Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

That was kind of my reaction when I saw it in the theater.  I recently rewatched it on a movie channel and it worked for me this time. Which is both odd and strangely appropriate to the movie.   It’s like going in knowing the climax improved it for me somehow or let me watch it as a mood piece rather than for story. 

Or maybe the difference between seeing it at movies with popcorn vs at home with an adult beverage was the difference. Who knows. 

I'd be inclined to think that the filming style made more sense. As soon as I figured out their big plot device I started enjoying it a bit more. Before figuring it out the flashbacks were just annoying.

Well, after two out of three movies watched recently being less entertaining than anticipated, we decided to watch something dumb. And we went BIG with the dumb. 

Killer Klowns from Outer Space :lol:

It was dumb and fun :winkthumbs:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Watched Justice League today.

Put me in the camp who were surprised to discover it wasn't that bad, I think it helped that the runtime was under two hours, stopped it from having any long boring bits.

• Like 2

Watched Princess Mononoke today. There was a clip from a documentary about what Hayao Miyazaki is doing since his retirement. 

There re was a quote which has been bothering me though. At one point he said his life had been for nothing. Which... I cannot stand the idea that he thinks his life has been for nothing. His movies have brought so much joy all over the world. 

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Watched Princess Mononoke today. There was a clip from a documentary about what Hayao Miyazaki is doing since his retirement. 

There re was a quote which has been bothering me though. At one point he said his life had been for nothing. Which... I cannot stand the idea that he thinks his life has been for nothing. His movies have brought so much joy all over the world. 

How very surprising and sad. Did he give any reasons?

33 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

How very surprising and sad. Did he give any reasons?

It was just a clip from the documentary, so no. I need to watch that documentary to see if he feels better about his work by the end of it.

merge edit:

So, the documentary I'm talking about is called Never Ending Man Hayao Miyazaki. It was released in 2016 in Japan. I'm trying to find out if it's available elsewhere.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Trailer for the new Aquaman movie is up.

I dunno. It looks like yet more of the same ole Grimdark, but Jason Momoa is the first star of a DC Universe movie that really looked like he was having fun and wanted to be there.

I am intrigued.

Though I'll probably go and see it anyway, it's the amount of CGI that's turning me off.

Seriously, I'm starting to think Pixar movies have less CGI than DC live action movies. (DC movies having a longer duration than Pixar features makes it a valid argument.) ::P:

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Spent a happy evening building minis, putting cork on bases and watching rubbish SyFy films- Roboshark and Blood Lake:Attack of the Killer Lampreys. Both were smart enough to know how stupid they were and had a healthy disregard for stuff like physics, biology and realism. Blood Lake even featured Christopher Lloyd as the uncaring town Mayor ::D:

• Like 3

Watched two movies on the way home from Tokyo. First was Downsizing which was bland. It had an interesting angle, but then went for feels. Uh, okay. 

Second was Destiny: The Tale of Kamakura. It was a super cute movie about a new wife who marries a novelist/investigator who lives near Kamakura, and her introduction to all the spirits and creatures that live around the area. Really enjoyed it, but looks like it may be hard to find here stateside.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2018 at 4:52 PM, Cranky Dog said:

Though I'll probably go and see it anyway, it's the amount of CGI that's turning me off.

Seriously, I'm starting to think Pixar movies have less CGI than DC live action movies. (DC movies having a longer duration than Pixar features makes it a valid argument.) ::P:

It is not the CGI that is the problem - it is the fact that it is bad CGI.

When seen in the theaters, Superman's lips in Justice League were almost hypnotically bad. Mr. Ed levels of bad lip synching. (It might not be as bad on DVD.) And the villain was worse. :blink:

As for Green Lantern....

Aquaboy sitting in the water... just does not look convincing. (Still planning to see it - I was very wrong about Wonder Woman, and I will be hoping to be wrong again.)

Aquaman was one of the things that I liked in Justice League.

The Auld Grump - and Shazam... oi!

• Like 3

Dunno that I agree. 

I wanted to like the Green Lantern film, I really did. The CGI was good, and some of the performances, notably that guy what played Sinestro, were quite good. And Ryan Reynolds COULD have been great in the role if they'd frankly written the role BETTER.

Anyone remember the first Batman movie, the one with Michael Keaton? You walk into that one, you've got Batman all up in your face almost before you've started your popcorn. He's BATMAN, durnit, and he is doing BAT stuff like a proper Batman SHOULD. Only AFTER we've got Batman running around, terrorizing crooks, punching miscreants and striking poses, only THEN do we get down to all that plot and story and other characters and characterization and everything else Batman needs to be in a movie. To use George Scithers' advice for writing pulp fiction, "shoot the sheriff in the first paragraph." And Batman very much does this, metaphorically. Only once we've got a BATMAN doing BAT stuff do we segue off to build the rest of the movie.

This makes perfect sense. If I go see a Superman movie, I don't want 45 minutes of Clark Kent before we get down to brass tacks. Shoot the sheriff, dammit!

I'd lay odds that the reason Green Lantern failed is because (a) a great many moviegoers weren't clear on who Green Lantern WAS, other than his occasional appearances on SuperFriends, and (b) instead of getting GREEN LANTERN up there FAST, flying and creating giant green baseball bats or whatever? We spend the entire first half of the movie wandering around with strangers. We're halfway into the movie before Sinestro takes him to Oa and explains what we're all doing, and we're three quarters in before Ryan Reynolds decides to put on his big green big boy pants and be a superhero.

This exact same problem shot down a LOT of heroic type movies, notably The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, and Green Lantern. We walked in hoping for a superhero film, and what we got was some schlub who sorta got shoehorned into the costume, does not wish to be a hero, and REFUSES THE CALL, only to have DESTINY drag him into the battle most of the way through the movie, where he accepts his heroism and finally beats up the bad guy. Meanwhile, Batman films don't need to do this, because we've already beat Batman's origin story half to death, and we can LEAD with him ripping around Gotham City beating up and occasionally murdering bad guys.

And this isn't even to bring up the issue of the grimdark.

I look at the trailer for Aquaman, and part of me thinks, "They're going to eat up the entire first half of the movie with that story about the lighthouse keeper and The Sorrows Of Young Fishboy before they finally put Jason Momoa out there and make him earn that beach house in Hawaii. And even then, they're gonna grimdark it all up."

But I am hopeful. After all, when they let Ryan Reynolds have some frickin' fun, they got Deadpool, and look how THAT turned out!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got to see Mission Impossible.  So... that was what they ruined Justice League for.  Actually it was a good action romp.  Bring popcorn. Predictable characters and plot, lots of action, not much dialog, big explosions.  Was tempted to nap during the helicopter scenes though. Zzzz.  

• Like 3