Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

20 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I think nearly everyone has that issue with Superman, including the writers. Maybe especially the writers. It's not new, either. It's been a well-understood problem for decades.

the problem i'm seeing now-adays is that if you have that problem with a female character, suddenly you're a sexist. :unsure: If you dont' like Captain Marvel, it's because she's a strong female and that threatens you (even if you're a female too like me). There shouldn't be such name calling by the media / actors / actresses because the movie has bad writing and a terrible plot, but no, if we don't like the movie it's because we can't stand a female super hero, not because the movie itself was bad and screws with the Marvel universe in negative ways

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Do you have the same issue with Superman?

I've always liked Ms Marvel more than Kal-El.  I bought her comic when no one else did (this presumably being why it kept getting cancelled). In fact, the only movie I wanted when they announced the MCU was Ms Marvel.  Ms Marvel is, indeed, the only superhero of any type I've given enough of a crap about to buy their monthly book.  I'd hoped they might have found some sort of acceptable middle ground between Camel-Toe Swimsuit Girl For Teen Hormones and Invincible Super-Excellent Rando Deus Ex Brie.  

I was wrong, and now I will never see a proper big screen Carol Danvers.  But it's okay, I've been wrong before about what wonders movie-makers can do.

jarjar.jpg.db0cb79e0520f3390b58db2b7ba01028.jpg    

Meesa now being only secondly mosta disappoint, okey-dey with meesa!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Finally got Endgame in!

I was pretty impressed by it.  I could have done without two gratuitous "girl power" moments, but those were only minor complaints especially considering the number of "old friends" that we were able to catch up with.  The wife got weepy during a couple parts.  It wasn't quite a "cast of thousands" but it sure felt like it was close.

I got a little confused near the end, though.  I had to do some internet searching to find out who the lone figure (teenage boy) was.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, strawhat said:

I got a little confused near the end, though.  I had to do some internet searching to find out who the lone figure (teenage boy) was.

Yeah, I had to do the same thing!  They're scrolling along and you're going there's those guys... and they included those folks... oh look it's so & so... wait!  Who the heck was THAT?!

Once you find out who it was, you can see why they included him, and it has some interesting implications going forwards.

• Like 4

The wife wanted to watch "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas" yesterday. My oldest said he had to study it in school last year. The basic story is 

Spoiler

Family of the commandant move to beside Auschwitz. 8 year old son is totally ignorant as to what's going on. While exploring his back yard he makes contact with a boy in the camp. They become friends of a sort. The mother learns what is going on at the camp and wants to return to Berlin. The son wants to help his friend find his father in the camp so runs off digs a hole under the electrified wire and dresses up as an inmate. The two boys wander around the camp until they are accidentally herded into the gas chambers and end.

This movie bothered me and not because of the subject matter. I can suspend my disbelief in a fantasy or scifi movie but this was touted as a powerful historical drama. It's main plot points were so far out that I couldn't get into the "mood" of it. I read the wikipedia about it and it said the author wrote it over a couple days. I prefer my history to stick closer to facts or a least plausibility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, Mckenna35 said:

Yeah, I had to do the same thing!  They're scrolling along and you're going there's those guys... and they included those folks... oh look it's so & so... wait!  Who the heck was THAT?!

Once you find out who it was, you can see why they included him, and it has some interesting implications going forwards.

I looked it up but I found it obvious from the context.

Saw Endgame again for Mother's Day. It's not as good the second time around because you see more of the "family trip itinerary" nature of the plot pacing, but the scenes where they argue about Cap's broccoli and where Cap gets back up dramatically and sees who he has left on his side are definitely worth the time spent rewatching the rest.

• Like 4

I have only seen iron man 2 and 3 once, years ago. Any side characters in them are definitely not obvious to me, I had long forgotten who any of them were. Especially once so many years had passed so the kid looked nothing like he used to

• Like 2

Anybody seen the trailer for Yesterday? Looks very interesting. Musician down on his luck gets hit on his bike during a blackout, and then wakes up in a world where the Beatles never happened. 

• Like 2

I've seen that preview, looks like a good Date Movie. 

Next on our list is Tolkien.  I had to study him in college with a prof who was way too into "meaning" and "intent" and over-analysis.  I'm interested in how the film portrays the man. 

• Like 2

Watched John Wick 3 yesterday, and it was almost non stop expertly executed action the whole time.  If you are an action fan like me you will like it.  I didn't like it as much as 1 (my favorite movie of all time), since the motivation isn't as clean.  The continued world building was cool, and as a bonus we know John's real name now.  Halle Berry was great in her scenes and the dogs stole every scene they were in.

• Like 7

Watched Cold Pursuit the other day. Kind of an odd, absurd sorta thriller. Not Liam Nieson's normal kill fest for sure. Really enjoyed it.

• Like 3

We saw Tolkien the other night. I thought it was a very nice film about the writer's early years and motivating influences. It went briefly into the dark period during the war, but overall was a positive celebration of the writer.  

• Like 4

I just saw Sonnenallee, a 1999 German comedy set before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

On a tiny, incredibly bleak and shabby street right up against the Berlin Wall, a high school boy falls in love, dreams of being a Western style rock musician, and deals with the secret police, constant surveillance, smugglers, death and the betrayal of friends.

A laff riot, you might say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I finally watched John Carter. Not nearly as bad as the hype that surrounded it when it came out....now I need to dig the books out and re-read the series. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, KruleBear said:

I finally watched John Carter. Not nearly as bad as the hype that surrounded it when it came out....now I need to dig the books out and re-read the series. 

Yeah, the media was really unkind to that one. I thought it was a decent movie. 

We've got the newest Aladdin in our crosshairs this week. 

• Like 5