Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

On 5/30/2019 at 9:45 AM, redambrosia said:

Double spy feature last night! 

We watched Atomic Blonde and Red Sparrow last night. Two very different spy flicks, but both enjoyable. Atomic Blonde was an action flick with an amazing sound track and cinematography that harkened back to the story's comic book roots. Red Sparrow was a psychological thriller that was very reminiscent of similar films from the 70s and 80s. 

Of the two, I enjoyed Atomic Blonde more, but that may be down to it having more actors that I really enjoy watching. And that stellar soundtrack. 

Might have to grab that soundtrack, especially if it has that remix of 99 Red Ballons.

Ooh, I just saw “Atomic Blonde!” That was a great soundtrack.

... Is that a remix of “99 Luftballoons?” I thought it was the original, just the quiet part right at the end. 

I was kind of spoilt by having learned about killing while researching for games. In Hollywoodland, a person is dead as soon as they go limp. But in the back of my mind I was thinking assassin’s guild style, Eight seconds to unconsciousness, six to ten minutes to actually die, that person isn’t dead yet. This happened more than once.

Also the MC was pinpoint-accurate at ridiculous speeds with her gun except when the script required otherwise. But I guess that’s about average for the genre? (I don’t normally watch spy action flicks, but I’m in a game inspired partly by this one and it seemed a good idea.)

• Like 4

Finally got to see Captain Marvel last night. I thought it was decent movie. No qualms about the acting or casting, but the plot was pretty confusing for the first half of it. A few tie-ins that I felt were unnecessary/contradicting established cinematic timeline, but I get why it was done. For me, it was a decent Marvel movie.

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Second season, about midway through.

I can only binge-watch a single show for so long before I have to switch to something else.

Legends of Tomorrow I think is brilliantly done (haven't seen the most recent season yet). The only issue is when it does its cross-over episodes with Arrow/Flash/Supergirl, you sometimes need to know what has been going on in those shows for it all to make sense. So that may actually help you, because you can binge them all simultaneously, and rotating an episode of each will keep it all fresh?

• Like 5

Just back from Dark Phoenix.  It was much better than I expected, based on comments and reviews I'd seen.  We wanted to see Aladdin but it was sold out. (I forgot Tuesday is $5 night).   As an action movie maybe it was not great, but as a personal drama it was good.  I usually think most movies could be 30 minutes shorter, but this one could have benefited from more time spent in the dramatic scenes,  more exposition, and more tension building up to the final scenes.  There were some other nit-picks, but we can discuss them over coffee some time. :)

• Like 7

So they made Banana Splits movie. If you grew up watching it, you will likely be disappointed. If not, you may enjoy it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Aladdin was fun.  I have not seen the previous animated version, so can't compare.  It was pretty much what I expected from the previews, except it was a musical.  Of course it was, it's Disney.  Will Smith was Will Smith, and the other actors played their parts reasonably well.  The story moved along at a good pace and there was lots of action, but I noticed the younger kids in the audience were not paying attention after the first hour.  May be a better movie for them as a home video. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Aladdin was fun.  I have not seen the previous animated version, so can't compare.  It was pretty much what I expected from the previews, except it was a musical.  Of course it was, it's Disney.  Will Smith was Will Smith, and the other actors played their parts reasonably well.  The story moved along at a good pace and there was lots of action, but I noticed the younger kids in the audience were not paying attention after the first hour.  May be a better movie for them as a home video. 

Really?!?

:blink:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm feeling all movied out.

Watched four new movies over the weekend, fortunately only one was bad (The Meg, for a film about a giant, man-eating, prehistoric shark it was surprisingly boring), the other three (Aquaman, Mary and the Witches Flower and Ralph Breaks the Internet) were all pretty good.

I also got a bit further in my slow rewatch of all the Marvel films, with Thor:- The Dark World. Still one of their weaker films, but nowhere near as bad as I remembered (something I've discovered with quite a few of them).

Still think I'll try and be a little bit more active next weekend. 

• Like 7

Finally saw Avengers End Game yesterday. A good movie, but definitely needed an Intermission Break built in!

• Like 8

Godzilla King of the Monsters was much better than I'd expected it to be. The only thing I would've changed is to add in a quick 6-10 sec scene. If you're going to have Godzilla and friends destroying Boston, then there needs to be at least one appearance from the regulars of Cheers. It's not like they haven't crossed over before...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Godzilla King of the Monsters was much better than I'd expected it to be. The only thing I would've changed is to add in a quick 6-10 sec scene. If you're going to have Godzilla and friends destroying Boston, then there needs to be at least one appearance from the regulars of Cheers. It's not like they haven't crossed over before...

OMG, seeing George Wendt running for his life in some scene would've been hilarious.

Dark Phoenix was way better than most reviews made it out to be, but I also really enjoyed Apocalypse, so I think I may be in a very odd minority.

Going to see Toy Story 4 tonight with the family. Really looking forward to it.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Going to see Toy Story 4 tonight with the family. Really looking forward to it.

Going at 6 with my son. Hope its good. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Going at 6 with my son. Hope its good. 

Sadly, had to cancel my plans. I'd booked 2 seats, with the plan to get my wife's ticket with a free ticket coupon, and the theatre filled up before we got there. We'll have to reschedule, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Movie was good. Disappointed in the “wait until the end of the credits” scene. Honestly, that can be skipped. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:45 PM, Pegazus said:

Movie was good. Disappointed in the “wait until the end of the credits” scene. Honestly, that can be skipped. 

Finally saw it last night. Not surprisingly, it had my wife in tears. What struck me as odd, though, is that it's the first Pixar movie without a Pixar Short.:blink:

• Sad 1