Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

I got to see Mission Impossible.  So... that was what they ruined Justice League for.  Actually it was a good action romp.  Bring popcorn. Predictable characters and plot, lots of action, not much dialog, big explosions.  Was tempted to nap during the helicopter scenes though. Zzzz.  

My problem with the M:I movies is that they miss the point about what the old M:I TV series was about - it was not about a lone hero, it was about an agency - and the team changed from mission to mission, by who was needed and who was available. (The TV series is what I would use as inspiration for a Spycraft game.)

While it followed the missions of the faceman of the group (Briggs, then Phelps) that character was not the be all and end all of the agency - he was not James Bond. Or even Bourne.

The Auld Grump - or Danger Man for that matter. ::P:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

My problem with the M:I movies is that they miss the point about what the old M:I TV series was about - it was not about a lone hero, it was about an agency - and the team changed from mission to mission, by who was needed and who was available. (The TV series is what I would use as inspiration for a Spycraft game.)

While it followed the missions of the faceman of the group (Briggs, then Phelps) that character was not the be all and end all of the agency - he was not James Bond. Or even Bourne.

The Auld Grump - or Danger Man for that matter. ::P:

Well, the Bond and Bourne of the movies have virtually no resemblance to the characters from the books either, so perhaps not the best counterexamples.

• Like 4

They didn't miss the point, they just very obviously decided to tie the series to a mega-star and focus on a single character with a downplayed supporting cast. The original had that whole team thing going on until the point where the mission went FUBAR and Hunt was set up.

Also, I watched King Arthur: Legend of the Sword with my son last night. It's one of those movies that's really grown on me the more I've seen it. My initial impression was not very high, but a lot of that was due to it simply not fitting my predetermined conceptions of what a King Arthur movie should be. Then last night it hit me that it's really a lot like A Knight's Tale - another movie that was so out of left field that I disliked it the first time I saw it. After seeing it again (and again and again) on cable a few years later, it's become one of my all-time favorites.

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chrome said:

They didn't miss the point, they just very obviously decided to tie the series to a mega-star and focus on a single character with a downplayed supporting cast. The original had that whole team thing going on until the point where the mission went FUBAR and Hunt was set up.

That is missing the danged point!

Almost, but not quite, as bad as the remake of The Saint.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

The POINT is that the TV show was an ensemble piece. The MOVIES are Tom Cruise vehicles. 

SHERLOCK HOLMES is a character, and an icon. He's been rebooted loads of times. But when SHERLOCK HOLMES appears, I want him to be a consulting detective (not a cop) with amazing powers of deduction who incisively investigates, digs for clues, puts the pieces together and solves the crime. This is what Sherlock Holmes IS. We don't need the deerstalker cap, Oompaul pipe, or magnifying glass. It's okay if Watson is female. It's okay if Holmes is not white, or WHATEVER, I understand, Basil Rathbone is DEAD, we need to make it RELEVANT, peachy keenerino, I can dig it. But the NAME tells me that I am about to see a MYSTERY STORY with a BRILLIANT DETECTIVE who solves the crime, because that's what SHERLOCK HOLMES DOES.

Now, if you give me SHERLOCK HOLMES, and he turns out to be a 15 year old street kid with a mania for skateboards and Ska music who wears a red baseball cap and fights vampires? That ain't Sherlock Holmes. It may well be a fine show, entertaining, well written, and even worth my time, but it AIN'T SHERLOCK HOLMES, and hanging that label on it is false advertising at best.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We saw The Incredibles 2. Again (with the rest of the gaming group this time).

It is official - not only does Marvel Studios do better super hero fights than the DC movies, so does Pixar.

Also - I need that soundtrack! Mostly for espionage games. Going to be looking for that composer - very, very good.

The Auld Grump  - and not for 'Mr. Incredible! Punching the bad guys! Pow! Pow! Pow!' - it was pretty obvious that Mr. Bird grew up on Hanna Barbera.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4

Been going through my Marvel stuff....

Infinity war on August 14

Can't wait to see it again...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knarthex said:

Been going through my Marvel stuff....

Infinity war on August 14

Can't wait to see it again...

I STILL need to see Antman and Wasp... :down:

7 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I STILL need to see Antman and Wasp... :down:

We live in a world where a film about Ant-Man and The Wasp outperformed The Justice League....

Stop and think about that one. ::(:

The Auld Grump - Meanwhile, at The Hall of Justice the Super Friends....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I was amazed and alarmed to discover that there are people who have never seen Mr. Incredible and Pals!

No excuse for it, either - we own the DVD.... ::P:

The Auld Grump - shades of Clutch Cargo!

"Why am I WHITE?"

Laughed so hard at that I about hurt myself.

Watched Beetlejuice tonight for the first time in a long time. The kids either hadn't seen it or had forgotten that they had. Was a good time.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

"Why am I WHITE?"

Laughed so hard at that I about hurt myself.

I'm captured! The black superhero gets captured!

You were just complaining that you weren't black.

Excuse me, the TANNED superhero gets captured!

And the damned rabbit! SOMEBODY signed off on the rabbit!

I don't know why I never watched it before. I didn't even know it was on the DVD. I just watched the movie.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I'm captured! The black superhero gets captured!

You were just complaining that you weren't black.

Excuse me, the TANNED superhero gets captured!

And the damned rabbit! SOMEBODY signed off on the rabbit!

I don't know why I never watched it before. I didn't even know it was on the DVD. I just watched the movie.

Y'see, I grew up with Clutch Cargo cartoons, limited animation, and those awful old Marvel "moving comic strips." In which there were no black people, because it was the Civil Rights era, and we weren't ready for black people in our cartoons yet.

And consequently, "Mr. Incredible And Friends" with commentary track about made me laugh until I hurt myself. Upon repeated viewings, it sounds like Samuel L. Jackson was having a pretty good time himself.

• Like 2