Jump to content

Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

 

 

Yes, hydrodynamics is a thing - until you find yourself in a world where there is a city of Atlantis inhabited by people who have evolved to breathe and thrive underwater with advanced technology... and has an island filled with a bunch of warrior women who don't age... science as you know it goes out the window in this case.

 

Going to disagree with you both. I quite enjoyed the movie, and would argue that of all the current DCEU movies released, it's at the top (note I have not seen Shazam yet). Yes, Wonder Woman was good, very good for a DC movie, but it's last 15 minutes and ending is lackluster; like stock market crash lackluster.

 

Aquaman however, is consistent; has its high points, has some low ones, but overall, stays at a solid level of entertainment. Momoa brings a different take on Aquaman, and I find that refreshing.

Aquaman is consistent alright. Able to stink, even on ice!

 

A second viewing only made it worse.

 

Wonder Woman beats it, up, down, and sideways. Agreed that the last 15 minutes lacked luster - but that last 15 minutes was still shinier than the best scenes in That Guy What Talks To Fish Man. (Which is unkind to the Super Friends - which, because of the magic of rose colored nostalgia glasses, I consider superior to this movie. I just find that nickname amusing.)

 

It was better than all the DCEU movies other than Wonder Woman - but that is just saying that 1.5 is higher than 1.2....

 

Sorry, bad physics remains bad physics, even when coupled with bad biology.

 

That said - I liked the character. Momoa did do an excellent job in the role - but was let down by bad... everything else. He is the only reason I consider 2.0 as a score for the film at all.

 

Somebody needs to talk to whomever is in charge of CG effects at Warner, and explain that good effects can make a world of difference.

 

Hell, just watch pretty much any Marvel movie.... ::P:

 

Plus, the last I heard... the DCEU concept is now officially gone - they are splitting the properties into at least two separate lines, with Batman getting a full reboot.

 

The Auld Grump - dealing with a cranky two year old right now.... She does not want to go to sleep.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_2371.thumb.JPG.88ef3228594304c31ab1b97d233ee95a.JPG

 

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Her costume looks like something from the combined closets of Madonna and David Bowie. It looks more like a costume than armor, which they did a really good job of in the first movie (armor, rather than lingerie).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally watched  Zombieland. It wasn’t quite what I had expected. Without Woody Harrelson’s character it would have been extremely forgettable. He brought the right level of crazy/sympathetic/tough guy to make the movie fun. 

 

Now I need to paint up his figure for Zombicide.....

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just happy to see some DC characters finally getting an attempt at making them closer to the comics. {Superfriends was garbage BTWIMHO]. I just want to see Hawkman finally brought out as the close combat fighter as in the comics.

And just for fun,when playing Heroclix a team of Hawkman, Wolverine, Guy Gardner, Lobo and Ghost Rider will really cause your opponents to go "Oh, crap..."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

 

 

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Her costume looks like something from the combined closets of Madonna and David Bowie. It looks more like a costume than armor, which they did a really good job of in the first movie (armor, rather than lingerie).

 

It's not helped by the eye-searing background. And I'm not sure she's wearing it at all, her head looks pasted on.  That leads me to believe there's going to be some baaad stunt double action scenes. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Her costume looks like something from the combined closets of Madonna and David Bowie.

 

In fairness, it IS set in the '80s... she's apparently trying really hard to blend in?

 

I'm more worried about Kristen Wiig being cast. Not a huge fan (Bridesmaids had it's moments, but her SNL was not my cup of tea).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

IMG_2371.thumb.JPG.88ef3228594304c31ab1b97d233ee95a.JPG

 

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Her costume looks like something from the combined closets of Madonna and David Bowie. It looks more like a costume than armor, which they did a really good job of in the first movie (armor, rather than lingerie).

Holy 1970s, Batman!

 

Paint it on velvet, and get a black light!

 

Personally, I would wait for the reviews before seeing it - but I know that won't be an option. ::P:

 

***

 

We saw This Is Spinal Tap last night, but we didn't turn the volume up to 11.

 

I had almost forgotten how mind-numbingly mind-numbed the band members were! (And now I know why Jon's orc war drummer is named Mick.)

