Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

I just watched I, Frankenstein.

Much like Snowpiercer, it should have been preceded by the warning "A SyFy Original Film." Then I wouldn't have wasted my time.

• Like 1

Snowpiercer was not good? I thought I remembered hearing great things.

In other news, I watched Annie with the family today. I was pushing for Milo and Otis, but the wife vetoed it based on me helping pick so many recently that my daughter wanted to watch Star Wars again.

My daughter watched all of each of The Lord of the Rings and the first Hobbit movies at the age of three and was not drowsy at all. On the other hand, she was sleeping well before the end of Annie. Maybe Legend will show her a better side of Tim Curry...

• Like 2

Snowpiercer was not good? I thought I remembered hearing great things.

I heard the same.  Since I will be streaming it on Netflix, at least I won't be out the money, or transportation, if midway through I decide it's garbage.

• Like 1

Ahh, Snowpiercer.

It's very good for what it is.

What it is, is flatly ridiculous. Physics, human nature, common sense and biology are all turned and twisted to serve the plot, in ways the world really doesn't support. It's a wild ride of continuity errors and script rewrites. If you're willing to set all that aside, it's loads of fun to watch. If any of that will bother you outside the context of MST3K, it will be simply terrible.

It also has the unfortunate status of not being campy. Iron Sky has all the same problems, but it's presented in a campy way, so it's totally ok. Snowpiercer thinks it's a real movie, and that's the real tragedy.

• Like 1

I just watched I, Frankenstein.

Much like Snowpiercer, it should have been preceded by the warning "A SyFy Original Film." Then I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Hey now, I enjoyed I, Frankenstein!

*snerk* *choke* :lol:

Okay, okay, it was a silly movie, but it wasn't terrible. At least the gargoyles looked neat.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ahh, Snowpiercer.

It's very good for what it is.

What it is, is flatly ridiculous. Physics, human nature, common sense and biology are all turned and twisted to serve the plot, in ways the world really doesn't support. It's a wild ride of continuity errors and script rewrites. If you're willing to set all that aside, it's loads of fun to watch. If any of that will bother you outside the context of MST3K, it will be simply terrible.

It also has the unfortunate status of not being campy. Iron Sky has all the same problems, but it's presented in a campy way, so it's totally ok. Snowpiercer thinks it's a real movie, and that's the real tragedy.

Nail->Head.

Now I need to watch Iron Sky. I love campy movies.

• Like 1

I saw Interstellar on the 27th.  Visually it was everything I had hoped it would be.  The plot was really engrossing, right up until the "dramatic climax" part, where the intelligence of the film felt like it dropped way, way down.  It was really, really good, but I don't think I'll still be watching it in 30 years, which is a shame, because for the first 90% of the movie it really felt poised to supplant Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey in terms of cerebral sci-fi.

Watched Studio Ghibli's "The Wind Rises," too.  It's about Jiro, a fighter plane designer in japan before the outbreak of WWII.  As a historical film, I suppose it was pretty good.  I read a bit of Japanese literature, and a lot of it discusses japan in the late 20th century, or even during WWII, but this is one of the first times I've seen anything about the country before the war.  Miyazaki's pacifist inclinations don't really show here, though.  While the main character's internal conflict over the machines he designs being used as tools for war is mentioned frequently throughout the film, the moral dialogue never really seems to go anywhere.

Now I need to watch Iron Sky. I love campy movies.

Just finished Iron Sky: Director's Cut...funniest movie I've seen this year.

• Like 1

I watched Frozen and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 yesterday. Both for the first time.

I enjoyed them both although Frozen could have lost a couple of songs, but was a bit disappointed in the Spidey movie. Seemed to rely a bit too much on the special effects in the overly long, and what I felt were repetitive, action sequences.

• Like 1

After watching Frozen, you now need to watch "how it should have ended" for Frozen. It is so much awesome

I'm guessing that's a YouTube thing?

Unforgiven was watched today (as I mentioned in the western thread). Tomorrow might need to be another western. Maybe Tombstone. We shall see.

Unforgiven was watched today (as I mentioned in the western thread). Tomorrow might need to be another western. Maybe Tombstone. We shall see.

Might I recommend The Jack Bull?