the 'Wisdom of Solomon', really didn't see much of that in evidence :ph34r:

 

That said it was still miles better than Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman or Justice League ::P:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumblebee. I thought it was really good.

 

EDIT: Also watched:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. Was too long and I didn't like it as much as Bumblebee.

Edited by Brother Jim
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Movie Sunday became Movie Tuesday and I watched When Marnie Was There.

 

Firstly, I didn't realise Ghibli was still making movies, and secondly, while I prefer their more fantastical offerings, I thought it was a pretty good film.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Movie Sunday became Movie Tuesday and I watched When Marnie Was There.

 

Firstly, I didn't realise Ghibli was still making movies, and secondly, while I prefer their more fantastical offerings, I thought it was a pretty good film.

 

I'm really fond of that film.  Apparently it's based on an English YA novel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

 

Kung Fu Hustle is an awesome film, if you liked that then check out Shaolin Soccer from the same director/lead actor. 

 

The weather was terrible, so I managed to watch a few films over the weekend-

 

A Quiet Place- not my first time watching this, but it's just as good on repeat viewings. 

 

Extinction- found this on Netflix, it's about a man that has premonition about an upcoming alien invasion. Really enjoyable, well done sci-fi.

 

Shazam- I must be in the minority here, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would

  Hide contents

Good points

 

The kids were great

Mark Strong was awesome as usual

Had a decent amount of humour

 

Negatives

 

Way too long

The tone of the film was all over the place

Shazam is supposed to have the 'Wisdom of Solomon', really didn't see much of that in evidence :ph34r:

 

That said it was still miles better than Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman or Justice League ::P:

Shaolin Soccer I've seen, and loved it! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, redambrosia said:

I got my tickets for Endgame. Monday the 29th. 

 

I have a Plan: I will drink nothing for a few hours before the movie, hold off on drinking anything at the beginning, then, while the animated credits are going, I'll work my way down the stairs, watch the mid-credits scene, waddle quickly to the restroom when the main credits roll, and hopefully make it back in time for the end credits scene. 

 

I refuse to take bathroom breaks during the movie! I will persevere! :grr:

With a baby on the way... whether you can make it all the way through? Well, it all Depends. :;,;:

 

Tonight is Jumanji.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, John Fiala said:

 

I'm really fond of that film.  Apparently it's based on an English YA novel.

 

Yeah they mentioned something about that in the credits.

 

Don't know if it would be worth checking out though, apparently Ghibli adaptations have a habit of massively deviating from the source material.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

 

Yeah they mentioned something about that in the credits.

 

Don't know if it would be worth checking out though, apparently Ghibli adaptations have a habit of massively deviating from the source material.

I haven't seen or read When Marnie was Here, but I did read the book Howl's Moving Castle after seeing the film. While they were quite different, my enjoyment of either wasn't marred. I still like the movie better though :lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

 

Yeah they mentioned something about that in the credits.

 

Don't know if it would be worth checking out though, apparently Ghibli adaptations have a habit of massively deviating from the source material.

You can also say the same thing about Disney (and Hollywood in general) at varying degrees. But I do agree that Ghibli can make them feel like completely new enjoyable stories.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mandy. A Nicholas Cage movie that left me simultaneously feeling like I wasted the 2 hours and 54

                  seconds it took to watch it and that I enjoyed it, but not enough to ever watch it again.

 

The Darkest Minds. I liked it, but the story was obviously set-up with sequels in mind that I don't think will

                                       ever get made.

 

Doom. Unlike the movies above, this was a third or fourth rewatch. Made me want to play some

                board/mini games similar to the premise, like the Aliens board game or Sedition Wars.

Edited by Brother Jim
Weird format change between typing and posting.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rewatched Thor Ragnarok last night, and will rewatch Infinity War tonight in anticipation of watching Endgame on Friday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son's favorite movies are the LotR trilogy and as he's 18 he's never seen them in the theater. Our local Alamo is playing a marathon of all 3 extended versions next month and I bought us tickets. 750 minutes - 12 1/2 hours - of movies. Can't say I've ever done anything like this in my life, or would normally even consider it. I must love this kid. :poke:

 

I wisely bought seats on the end of the aisle so I can get up and go walk down the hall whenever I need to. At 47, the ol' bladder isn't what it used to be! :lol:

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chrome said:

My son's favorite movies are the LotR trilogy and as he's 18 he's never seen them in the theater. Our local Alamo is playing a marathon of all 3 extended versions next month and I bought us tickets. 750 minutes - 12 1/2 hours - of movies. Can't say I've ever done anything like this in my life, or would normally even consider it. I must love this kid. :poke:

 

I wisely bought seats on the end of the aisle so I can get up and go walk down the hall whenever I need to. At 47, the ol' bladder isn't what it used to be! :lol:

 

Is that in one sitting? ::o: You might want to invest in adult diapers and a portable intravenous set up.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×