 

The Auld Grump - and all that was left was a small green globule....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

IMG_2371.thumb.JPG.88ef3228594304c31ab1b97d233ee95a.JPG

 

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Her costume looks like something from the combined closets of Madonna and David Bowie. It looks more like a costume than armor, which they did a really good job of in the first movie (armor, rather than lingerie).

... she looks like mera, except color corrected from green to red.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Aquaman is consistent alright. Able to stink, even on ice!

 

A second viewing only made it worse.

 

Wonder Woman beats it, up, down, and sideways. Agreed that the last 15 minutes lacked luster - but that last 15 minutes was still shinier than the best scenes in That Guy What Talks To Fish Man. (Which is unkind to the Super Friends - which, because of the magic of rose colored nostalgia glasses, I consider superior to this movie. I just find that nickname amusing.)

 

It was better than all the DCEU movies other than Wonder Woman - but that is just saying that 1.5 is higher than 1.2....

 

...

 

 

I can't speak to Aquaman. I haven't seen it and probably won't except by accident.

 

But I'd put Wonder Woman down around the 2 mark, for cliched bigotry, and only rising that high because Gadot really did do a decent job of acting. That movie angered me in (apparently) much the same way that Aquaman angered you.

 

As I've said recently, though, I'm finding most superhero movies to be irritating rather than enjoyable. (Though I just recently restarted watching Legends of Tomorrow, and it's being surprisingly not terrible.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

IMG_2371.thumb.JPG.88ef3228594304c31ab1b97d233ee95a.JPG

 

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Her costume looks like something from the combined closets of Madonna and David Bowie. It looks more like a costume than armor, which they did a really good job of in the first movie (armor, rather than lingerie).

It does look like a costume, doesn't it?  She's a cloak or cape away from looking like she escaped from Flash Gordon (1980), which I'm not certain is a good look for a superhero.  (Although that movie did have good costuming...)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been watching a rather odd movie called Dave Made A Maze.

Basically, this unemployed dude gets bored while his girlfriend is away for the weekend and builds a cardboard box fort in their living room, which turns into this huge paper-craft dungeon  with booby traps and origami wildlife.

It honestly wasn't much of a film, but the set design and stuff was rather good.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Been watching a rather odd movie called Dave Made A Maze.

Basically, this unemployed dude gets bored while his girlfriend is away for the weekend and builds a cardboard box fort in their living room, which turns into this huge paper-craft dungeon  with booby traps and origami wildlife.

It honestly wasn't much of a film, but the set design and stuff was rather good.

 

Sounds like someone really wanted an excuse to show off their leet maze building skills :lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 6:19 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Been hanging around your daughter, have you? :lol: (Remembering her description for Of Mice and Men. ::P: )

 

The family sense of humor is no coincidence.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 10:53 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

 

I can't speak to Aquaman. I haven't seen it and probably won't except by accident.

 

But I'd put Wonder Woman down around the 2 mark, for cliched bigotry, and only rising that high because Gadot really did do a decent job of acting. That movie angered me in (apparently) much the same way that Aquaman angered you.

 

As I've said recently, though, I'm finding most superhero movies to be irritating rather than enjoyable. (Though I just recently restarted watching Legends of Tomorrow, and it's being surprisingly not terrible.)

 

Legends of Tomorrow kind of shocked me. It never took itself very seriously, and there’s plenty of goofiness there, and cringeworthy stuff too, but damn has it had some mighty strong and moving moments. 

 

And someone on the crew really enjoys historical costuming.

 

How far along are you? There’s stuff I’d love to talk about but y’know, spoilers.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pingo said:

 

Legends of Tomorrow kind of shocked me. It never took itself very seriously, and there’s plenty of goofiness there, and cringeworthy stuff too, but damn has it had some mighty strong and moving moments. 

 

And someone on the crew really enjoys historical costuming.

 

How far along are you? There’s stuff I’d love to talk about but y’know, spoilers.

 

Second season, about midway through.

 

I can only binge-watch a single show for so long before I have to switch to something else. Right now, that's Criminal Minds, but I can feel that I'm getting close to another switch, because the tics of the writers, directors, and actors are becoming more obtrusive and irritating with each episode. After watching something else for a while, I can go back again without the same visceral reactions.

 

Hmmm, maybe back to Dexter next? (Speaking of viscera. :rolleyes:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×