Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

But the unicorn wasn't!?

Mostly I'm just hoping the glitter was all/mostly CGI... :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is, but...well...

Fun fact: CGI glitter is even harder to clean than the regular stuff. Nobody's quite sure how.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

No Avengers for me, sold out all day long. We will try in two or so weeks, or once it hits dvd

i guess I will just get spoilers, nothing I can do about it

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

We caught Avengers yesterday, while marooned in Houston.  The regular showing was full, but the 3d one had maybe 6 other people in it besides us. 

It was ok, I guess.  I found it entertaining, but it didn't leave me feeling pumped up for the next movie or excited to see it again.   We will have to see it again though, missed the credits because we had to catch our flight home. 

17 minutes ago, Inarah said:

We caught Avengers yesterday, while marooned in Houston.  The regular showing was full, but the 3d one had maybe 6 other people in it besides us. 

It was ok, I guess.  I found it entertaining, but it didn't leave me feeling pumped up for the next movie or excited to see it again.   We will have to see it again though, missed the credits because we had to catch our flight home. 

i doubt it's going to rank as a favorite, but i really want to see how they wrap up story lines and conclude it. Going forward i doubt i'll really care what Marvel does (i despise Captain Marvel and if she becomes a main character in the movies going forwards, then no thanks, though i'll still watch Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Ant man movies, i like the humor in those. Always a good fun)

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

What's wrong with Captain Marvel? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

What's wrong with Captain Marvel? 

her character irritates me. I dislike super powerful characters with no flaws, no weaknesses, and are constantly told by their fellow characters how amazing they are. There are so many things about that movie that bother me, plothole or writing or just dumb. I dunno, the movie felt very forced, very feminist, and over all just bad 

so many people act like 'finally a strong female superhero' and i just laugh. We HAD strong female super heroes, who didn't have to be invincible in order to win battles and be flawless in order to succeed

not to mention her actress is extremely annoying, and that influences my opinion on a movie she's in

Spoiler

one of my biggest issues was how nonsensical she was. She thought she was an alien, yet she acts like a human in the modern times. Why didn't she act like the alien she thought she was? Her actress is wooden and emotionless, and yet her character is constantly told she's too emotional. She can single handedly destroy an entire squad of trained soldiers, can destroy an entire fleet by herself, has no weaknesses, has no flaws, is told by other characters in the movie just how perfect, smart, funny, and beautiful she is becuase we the audience need to know just how amazing she is and they couldn't find a way to have her naturally be that way, so we have to be told it

there are just so many plot holes, coincidences, and bad writing in the movie

they retroactively forced things, like making HER the reason the Avengers were made, yet Nick Fury didn't know about aliens until Thor...yet supposedly he knew about aliens 40 years prior. Just..forgot i guess?

In Iron Man, SHIELD wasn't called SHIELD. They came up with the name IN that movie. ANd yet...40 years ago, they called themselves SHIELD. O...kay? Just went back to the super long name and had to re-create the nickname i suppose

it's writing like that that feels forced and bothersome to me. At least know the universe you're writing a movie for...but no, pushing feminist propoganda was more important than actual character development and a real story lol

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

^Thaaaaaaaaaaaaank you.

In other news, I've been watching a ton of stuff I've seen before, as usual, and it's been too much to keep up and bore y'all with, but I did watch Choke for the first time, finally.

07388338-BBF1-4C2D-99FB-0BAD935B6ECE.thumb.jpeg.8d058a70a0739b8d375625466faf2434.jpeg

I'd forgotten how profoundly ridiculous the book was (though I'll never forget how poorly it was written). Movie was okay.

In an odd connection to media folks around here actually give a crap about, this was directed by the SHIELD agent dude that died in the movies but was still on the TV show or whatever. Ta-da!

• Like 1

Watched Spider-man:- Into the Spider-verse.

For once I agree, it is probably the best Spider-man movie so far.

• Like 7

Saw Endgame over the weekend and loved it.  I was one of the guys fist pumping and whopping it up at points, and the wife had to hand me some kleenex at others.  Would love to see it again, but I'll probably have to wait till it comes out on disc for that.  I think it's a fitting conclusion to a ten year story arc, and as someone who read comics back in the 80-80's I thought it a great fit for the source material.

If you're bugged by logical inconsistencies, and have no ability to suspend disbelief during a comic book movie - just stay home.  For those of you who think Captain Marvel is just a PC/Feminist icon, shoved into the movies to please the PC crowd, you'll be happy she's only in the first and last ten minutes.  For everyone  else - enjoy the ride!  :)

• Like 7

Started to talk about this last night and didn't, but here we are now, so. Here's a pet-peeve thread crossover event for the ages, the largest that's ever happened and dare I say the G.O.A.T.: I am so weary of any criticism of these movies--or any "nerd culture" movie these days, really; I actually experience this a lot more with Star Wars than Marvel--being met with a response somewhere (a) on the Fan Purity axis or (b) on the Social Justice Commitment axis.

Bruh. Nah. Let me tell you.

