Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Hubby and I watched Escape Room yesterday. Pretty fun movie, but predictable. Hubby gave it 3.5 stars. 

Tonight I watched all of Ladyhawke for the first time. Very good movie. Sephy loves the music.

• Like 10

We watched The Void on Friday, it was a decent creature horror movie.  I am not a fan of horror in general, but I think anyone who likes Lovecraft inspired horror with real creature effects and no CGI, will enjoy this indie movie financed partially from Indigogo.

And it was blessedly lacking dumb jump scares....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby and I watched Escape Room yesterday. Pretty fun movie, but predictable. Hubby gave it 3.5 stars. 

Tonight I watched all of Ladyhawke for the first time. Very good movie. Sephy loves the music.

I found Escape Room pretty solid. The worst part was showing the opening scene making it much more obvious how things were going to go than it might otherwise have been, but it was solidly tense in several places. I am very curious if they'll actually go insane and try to pull off the sequel they teased or not.

The wife and I rented Rocket Man about a week ago. We'd wanted to see it in theatres but couldn't make it work out. It was really very well done, and Taron Egerton is a really solid performer who bears a pretty solid resemblance to a thinner, taller Elton John. 

• Like 3

My wife & I seen It 2 in probably our favorite theater in Bend, OR while on vacation last month. Funny, after RCon was ruled out for me, I planned the trip for us around this movie's release date. We seen the first one in the same theater 2 years ago. Good flick, & wraps up the two movies. Nice but not overpowering modern changes to the story as well. We both enjoyed it.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2019 at 9:21 AM, Dr.Bedlam said:

I've watched the first couple episodes of the new Dark Crystal series on Netflix.

I am still pondering my opinion about the quality of the series. Story is still unfolding, although it's better than I'd thought it was going to be; I usually find prequels to be a foregone conclusion, since I know how the story ends from seeing the original. Still, they're doing a great job; the visuals are RICH, rich, rich! Although seeing the series sort of spoils some of the plot points of the original movie, if you haven't seen it yet. And seeing the original movie spoils the miniseries. Hence my problem with prequels.

But I'd recommend that any fantasy artists.... even a Sunday painter like myself... watch it, simply for the design, the use of color, the RICHNESS of all the visuals.

I've finished it, and thank fraggle it's over.  Not a bad start, way to long in the middle, and finally ends.  I hope they don't do another season. They are out of story. 

But yes, beautiful to look at, even the creepy parts.  

• Like 2

MV5-BMm-U4-Ym-Q2-NTkt-MDUz-NC00-Nm-E1-LW

Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound & Fury. An "anime visual album" for Simpson's new record. Post-apocalyptic samurai &c. This was almost freakin' incredible but lost its own thread and kind of plateaued at pretty good. Scattered but fun.

• Like 5

My wife and I did a double feature yesterday. We were planning on hitting Joker and Ad Astra, but the Joker screening was overfull already, so we wound up doing The Lion King and then Joker. Both were very good movies overall. The visuals of the former were extremely impressive, even if it was basically just the same as the original in narrative. It looked gorgeous. The latter... well, that was one dark movie, that's for sure.

• Like 3

Okay, I'll admit it. I kind of want to see The Color Out of Space, the one with Nicholas Cage. Drinking may be involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just finished watching the new Hellboy. It was pretty fun. Lots of good jokes. Whatshisface made a decent hellboy, But Ron Pearlman was better.

• Like 4

By pure coincidence while browsing the TV schedule, I found that Dr. Strangelove (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) was on. I only ever saw small clips from the war room or the missile riding cowboy, and I never had any real idea what the movie was all about.

Now I know, and it deserves to be ranked among movie classics. I liked the blend of tense seriousness and moments of pure laugh out loud unexpected silliness.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Just finished watching the new Hellboy. It was pretty fun. Lots of good jokes. Whatshisface made a decent hellboy, But Ron Pearlman was better.

I just couldn't warm up to the new Hellboy movie, I think I simply like the older ones too much.

Watched Shazam! over the weekend, it was pretty good (DC finally seem to be getting the hang of this movie making lark).

But man, does John Glover have a terrible track record at this point, that's four super-villains he's had a hand in creating now.

• Like 5

On 11/4/2019 at 5:15 AM, aku-chan said:

I just couldn't warm up to the new Hellboy movie, I think I simply like the older ones too much.

Watched Shazam! over the weekend, it was pretty good (DC finally seem to be getting the hang of this movie making lark).

But man, does John Glover have a terrible track record at this point, that's four super-villains he's had a hand in creating now.

Aside from the villain in Shazam and Lex Luthor, which other super-villains has he made?

Edited by Disciple of Sakura

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:
On 11/4/2019 at 10:15 AM, aku-chan said:

Aside from the villain in Shazam and Lex Luthor, which other super-villains has he made?

Bane and Poison Ivy in Batman and Robin.

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Bane and Poison Ivy in Batman and Robin.

Ah, I forgot he was in that. Wow, he loves him some DC properties.

He's also tangentially responsible for the New York Gremlin outbreak, though that's really very tangential.

• Like 1

My wife and I went to the theatre yesterday and saw both Jojo Rabbit and Terminator: Dark Fate. Both were very enjoyable - Dark Fate was the best Terminator 3 yet. Jojo Rabbit was an excellent movie. My wife teared up at a certain moment, and it was terrifically handled and well acted. I wish Taika Waititi had managed to get half the balance of serious and comedy in Ragnarok as he pulled off in Jojo Rabbit. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1