Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

I watched the new Godzilla this weekend. It is as advertised. There were no real surprises, and if you like big stompy monsters you will probably enjoy it. If you don't like big stompy monsters you probably will not enjoy it. I do not like Vera Farmiga, so that was a mark against it. 

I also watched The Boys. They deviated quite a bit from the comics, while maintaining the grim tone of them. I'm not sure if I like or dislike the changes. An entertaining watch and an interesting look at Superheroes who are all too human. 

I watched Alita: Battle Angel. It was a fun watch. Most of the main cast turn in good performances. I found the kid who played Hugo to be a bit wooden

I picked up a few more of the Jesse Stone movies on Vudu for cheap. Not the best made for TV movies that have ever been, but it's Selleck doing what he does best. 

On the anime front I tried watching Canon Busters on Netflix, and lost interest about 3 episodes in. I doubt I'll go back and watch the rest. It feels to me like it's trying way too hard to be Trigun, and not quite hitting the mark. Your experience may vary. I enjoyed The Rising of the Shield Hero quite a bit. It's fairly short, and plays up the VR/Video Game vibe a lot, but it was fun. I'm just started Bungo Stray Dogs. It has some potential. 

• Like 6

I saw Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark last week. Pretty good PG-13 horror movie. Some tnse and/or creepy moments, a lot of build-up to get to the point of the movie, some weird political commentary going on in it (it's set during the Vietnam War for reasons I'm not entirely clear on). It's a relatively decent movie if you like scary movies.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Funny coincidence, I watched that yesterday too. Better than I expected, as you say the director did try to get the main points of the book across. Rather a shame that Hollywood wasn't brave enough to depict Hester as badly disfigured as she is in the book. (But still a moral person.)

A television series of the whole quartet would be splendid, if given the right budget. The main characters do grow and change a lot. Serious actors would be required to do it justice.

Yeah, I shouldn't have been surprised by them toning down Hesters scars, but I kind of was.

I wasn't expecting them to go the whole hog, but I thought they'd leave it at a, let's say, Blofeld in You Only Live Twice level.

• Like 4

Watched Endgame on Sunday.  My wife didnt see it in the theater.  Awesome movie even on home screen.

Some of the earlier scenes with people you know won't make it at the end, have so much more meaning & power now.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 8/20/2019 at 3:40 AM, haldir said:

Watched Endgame on Sunday.  My wife didnt see it in the theater.  Awesome movie even on home screen.

Some of the earlier scenes with people you know won't make it at the end, have so much more meaning & power now.

What? It's comic books. Nobody is ever really dead. :;):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Slowly catching up with the Marvel films by watching Captain Marvel.

A bit slow and overlong (but that's been an issue I've had with these films for a while), but otherwise pretty good so I'm not sure why this is such a contentious entry in the series.

Still two behind, but I don't think there's any more due out this year, so I might actually manage to get up to date. 

• Like 4

I went to see IT:Chapter 2 and really enjoyed it, apart from a couple of strobe light scenes that almost gave me a migraine :unsure:

It wasn't quite as good as the first one, but the the cast was excellent (Bill Hader especially)

The cameo from Steven King was particularly good, especially the running joke about Bill never being able being able to write a decent ending to his books ::D:

• Like 3

Had a low budget Sci-fi night, watched Annihilation which was okay but a bit too artsy and clever for my tastes (I would've preferred more weird animals and less dance battles), and Upgrade which I really liked, even if I guessed most of the plot very early on.

• Like 4

Watched Jupiter Ascending. An enjoyable movie with decent effects. Surprisingly my not geek wife enjoyed it as well. I seem to enjoy Mila Kunis’ acting in everything except tThat 70’s Show..... that Jackie character was way too annoying for me.

i also watched the Netflix movie Extinction. Not a bad movie, although it did seem like a  Twilight  Zone  episode ran too long. I think about ten minutes cut out of it would have tightened the suspense up significantly. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I went to see IT:Chapter 2 and really enjoyed it, apart from a couple of strobe light scenes that almost gave me a migraine :unsure:

It wasn't quite as good as the first one, but the the cast was excellent (Bill Hader especially)

Hide contents

The cameo from Steven King was particularly good, especially the running joke about Bill never being able being able to write a decent ending to his books ::D:

I saw IT: Chapter 2 on Monday with my buddy. It was very long, though it didn't entirely feel like it. Well done, really great use of the kids from the first one and some solid stuff in it. I enjoyed it, but it definitely was less of a horror movie than the first one was. I'll still probably be buying it to go alongside my copy of Chapter 1, though I admit I'm less likely to watch it as often.

4 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Had a low budget Sci-fi night, watched Annihilation which was okay but a bit too artsy and clever for my tastes (I would've preferred more weird animals and less dance battles), and Upgrade which I really liked, even if I guessed most of the plot very early on.

Annihilation was a bit of a let down, but I've actually read the Southern Reach trilogy for which that was the first volume. It was drastically different in ways I wasn't satisfied with. I think I'd have liked it more if I hadn't read the books. (Though, TBH, I'm not 100% sure I ever finished the third book...)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I saw IT: Chapter 2 on Monday with my buddy. It was very long, though it didn't entirely feel like it. Well done, really great use of the kids from the first one and some solid stuff in it. I enjoyed it, but it definitely was less of a horror movie than the first one was. I'll still probably be buying it to go alongside my copy of Chapter 1, though I admit I'm less likely to watch it as often.

The Director has stated that he is intending to do a 6 hour 'supercut' of the two films, adding in unused footage and possibly shooting some new scenes as well. I'd certainly be interested, it's not often a King adaptation gets this amount of love ^_^

I rewatched the old tv adaptation recently and Tim Curry is still awesome. The rest of it has aged quite badly though ::(:

8 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

The Director has stated that he is intending to do a 6 hour 'supercut' of the two films, adding in unused footage and possibly shooting some new scenes as well. I'd certainly be interested, it's not often a King adaptation gets this amount of love ^_^

I rewatched the old tv adaptation recently and Tim Curry is still awesome. The rest of it has aged quite badly though ::(:

I'll be honest - I've never seen the TV adaptation. I was a much more impressionable kiddo back then, and didn't enjoy scary movies as I do now. I feel like I should check it out, but I don't hear much positive about it outside of Curry's performance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'll be honest - I've never seen the TV adaptation. I was a much more impressionable kiddo back then, and didn't enjoy scary movies as I do now. I feel like I should check it out, but I don't hear much positive about it outside of Curry's performance.

To be honest, it's worth watching solely for Tim Curry.

The kids half is actually quite good (Jonathan Brandis was excellent as Bill), but the adult section has aged particularly badly.

Then again, it's still better than the vast majority of Steve King adaptations. 

On a related note, I managed to convince my housemate to go see Doctor Sleep with me in a couple of weeks. She's never seen or read The Shining, so I have no idea what she's going to make of a film about Ewan McGregor fighting psychic vampires  :blink:

Edited by Kuroneko