Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Recommended Posts

Last night we watched the French movie The Extraordinary Adventures of  Adèle Blanc-Sec with English subtext.  We thought it was awesome.  I kinda doubt you can get it in the US, hubby bought it from Britain, and we saw it on a European player also bought in Britain from Amazon UK.  

Edited by Citrine
Grammar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We watched a couple of Scandinavian fantasy movies last night. Nothing new, Troll Hunter and Thale.

 

The trolls are, well, mythic style, and can SMELL Christianity. And some are REALLY big. The most enjoyable of the two movies. Might be good for a game.::):

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Thor Ragnarok yesterday. ::D:

 

So much 80s music goodness in it!

 

I found Thor to be too snarky and modern speaking compared to his comic book counterpart. I like my Thors with exaggerated "Ye-Olde-English", and more "warrior-speak" (i.e. Hulk is not "a friend from work", but "mine brother-in-arms").

 

At the same time, I like this version of Loki being not wholly evil.

 

Kind of disappointed there wasn't more Cate Blanchett/Hela in the overall story.

 

Now I can finally look online all of the Easter eggs I missed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "friend from work" was a line created by a Make-a-Wish kid visiting the set. Wasn't originally there, but it gave them giggles and made the kid happy so they added it :poke:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2017 at 11:53 AM, Cyradis said:

The "friend from work" was a line created by a Make-a-Wish kid visiting the set. Wasn't originally there, but it gave them giggles and made the kid happy so they added it :poke:

In that case, it's an AWESOME line!

 

Or rather, it RagnaROCKS! (cue Immigrant Song)

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight we watched the Point Break remake, and it was a total snooze fest.  How you can make a movie about extreme sports and crime boring beats me, but they accomplished it somehow.  The locations they filmed in were gorgeous, that was about the only thing I enjoyed in the movie.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom and I saw Murder on the Orient Express on Saturday. We quite enjoyed it. We agreed that David Suchet will always be our Poirot, but Kenneth Branagh was pretty good. I enjoyed the filming style too, it reminded me the odd angles that old films used.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2017 at 7:02 AM, Citrine said:

Last night we watched the French movie The Extraordinary Adventures of  Adèle Blanc-Sec with English subtext.  We thought it was awesome.  I kinda doubt you can get it in the US, hubby bought it from Britain, and we saw it on a European player also bought in Britain from Amazon UK.  

 

I picked up a copy of this somewhere - probably ebay - but I've had a copy for a couple of years.  I've got some of the translated comics it's based on, but hey - a cross between The Mummy and Lara Croft was right up my wife's alley, interest-wise.

 

In other news, took my daughter to see Coco over the weekend, and really enjoyed it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I saw both Thor and Justice League this past weekend and enjoyed them both. There were things in both that annoyed me, but both were fun, as movies about people running around in tights and punching things should be. 

 

I wonder sometimes if critics and fans decide something that isn't great or exactly what they want, then it is terrible. More than once durring JL the crowd in the theater cheered and clapped, and they applauded at the end. Most were families with kids. 

 

Of course everyone is entitled love,  like, dislike or hate anything they want to. I went in with an open mind and was not disappointed. YMMV.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched "Where the Heart Is" last night on cable.  It's an old (2000) Natalie Portman drama, she stars as a young pregnant woman abandoned by her boyfriend in small-town Oklahoma.  She struggles with no money or friends, gives birth and learns to overcome various crises and other difficulties to reach a satisfying end.  

 

It's a bit over the top in places as one catastrophe after another happens, but it also has humor, a few very good dramatic scenes, and a love interest.  If you're into family oriented female drama it's not bad. 

 

Hoping to see Justice League once the crowds thin out. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Inarah said:

I watched "Where the Heart Is" last night on cable.  It's an old (2000) Natalie Portman drama, she stars as a young pregnant woman abandoned by her boyfriend in small-town Oklahoma.  She struggles with no money or friends, gives birth and learns to overcome various crises and other difficulties to reach a satisfying end.  

 

It's a bit over the top in places as one catastrophe after another happens, but it also has humor, a few very good dramatic scenes, and a love interest.  If you're into family oriented female drama it's not bad. 

 

Hoping to see Justice League once the crowds thin out. 

 

 

That's a nice film. Been a while since I saw it, but it was good. It helps that Natalie Portman is pretty awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Kong; Skull Island the other day on cable.  I enjoyed the movie while I watching it. John C. Reilly was brilliant.  It's always fun to watch Samuel L. Jackson chew some scenery.

 

However, now that I'm writing about it, and thinking back on the movie, I realize that there were things that didn't really work, and some characters that were really flat.  So if you just want a decent action film that doesn't require much thought (and actually is more enjoyable if you don't think too much), then go for it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard that the new Pixar movie Coco is extremely good - among their best. I might see it with a friend during winter break, but more likely will wait until it is on DVD. Still, for the folks here with munchkins, it might be a good candidate for you ::):

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...