Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Watched Justice League and was surprised to actually enjoy it for the most part.  Can't decide if this shows some improvement on DC's part or just that my expectations were so low that they had to get something right. 

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/17/2018 at 3:11 AM, redambrosia said:

Dredd is actually one of my favorite comic book movies ever. For one thing, it has Karl "Cupid" Urban, who I've been in love with since I was a teenager. He's fantastic. And the style is so perfectly comic book-ish without being cheesy and annoying. 

He had had the perfect frown for Dredd. So frowny.

Agreed 100%.

But, here - have some Judge Minty.

(Well made fan film. Deserves some circulation.)

The Auld Grump

Saw a film called Jenifer a few days ago... Directed by Dario Argento and starring Steven Weber (of Wings fame), who also wrote the screenplay based on a story by some guy I can't remember...

It... wasn't interesting. :wacko:

I dunno, it seemed like Argento phoned it in, or pulled a Da Vinci and slapped his name on some student's work. I was almost shockingly disappointed.

It's about a cop who rescues a seemingly smoking hot blonde girl from a guy trying to kill her. It's then revealed, however, that her face is horribly disfigured and she's seemingly half-feral, possibly even highly mentally-challenged. Rather than leave her in the hellhole of the state mental hospital, he takes her in for the night. Unfortunately, the girl is some kind of demonic seductress who quickly begins to destroy his life.

The "horror", such as it was, was completely cliche, and it was really more of a shock and gore film. Which was also incredibly cliche, and poorly done - the standard "OMG, she killed Fluffy!"  scene had about fourteen feet of garden hose-sized entrails that supposedly came out of the foot-and-a-half-long cat.  :wacko::zombie:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

Watched Justice League and was surprised to actually enjoy it for the most part.  Can't decide if this shows some improvement on DC's part or just that my expectations were so low that they had to get something right. 

That part.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So they're making a Teen Titans movie, and I just saw the trailer.

Seems to be a generalized extension of the DC Cinematic universe so far, as written and directed by Darky McDarkdark, in which heroes kill people with gleeful abandon. Except Superman, who does it with great regret. Or indifference to the point of obliviousness, one of the two.

For some reason, the phrase DC CINEMATIC UNIVERSE 40,000: IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE DCCU, THERE IS ONLY GRIMDARK went floating through my mind. I'm guessing SOMEONE in there quit reading comics around 1992, and just can't let it go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I thought this was supposed to be a series that was going on their streaming service.

Or I could be confusing this with something else.........or just confused in general.  ::D:

41 minutes ago, Brother Jim said:

I thought this was supposed to be a series that was going on their streaming service.

Or I could be confusing this with something else.........or just confused in general.  ::D:

Perhaps you are right and I am wrong. After watching the trailer, instead of looking for more information, I basically just thought, "Nope," and kept on going.

The only Teen Titans movie I was aware of is to be animated, and is the same format as what is currently airing on Cartoon Network.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Clearman said:

The only Teen Titans movie I was aware of is to be animated, and is the same format as what is currently airing on Cartoon Network.

Given a choice between a Snyder style Darkly McDarkerson Teen Titans and a Cartoon Network style Teen Titans, my suggestion is... save the last bullet for yourself, just like in Call of Cthulhu.

The Auld Grump *EDIT* Even their animated movies have been bad, lately - after being so good for so long....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I stand corrected; the new Titans show, live action, is going to be streaming on this new DC Universe thingy; it is a TV series. And it still looks like something Zack Snyder would do after drinking too much tequila and playing WH40K all night long. IN THE WORLD OF DARKGRIM GRIMDARK, THERE IS ONLY DIMGRARK!

"F%$# Batman," said Robin.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just got back from Equalizer 2.  Not as tight and focused as 1st but still enjoyable.  Of course you are halfway there for me just having Denzel Washington in the movie.

• Like 1

We watched Arrival tonight, another alien movie. It was... boring. Their attempts at building tension were just annoying and tedious.

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We watched Arrival tonight, another alien movie. It was... boring. Their attempts at building tension were just annoying and tedious.

That was kind of my reaction when I saw it in the theater.  I recently rewatched it on a movie channel and it worked for me this time. Which is both odd and strangely appropriate to the movie.   It’s like going in knowing the climax improved it for me somehow or let me watch it as a mood piece rather than for story. 

Or maybe the difference between seeing it at movies with popcorn vs at home with an adult beverage was the difference. Who knows. 

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I stand corrected; the new Titans show, live action, is going to be streaming on this new DC Universe thingy; it is a TV series. And it still looks like something Zack Snyder would do after drinking too much tequila and playing WH40K all night long. IN THE WORLD OF DARKGRIM GRIMDARK, THERE IS ONLY DIMGRARK!

"F%$# Batman," said Robin.

And 'shart' said the fans....

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump