Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

After a severe fight with my son refusing to go see the movie, we dragged him into the theatre and he had a blast. Said it was one of his favorites. It's almost as if we wouldn't take him to a movie he wasn't likely to enjoy. :rolleyes:

A fun movie, that does have two very important post-credit scenes that really shake things up in a way I wasn't expecting. Good action, fun characters, interesting turns of events. Altogether, a pretty great Spider-Man movie. Still doesn't top Into the Spider-verse, but that's a high bar, TBH. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2019 at 9:04 AM, Disciple of Sakura said:

A fun movie, that does have two very important post-credit scenes that really shake things up in a way I wasn't expecting. Good action, fun characters, interesting turns of events. Altogether, a pretty great Spider-Man movie. Still doesn't top Into the Spider-verse, but that's a high bar, TBH. 

^^this

• Like 2

Hubby and I enjoyed our date night watching John Wick. It was ridiculous and fun and I look forward to the next installment. I had one moment of extreme anxiety, where I thought I would have to leave the theater, but then it was okay. 

The doggies live, and they're my new favorite characters!

• Like 4

We went to see the Spiderman film and I mostly enjoyed it. It was just daft enjoyable fluff to be honest.

Unfortunately there was a trailer for the CGI Lion King beforehand. I've been trying to avoid anything about it after seeing the first teaser a few months ago. I'm not against the Disney remakes but CGI animals always look fake to me and it just looked like a bunch of cut scenes from a weird computer game. 

Regarding Spiderman

Can we maybe not have anymore villans whose motivation is "Tony Stark/Stark Industries did me dirty, I will now become a super villain!". There's at least 5 at last count ::P:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I've just re-watched "Downfall" for the first time since it was released.

Still deeply impressed by Bruno Ganz's acting.

But my main reaction? This film was shot in 2004, mainly a German effort, but with considerable Russian input, lots of Russian extras and largely filmed in St. Petersburg. I wonder if a film on this subject would get so much co-operation today?

• Like 3

Watched Shazam today. Very enjoyable, good story, good acting, a lot less stupid than the trailers made it look.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Caught up with all of the MCU movies I've missed, and am now up to speed.

Ant Man and the Wasp - Mehish 6/10

Black Panther - Stylish but run of the mill 6/10

Thor Ragnarok - Funny, quirky but not very MCU - 7/10

Spiderman Homecoming - Loved it 9/10

Captain Marvel - Main actress had no charisma, joyless - 3/10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I loved Shazam!, but I'm a huge Captain Marvel geek. I had some issues with it, but I think it's about the best CM movie we are going to get. I really wish they hadn't gone with the New 52 storyline, but oh well. DC seems to be learning from past mistakes, and I really hope they get their stuff together because I have a deep love for a lot of their IP.

@Beagle I find your review of those movies pretty much spot on. I liked Captain Carol a bit more than you did, but it was pretty standard. Nothing great about it in my opinion (except Goose Kitty). One thing that really ticked me off about it I won't go into because spoilers.  I enjoyed Homecoming quite a bit, but I'm a sucker for Spidey because he's so enmeshed with my childhood and a lot of great memories. 

I tried to watch the new Hellboy this weekend since a buddy of mine has digital copy. I didn't finish it. It had bits and bobs of a good movie in there, but like The Hobbit movies any little bit of good was just buried in a mountain of crap. My opinions, yours may vary. I know that I'm spoiled by the first two Hellboy movies. Even the second one with all it's flaws was a pretty solid movie. This one was just a lot of fragments of stories from Hellboy comics thrown into a blender and then vomited out on the screen. 

I watched Season 2 of One Punch Man. I enjoyed it. Kind of interesting that they are giving Saitama some depth, and Genos had some really interesting character development. I plan on starting Rising of the Shield Hero this week. From what I've read it smacks of The Fionavar Tapestry or Guardians of the Flame. Might be interesting. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Loim said:

I watched Season 2 of One Punch Man. I enjoyed it. Kind of interesting that they are giving Saitama some depth, and Genos had some really interesting character development. 

Season 2 is out?  Sweeeet!  Hopefully it is out in Canada too.  

• Like 1

Watched Skyscraper and Batman: Hush over the weekend.

Both were entertaining nonsense, but Hush was a little disappointing in how the plot kinda fell apart (it didn't help that I'm pretty sure Hush's identity was changed at the last minute).

• Like 4

I'm sorry to hear that Hush is a trainwreck, since the comics of same name is probably one of my top 5 Batman stories. 

1 hour ago, Loim said:

I'm sorry to hear that Hush is a trainwreck, since the comics of same name is probably one of my top 5 Batman stories. 

It's certainly not unwatchable, but after looking the story arc up on wikipedia they mangled it pretty badly for some reason.

Basically, 

Spoiler

it's mostly the same story, but Thomas Elliott isn't Hush it's just The Riddler trying to prove he's not a loser.

Except that makes no sense and it's very obvious that Thomas Elliott was Hush for the majority of film (and I say this as someone who'd never heard of the character before).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Saw Stubber last weekend, it was better than it had ANY right to be. I think I might actually like Batista more than the rock in terms of wrestlers trying to act.

• Like 2

@aku-chan unfortunately it's a trend with the recent Batman animated movies. They messed up Killing Joke and Gotham by Gaslight pretty badly too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loim said:

@aku-chan unfortunately it's a trend with the recent Batman animated movies. They messed up Killing Joke and Gotham by Gaslight pretty badly too. 

Yeah I agree with you on those, I wish they'd do more original stuff and less adaptations.

• Like 1