Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Technically not a movie, but I saw the final performance of this year's Commonwealth Shakespeare Company's Shakespeare on the Common: Richard III. R3 is Shakespeare's first great comedy and it was wonderfully acted. There's a little bit of an echo as the sound system reverberates off the townhouses of Beacon Hill, which made things extra spooky during the Ghostly Visitation scene.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, etherial said:

Technically not a movie, but I saw the final performance of this year's Commonwealth Shakespeare Company's Shakespeare on the Common: Richard III. R3 is Shakespeare's first great comedy and it was wonderfully acted. There's a little bit of an echo as the sound system reverberates off the townhouses of Beacon Hill, which made things extra spooky during the Ghostly Visitation scene.

Umm... I really don't think Richard III is intended to be a comedy.

Propaganda, perhaps.

• Like 1

Took the kids to see the Teen Titans Go movie.  The kids loved it, I liked it less than the series, which amuses me and the wife far more than it probably should.  Solid outing with the kids though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

Umm... I really don't think Richard III is intended to be a comedy.

Propaganda, perhaps.

It is regarded by many as a Black Comedy, since its primary entertainment value is in watching the Royalty of England betray and muder each other over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4a_r9H5NSs

Edited by etherial

53 minutes ago, etherial said:

It is regarded by many as a Black Comedy, since its primary entertainment value is in watching the Royalty of England betray and muder each other over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4a_r9H5NSs

Again, I have to politely disagree.

"Many" regard it as a study of a flawed character gradually losing all redeeming features and becoming a monster. A warning or perhaps a tragedy.

Alternatively a lot of historians of the period regard it as an example of the authoritarian nature of the Tudor monarchs, who made sure that nothing was said in favour of their predecessors.

Sadly I can't access youtube on ship, but thank you for the link anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Again, I have to politely disagree.

"Many" regard it as a study of a flawed character gradually losing all redeeming features and becoming a monster. A warning or perhaps a tragedy.

Alternatively a lot of historians of the period regard it as an example of the authoritarian nature of the Tudor monarchs, who made sure that nothing was said in favour of their predecessors.

Sadly I can't access youtube on ship, but thank you for the link anyway.

I am determinèd to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
Plots have I laid, inductions dangerous,
By drunken prophecies, libels and dreams....
The Dungeon Master's Oath

The Auld Grump - A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse! Here, horsey, horsey, horsey!
(Blackadder)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

But why? Were you not expecting silly and stupid? I found it highly entertaining... 

I was told it was "awesome" and "really funny". 

I think we're going to try for Ocean's 8 this week if it is still showing. 

So Ocean's 8 was decent.  I thought Cate Blanchett did especially well putting out a character that was more than a stereotype.  None of the rest of the cast was bad, just weren't given much in the script to work with.  The plot was standard for the "Ocean's" franchise, how are they going to pull off the heist?  Unfortunately there wasn't a point during the movie where the tension built to the point where you thought they might fail.  Like a car revving up to high speed and being put into neutral the story just coasted to a stop without the really exciting parts. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Inarah said:

So Ocean's 8 was decent.  I thought Cate Blanchett did especially well putting out a character that was more than a stereotype.  None of the rest of the cast was bad, just weren't given much in the script to work with.  The plot was standard for the "Ocean's" franchise, how are they going to pull off the heist?  Unfortunately there wasn't a point during the movie where the tension built to the point where you thought they might fail.  Like a car revving up to high speed and being put into neutral the story just coasted to a stop without the really exciting parts. 

Agreed. My wife and I really wanted Rose to be a better fashion designer and a worse thief to help throw complications at everyone else.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:28 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Y'see, I grew up with Clutch Cargo cartoons, limited animation, and those awful old Marvel "moving comic strips." In which there were no black people, because it was the Civil Rights era, and we weren't ready for black people in our cartoons yet.

And consequently, "Mr. Incredible And Friends" with commentary track about made me laugh until I hurt myself. Upon repeated viewings, it sounds like Samuel L. Jackson was having a pretty good time himself.

When I was a tyke, I watched Colonel Bleep.... The only person I have encountered that was familiar with that show is also on these forums....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kJyQvWXOA

I even had a paper model of the ship, which came in a magazine that I no longer remember the title of.

The Auld Grump

Finally "caved in" and watched a few episodes (first six) of Aggretsuko, the dubbed version on Netflix (since it's the main one that pulls up for me).  I say "caved in" because I watched the Anime America "What am I watching?!?!?!?!?" review of it, and, uhm, yeah.  Had to watch it.

Quotes on "caved in" were used because apparently that character is kind of popular in a lot of circles right now.  Definitely worth watching, but don't think you can get away with just one episode, they're 15ish minutes long each and there's this strong addiction to watch at least a few more to see where it goes...