Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

We watched "Coco" last night. It was pretty good, if overly message-y. I was surprised by the direction it went in the second half, but not by the ending. 

• Like 4

Watched Ant-Man and the Wasp yesterday. Wife and I both thought it was better than the first, which is usually not the case for sequels.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Watched Ant-Man and the Wasp yesterday. Wife and I both thought it was better than the first, which is usually not the case for sequels.

But those end credit scenes.... :blink:

I could have sworn that plot wasn't supposed to happen during the credits.

Well, except for Deapool, because, well... Deadpool.

Having access to a time machine means never having to say your sorry, or even get a chance to say you are sorry, after the chance was lot. Or, you know, prevent mistakes from being made in the first place.

::P:

Why wait until the next movie to start retconning? :lol: (A subtle clue - I very much enjoyed Deadpool 2's end credit scenes. More than a lot of the movie itself. ::):)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Struggled through "How it Ends" on Netflix, I've not been so angry watching a film in ages ::(:

Are you angry because it's terrible? Or something else about it?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Are you angry because it's terrible? Or something else about it?

Just in case people want to see it without my disappointed ranting-

The basic premise of the film is pretty solid- After a mysterious event that takes down all electrical power, causes earthquakes and disrupts phone signals, the boyfriend and father of a young lady have to travel from Chicago to Seattle to find said young lady. Naturally, the two guys hate each other, which is fine because it gives them time to gain a grudging respect for each other as this type of film demands.

My first problem with the film is that it seems to think that civilisation would fall apart within a day. Even though I've got a pretty low opinion of humanity as a whole, I refuse to believe that things would go anywhere near as bad, as quickly as the film depicted it. What follows is an hour and a half of dour, depressing nonsense with random attacks, fights for fuel and oddlly beautiful sunsets.

As they travel, they also encounter seemingly random events that I somewhat naively assumed gave hints to what had caused the 'event'. Military convoys being destroyed by unknown forces, aurora borealis and massive storms/lightning displays. This was by far the most interesting aspect of the film and by this point I was forcing myself to keep watching simply to find out what caused all this chaos. Was it an attack by an enemy power? Aliens? Nature fighting back? Who knows? Certainly not the makers of this film, as it is NEVER explained what actually happened :(

The ending of the film is even worse- one of the main characters eventually finds the young lady and soon afterwards has to try and drive away from a pyroclastic flow that has appeared out of nowhere. Very dramatic, huh? Especially since the credits roll before we see if the characters live or die. I just sat there blinking, it was as if the film makers had just ran out of money and put it on netflix anyway :(

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Just in case people want to see it without my disappointed ranting-

Hide contents

The basic premise of the film is pretty solid- After a mysterious event that takes down all electrical power, causes earthquakes and disrupts phone signals, the boyfriend and father of a young lady have to travel from Chicago to Seattle to find said young lady. Naturally, the two guys hate each other, which is fine because it gives them time to gain a grudging respect for each other as this type of film demands.

My first problem with the film is that it seems to think that civilisation would fall apart within a day. Even though I've got a pretty low opinion of humanity as a whole, I refuse to believe that things would go anywhere near as bad, as quickly as the film depicted it. What follows is an hour and a half of dour, depressing nonsense with random attacks, fights for fuel and oddlly beautiful sunsets.

As they travel, they also encounter seemingly random events that I somewhat naively assumed gave hints to what had caused the 'event'. Military convoys being destroyed by unknown forces, aurora borealis and massive storms/lightning displays. This was by far the most interesting aspect of the film and by this point I was forcing myself to keep watching simply to find out what caused all this chaos. Was it an attack by an enemy power? Aliens? Nature fighting back? Who knows? Certainly not the makers of this film, as it is NEVER explained what actually happened :(

The ending of the film is even worse- one of the main characters eventually finds the young lady and soon afterwards has to try and drive away from a pyroclastic flow that has appeared out of nowhere. Very dramatic, huh? Especially since the credits roll before we see if the characters live or die. I just sat there blinking, it was as if the film makers had just ran out of money and put it on netflix anyway :(

Reveal hidden contents

Try watching 2012... I left the theater about fifteen minutes in. (And went into another theater at the cineplex to see a movie that I do not remember, but could at least sit all the way through.)

22 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Doctor Strange and Inception with Mum. Maybe World's End if we have time.

Aren't Inception and Doctor Strange the same movie?  World's End is a fun pub crawl, eh?

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Try watching 2012... I left the theater about fifteen minutes in. (And went into another theater at the cineplex to see a movie that I do not remember, but could at least sit all the way through.)

I made it to the end of that one, but I'm pretty forgiving on "so bad they're good" films. I watched a cheesetastic the giant monster eel flick Razortooth earlier :) Blame my dad, we used to watch old godzilla films and the ancient Flash Gordon series when I was a wee bairn :winkthumbs:

Recently watched two movies - 'Ready Player One' and 'Avengers: Infinity War' that I'd been kept from seeing.

Ready Player One was a little extra bittersweet, since it was a movie my wife and I had wanted to see, but it just hadn't been possible - I found it on DVD after she'd passed away.  I liked it well enough, but the central message of spending time with people and being close with those you love being important had extra weight now that Tammy's gone.

Avengers was... wow.  Very intense.  Was expecting some of what I saw from what I'd seen of accidental spoilers, but on the whole was surprised by where the film went.  Tammy wasn't a fan of superhero films in general, and this one in particular I'd have doubted she'd like anyway.

• Sad 12

I just finished watching Masters of the Universe with my daughters. 

Wasnt as epic as I remember it being when I was a kids but my girls really liked it and thats all that matters. 

• Like 1

Hubby and I watched the recent Tomb Raider movie this last weekend. It was very enjoyable and I am totally in love with Alicia Vikander. She's just so bad-elf.

One of the things I found so good about the movie was that you could really see how much all the crap she was going through was hurting her, but she wasn't gonna let it stop her. So bad-elf. 

Another cool thing was how you could tell how certain scenes would play out as a video game. I like it when movies from comics and video games keep some of that feel.

• Like 2