Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

There's going to be a 4th one?

Yup.  Studio confirmed it after it's opening weekend beat both previous installments.  And they did leave it wide open for another one...  Scheduled for 2021, the same day as the supposed Akira live-action movie.  Both make me happy...  

Edited by Rahz
  • Like 2

pakWOj1.png

Aquameh.

Not terrible but not very good. Really bad dialogue. Way too long--by at least 45 minutes. Absolutely no superhero movie ever has needed to be over two hours long.

Hard to watch in a way because I couldn't stop thinking about the lead actress's history of domestic abuse against her partners. I hope she's recast for future installments.

Amazon's streaming quality was absolutely terrible, so I was robbed of the pretty pictures, which I'm guessing would've been the most enjoyable part of this movie.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:52 PM, Kuroneko said:

If you get a chance, I'd recommend watching Ant Man and the Wasp. It's not essential, but it does explain why Scott Lang acts like he does in the film.

At worst, you've spent a couple of hours watching a nice little caper movie.

Oh, and this isn't a spoiler but don't hang around after the extended actor credits at the end of the movie. No bonus scene in this one, I'm afraid ::o:

There is a weird noise over the Marvel logo right at the end, but it's certainly not worth waiting through the credits for, though.

Hide contents

It's kind of like a weird clanging noise. I have no idea what it was supposed to signify

That is from the first movie, Iron Man. It is Tony Stark forging his armor.

It gave me a bittersweet tear. ::(:

I have NO idea how Marvel Studios can top this. So many movies, so many years. Epic.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: I'm a total Godzilla fangirl- I used to watch all the old movies with my Dad when I was little so I've seen good, bad and terrifyingly awful 'Zilla films. 

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was, thankfully, way better than it's predecessor. The humans were alright, but the big gribblies looked utterly stunning and had way more screen time. I never thought I'd see a version of King Ghidorah that looked as good as that on the big screen :wub:

It probably won't convert people that don't like monster films, but if you like that sort of film you really owe it to yourself to see it in the cinema.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Must. Own. ALL. The. Marvel.

all the old ones, i have little interest in marvel universe going forwards other than Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange movies

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Disclaimer: I'm a total Godzilla fangirl- I used to watch all the old movies with my Dad when I was little so I've seen good, bad and terrifyingly awful 'Zilla films. 

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was, thankfully, way better than it's predecessor. The humans were alright, but the big gribblies looked utterly stunning and had way more screen time. I never thought I'd see a version of King Ghidorah that looked as good as that on the big screen :wub:

It probably won't convert people that don't like monster films, but if you like that sort of film you really owe it to yourself to see it in the cinema.

Personally, I really liked the previous Godzilla movie. But more monsters? Yes, please!

• Like 5

Godzilla looks like fun. Not expecting much from it, but willing to be pleasantly surprised. 

Secret Life of Pets up next.  We were gifted tickets.  I'm expecting it to be much like the first one. A bit fun, a bit silly. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Must. Own. ALL. The. Marvel.

Including Howard the Duck on Betamax?

Just sayin'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Including Howard the Duck on Betamax?

Just sayin'.

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

You KNOW he will be getting a reboot!

And a machine gun.

Well he was in Endgame.......

• Like 2

Felt like watching a stupid comedy, so we watched Night School, one of Kevin Hart's things. I don't really care for him, but I do like Tiffany Haddish. 

It was pretty cute. Not super funny, but cute. It was fun to see Kevin Hart get his butt kicked by Tiffany Haddish.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 1:34 AM, Marvin said:

pakWOj1.png

Aquameh.

Not terrible but not very good. Really bad dialogue. Way too long--by at least 45 minutes. Absolutely no superhero movie ever has needed to be over two hours long.

Hard to watch in a way because I couldn't stop thinking about the lead actress's history of domestic abuse against her partners. I hope she's recast for future installments.

Amazon's streaming quality was absolutely terrible, so I was robbed of the pretty pictures, which I'm guessing would've been the most enjoyable part of this movie.

No... I am going to go with 'Terrible' for this one - hydrodynamics is a thing, and needs to be represented in any movie where substantial portions take place under water.

I swear to the gods - the folks responsible for this move have never gone SCUBA diving, heck... I am not sure they have ever gone swimming. Or maybe even taken a bath....

A tiny amount of research on what happens when lava meets water would have been nice.

Some tactics above 'CHARGE! in the final battle - seriously, it takes work to have worse tactics than Starship Troopers - but they managed it.

I liked the character - but... maybe a 2 out of five stars, if I am feeling generous. 1.5 if I am being honest.

It was colorful, but... yeah, not good.

The Auld Grump - my dad was a naval engineer... it is possible that this affected my outlook.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:13 PM, haldir said:

Well he was in Endgame.......

They horribly misused him - he should have been at the crossroads with the machinegun....

I have a feeling that a lot of people won't get that joke... Very much not a Marvel reference. ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

Secret Life of Pets 2 was pretty good. Had the audience laughing from the start.  Good storytelling, nothing new, but well made.  Solid family movie. Good soundtrack, too. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 1:34 AM, Marvin said:

Aquameh

30 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

No... I am going to go with 'Terrible' for this one - hydrodynamics is a thing, and needs to be represented in any movie where substantial portions take place under water.

Yes, hydrodynamics is a thing - until you find yourself in a world where there is a city of Atlantis inhabited by people who have evolved to breathe and thrive underwater with advanced technology... and has an island filled with a bunch of warrior women who don't age... science as you know it goes out the window in this case.

Going to disagree with you both. I quite enjoyed the movie, and would argue that of all the current DCEU movies released, it's at the top (note I have not seen Shazam yet). Yes, Wonder Woman was good, very good for a DC movie, but it's last 15 minutes and ending is lackluster; like stock market crash lackluster.

Aquaman however, is consistent; has its high points, has some low ones, but overall, stays at a solid level of entertainment. Momoa brings a different take on Aquaman, and I find that refreshing.

• Like 6