Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Today I watched the live-action Aladdin which was decent if very unnecessary.

I also watched last seasons DCTV Elseworlds crossover, this one was somewhat disappointing, particularly the backdoor Batwoman pilot (seriously, if you're going to go to the bother of shoehorning in the Batman mythos, shouldn't you actually use it?). 

Despite that, I'll still watch the next one if they release it as a movie-like compilation again. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

My wife and I went to the theatre yesterday and saw both Jojo Rabbit and Terminator: Dark Fate. Both were very enjoyable - Dark Fate was the best Terminator 3 yet. Jojo Rabbit was an excellent movie. My wife teared up at a certain moment, and it was terrifically handled and well acted. I wish Taika Waititi had managed to get half the balance of serious and comedy in Ragnarok as he pulled off in Jojo Rabbit. I highly recommend it.

Was wanting to view Jojo Rabbit after I saw a preview, but it also had that super-fey Wes-Anderson vibe that always worries me when anyone other than Wes Anderson is doing it, so I wasn't sure lol.

I actually thought Ragnorok was by far the best Thor movie (not that that's saying much) and one of the better Marvel entries on the whole really.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Was wanting to view Jojo Rabbit after I saw a preview, but it also had that super-fey Wes-Anderson vibe that always worries me when anyone other than Wes Anderson is doing it, so I wasn't sure lol.

I actually thought Ragnorok was by far the best Thor movie (not that that's saying much) and one of the better Marvel entries on the whole really.

Ragnarok was a fun movie, but it was waaaaaaay too eager to undermine any possible pathos. The subject matter involves the complete destruction of Thor's family, his home, and his friends, and he just runs around like an idiot completely oblivious to the deaths of people he's known and cared about for centuries. Every possible serious moment is undermined by a joke. It's an okay movie, but the subject matter desperately needed to be handled with greater care and awareness than it was, and it was a drastic departure for the characters in general.

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Ragnarok was a fun movie, but it was waaaaaaay too eager to undermine any possible pathos. The subject matter involves the complete destruction of Thor's family, his home, and his friends, and he just runs around like an idiot completely oblivious to the deaths of people he's known and cared about for centuries. Every possible serious moment is undermined by a joke. It's an okay movie, but the subject matter desperately needed to be handled with greater care and awareness than it was, and it was a drastic departure for the characters in general.

So you know how at the beginning, Thor is narrating? It's cause he was telling the refuge kids on the ship the story of how it all happened. At least that's my explanation for it. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Crowley said:

So you know how at the beginning, Thor is narrating? It's cause he was telling the refuge kids on the ship the story of how it all happened. At least that's my explanation for it. 

That's a charitable interpretation I'd be more inclined to accept if there was more narration throughout the story. I mean, it was an alright movie. It was fun. It just got so frustrating watching every single dramatic moment get undercut with a joke. I saw Thor throw that ball to shatter the window, and knew it was going to just bounce back into his head. Banner accepts his Hulk-ness and potentially sacrifices Banner to jump out of the ship and fight Fenrir, and then he just thuds like a limp fish onto the bridge. Ha ha. :rolleyes:

I mean, I get that Marvel doesn't take itself too seriously, but that was too much.

• Like 1

My wife is a big Stephen king fan so for a early bday present we went out of town to a better theater to see Dr Sleep.

Decent movie,  it had its moments. 

• Like 4

On 11/11/2019 at 12:05 AM, haldir said:

My wife is a big Stephen king fan so for a early bday present we went out of town to a better theater to see Dr Sleep.

Decent movie,  it had its moments. 

I absolutely loved it. I have no idea how, but the director manager to make a sequel to both the book and movie of The Shining. The cast was really good and I didn't even mind that the third act was completely different from that of the novel.  

• Like 3

On 11/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, Kuroneko said:

I absolutely loved it. I have no idea how, but the director manager to make a sequel to both the book and movie of The Shining. The cast was really good and I didn't even mind that the third act was completely different from that of the novel.  

Oh I loved that they really tied the two together despite the years gap between the 2 movies. Not to spoil the movie but the scene with Danny in the lounge was great! Whoever (just found out who that is....wow!) they got to play the other part was fantastic. 

I guess looking at my post, it seems like I didn't enjoy the movie but I did. It was a good movie that I enjoyed, just it had moments in that I really liked. Also, the choice of actors for the film was great too. Cliff Curtis is a actor, I enjoying watching, when he's in a movie for example.

• Like 2

Watched Hobbs & Shaw. Definitely not high brow, but it was fun. Very much enjoyed the Samoas. Would have been better overall if there was less rap music.

• Like 1

Came across a fan edit of Terminator 3 Rise of The Machines, called the Coming Storm. It cuts out all of the uneven attempts at humor in the movie. The result is a bit rough, but there is a damn good story lurking in there. I think if the humor had either been removed in the theatrical release, or toned down T3 would've been remembered a bit more fondly. One of the things I liked about it is that like the first movie, it was heavy on the predestination end of the scale, which I think rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way after the popularity of the "No Fate" line in T2. 

• Like 2

We just watched Netflix’s Klaus. Extremely enjoyable Christmas movie. It weaves a nice tale of the Santa Origin, which is odd as the location has a Dreadmere feel to it. 

(And  we won’t even mention the big KruleBear tearing up a couple times)

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 4

Now that we have Disney+, I strongly suspect that Avengers movie is in the cards for me this weekend... 

• Like 4

On 11/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Came across a fan edit of Terminator 3 Rise of The Machines, called the Coming Storm. It cuts out all of the uneven attempts at humor in the movie. The result is a bit rough, but there is a damn good story lurking in there. I think if the humor had either been removed in the theatrical release, or toned down T3 would've been remembered a bit more fondly. One of the things I liked about it is that like the first movie, it was heavy on the predestination end of the scale, which I think rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way after the popularity of the "No Fate" line in T2. 

T3 was a pretty solid movie overall. I agree it wasn't great, but I really appreciated that the movie had the guts to actually have Judgement Day happen. That was a gutsy move, that should have been a potential throughput for future movies being set in the future Hellscape of post-Judgement Day. Salvation tried to keep it going, but they chickened out of their major plot twist ending, which is a pretty big disappointment.

I do remember liking T3 at the time, but the humor really does hurt it overall. I'll have to see if I can find this "Coming Storm" cut.

• Like 5

Finally watched Doctor Strange.  Oh yeah, that was a good movie.  The Ancient One just very well might be a new favourite character...

• Like 4

Did a double feature of the new Charlie's Angels and Doctor Sleep on Thursday. Enjoyed both. CA was popcorn faire, probably not worth the ticket price if you don't have an AMC A-List membership, but it was entertaining enough to rent. Awesome ladies who are very pretty, and one of the women had a very Sarah-Michelle-Geller-in-Buffy vibe that I dug. DS was dark, creepy in places, has some absolutely monstrous villains I loved to hate, and the young lady playing the child lead was tremendous.

• Like 5