(a) Particularly around places like this, I mean, you know--consider where you are. You're on a website dedicated to painting little metal men to push around the table while playing complicated games of make-believe where bearded dwarf-ladies and talking bird-people team up to steal glowing dragon underpants from the castle of a mad baron who is actually three goblins standing on each other's shoulders and using a glamor placed on them by an evil dragon mage to fool the townspeople. When folks talk about the logical failings of a movie like this, they're probably not having trouble suspending disbelief so much as talking about its inability to keep track of and logically expand on and explore what came before it in-universe. Bad writing is a problem for some folks!

I started reading comics three decades ago. Grew up on fantasy and D&D. I even convinced my mom to rent that godawful Captain America movie from 1990 or whenever on VHS from the Jitney Jungle grocery's video section in the backwoods of Tennessee all them years ago. And I loved it. I was sold at an early age. It's not a matter of not being a fan of the genre of not watching the right way; it's simply honest criticism of the moviemakers' process. 

I have, personally, a lot of questions and reservations about how they're being made, how they're marketed, how we take them in. It bothers me most how soulless they've become--they're horribly formulaic and without meaningful story to tell or statement to make beyond pushing the next product. Consume current product, hype the next, never stop to think. I'unno. I find it discouraging that no one ever acknowledges, frex, that Iron Man, Ant Man, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther are the same movie with a different skin slapped on: If you liked Iron Man you'll love Poor-ex-con Shrinking Iron Man and Afrofuturist Iron Man! It's more reminiscent of a collection game than the making of entertaining art, sometimes. More Pokémon's Gotta Catch 'Em All! than vibrant, urgent storytelling. It'll be interesting to see how this gambit holds up in whatever phase we're hitting now, as they try to power that machine with C-list characters.

(b) I really can't even begin to express the duality of hilarity and frustration fomented in me by people's shouting some variation of "You just can't handle strong women!" at a fan base raised on Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, and Princess Leia, who've wholeheartedly embraced Black Widow, Wonder Woman, Alita, Katniss, etc., etc., etc., in recent years. It's not strong women, and it's not even feminism and all that; it's simply the execution. It's when it's AstroTurfed, when it's forced and inorganic, that people are put off it. Kind of a show-vs.-tell thing, if I were to try to break it to a core component. Ripley didn't have a PR department announcing her a hero and icon; she showed us who and what she was by total competence and badassery. Sarah Connor turned herself into a warrior and raised mankind's savior. Princess Leia choked a freakin' Hutt to death. And we loved them for it all.

Anyway, it's totally fine to disagree with takes like this, obviously, and I think it's wonderful to discuss the points--seriously, right now, I'm enjoying this, it's fun--but these nonstarter arguments that dismiss technical criticism as evidence of personal failings have got to go.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Indeed. Gamora and NEbula from Guardians of the Galaxy are two female characters i can point out who have character development, emotional development, flaws, and are still very strong females who no one would call weak. They're good fighters, they're smart, they are skilled.

there can be strong female characters that are natural and flow well with the story and don't feel forced, but Captain Marvel and Rey from STar Wars are not those. Those are the characters that have to be perfect, can't have flaws, can't face any serious challenges. They need to easily conquer anything put into their path, instantly master the skills they need to survive a situation, etc. 

And it bothers me, becuase it's bad story telling, and bad writing, and unrelatable characters i can't bring myself to care about because there's nothing there TO care about. Captain Marvel's entire character development was 'men have been putting me down all my life, and i have persevered despite them', told over a series of flashbacks that last maybe a few minutes. ANd tha'ts it, that's her character. Or at least all the character they want to show us

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Indeed. Gamora and NEbula from Guardians of the Galaxy are two female characters i can point out who have character development, emotional development, flaws, and are still very strong females who no one would call weak. They're good fighters, they're smart, they are skilled.

there can be strong female characters that are natural and flow well with the story and don't feel forced, but Captain Marvel and Rey from STar Wars are not those. Those are the characters that have to be perfect, can't have flaws, can't face any serious challenges. They need to easily conquer anything put into their path, instantly master the skills they need to survive a situation, etc. 

And it bothers me, becuase it's bad story telling, and bad writing, and unrelatable characters i can't bring myself to care about because there's nothing there TO care about. Captain Marvel's entire character development was 'men have been putting me down all my life, and i have persevered despite them', told over a series of flashbacks that last maybe a few minutes. ANd tha'ts it, that's her character. Or at least all the character they want to show us

Do you have the same issue with Superman?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Yes. I find him incredibly boring. Where's the tension in his movies, when you know he cannot be hurt? If a character easily conquers all challenges set before them, then there isn't really any reason to be worried about them in the movie. I never once felt like Captain Marvel was in trouble, and thus didn't care one wit on what she was doing or what 'peril' she was in, because i knew she'd just easily punch her way out of it without any trouble, all while delivering snarky one liners

But superman is just as bad to me. He is faster and stronger than everyone else, he has eye lasers and can fly, weapons cannot penetrate his skin. i mean what's the real challenge? Sure, there is Kryptonite, but his character itself is very bland to me.

I like some emotional depth to my characters, and I just don't get that from Superman or Captain Marvel

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I think nearly everyone has that issue with Superman, including the writers. Maybe especially the writers. It's not new, either. It's been a well-understood problem for decades.

• Like 6