Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

I'd say just go for the last two, they're the most relevant. 

On a completely unrelated note, we have tickets for a special screening of Episodes VII and VIII on the the evening of the 18th with Skywalker starting at 00.05 on the 19th. I love midnight showings, everyone is always so enthusiastic and happy to be there ^_^

Yeah, at the rate I'm going (instead we started rewatching Firefly,  AND I got caught up on the Arrowverse in time for Crisis) I'm thinking just the last two although it would be nice to watch them all again. 

The last midnight viewing I went to was for Episode I.......

• Like 3

Went to a Star Wars triple bill last night, with Rise of Skywalker starting at midnight. It was really good seeing the 2 previous films on the big screen again (I always feel that such firms lose a lot of impact when transferred to the small screen)

My verdict? I loved it ^_^  It looked absolutely gorgeous and it did a great job of ending the story. I'd love to talk about it in more detail, but I'm wary of giving too much away.

I suspect that people who didn't like The Last Jedi probably won't like this one either, but if we were all the same it would be a boring world, eh? 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 12/19/2019 at 9:02 AM, Kuroneko said:

Went to a Star Wars triple bill last night, with Rise of Skywalker starting at midnight. It was really good seeing the 2 previous films on the big screen again (I always feel that such firms lose a lot of impact when transferred to the small screen)

My verdict? I loved it ^_^  It looked absolutely gorgeous and it did a great job of ending the story. I'd love to talk about it in more detail, but I'm wary of giving too much away.

I suspect that people who didn't like The Last Jedi probably won't like this one either, but if we were all the same it would be a boring world, eh? 

I was listening to someone talking about how the criticism was that it was "too fanservice-y" and he said "I'm a fan. I want to be serviced. I can't see how that's a bad thing." I'm of a similar mind. I'll be seeing it tomorrow night, but sadly won't have the chance to rewatch the others in the series beforehand. I really liked Last Jedi, though, so I think it'll be fine.

• Like 3

Saw Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker last night. Enjoyed it. My wife cried at one point. Done well enough, but I've enjoyed the entire trilogy. Some cool set pieces, nice effects, good acting.

I can't believe that Yoda turned out to be Rey's mother...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 12/19/2019 at 8:02 AM, Kuroneko said:

without starting arguments, i personally cannot stand what Disney has done to the Star Wars i loved =P but i was also a big fan of the Extended Universe. I won't go see them in theaters after the Last Jedi

but i'm glad there are people that do enjoy the movies. I just can't, myself

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The only reason I haven't gone out to see it in theaters is, well, initial rush the first week or two, and secondly, I can control the audio levels when watching at home.  Too often now when I go to the theater I have my ears ring for several days, and some things are just downright painful (like the blasts from Loki's staff in that one Avengers movie - every blast was like a framing nail through my ears for how loud, and sharp they were). 

I miss going to the theater, but sadly now, it's just so loud o_o

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The only reason I haven't gone out to see it in theaters is, well, initial rush the first week or two, and secondly, I can control the audio levels when watching at home.  Too often now when I go to the theater I have my ears ring for several days, and some things are just downright painful (like the blasts from Loki's staff in that one Avengers movie - every blast was like a framing nail through my ears for how loud, and sharp they were). 

Maybe some noise cancelling or reducing headphones?
From what I can tell, they "tune" the volume for a full theatre, then don't adjust it when it isn't full.  As someone who tries to avoid crowds, I've been to some shows with 4-5 people in the theatre and they have been painfully loud.

A friend posted that he can't go see Rise of Skywalker.  Disney chose not to follow the Harding Test Standard. While he is a huge Star Wars fan, he's not willing to risk a seizure to see it in the theatre. He's checking to see if any of the local theatres are doing a Sensory Friendly screening (as the movie theatre chain up here does that sometimes) but otherwise he'll have to wait.

I would have thought under Disney they would be a little more cautious about triggering epileptic seizures. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Maybe some noise cancelling or reducing headphones?

Those bring about their own problems.  Let's just say I'm in the 5% that get disoriented, and bad.  Feeling like your head is in one place (say, leaning to the right thirty degrees) while your chest is in another (leaning to the left forty five degrees) really messes up your mind, and in really strong cases, can make you nauseous, and give you a bad case of vertigo... Alongside feeling like your body is in physically impossible contortions, because your head can't be leaning one way from center if your chest is going the other, yet you're actually sitting still.  Not a pleasant experience, to say the least (hubby knows someone who gets hit within a second, and gets the really, really bad symptoms) 

Thankfully it sets in after about five minutes for me, but still, it wrecks your balance, your ability to see properly, and gives a rather annoying version of a headache for an hour and a half in my case.  Haven't tried hubby's Sony noise canceling ones, but I suspect I'd get the same effect as the Bose ones did. 

Besides, since it's so stupidly expensive to see a movie these days anyways, and the theaters aren't exactly in the easiest to get to of places from where I live, it's just easier to wait the 6-9 months and watch it on a streaming service.   Okay, sure, it's "only" a 45 minute bus ride but that's assuming you can get a bus on the way home afterwards too. 

Which is a pity, because while there are a decent amount of perks that have come about because of the digital loudness wars, it's effectively ruined my ability to go to the theater, which is something I used to enjoy a fair bit. 

• Sad 3

On 12/22/2019 at 5:03 PM, Sirithiliel said:

without starting arguments, i personally cannot stand what Disney has done to the Star Wars i loved =P but i was also a big fan of the Extended Universe. I won't go see them in theaters after the Last Jedi

but i'm glad there are people that do enjoy the movies. I just can't, myself

I totally understand any issues people have with the whole Extended Universe cull, but I can also see the side of a company that didn't want to be tied to decades of books and comics. There was some awesome stuff in there, but there was a lot of.....um....not so great stuff too. It would have been great to see some of the Timothy Zahn novels being adapted, but I never in my wildest dreams expected to see them on the big screen anyway.

It's always hard to take when a long running series or character goes in a different direction from what we want. Personally, I won't watch Episodes I-III because I find them painful to watch. I refuse to acknowledge that a film version of The A-Team exists and I absolutely cannot stand the Toby Maguire Spiderman films (yeah, I know, time to hand in my geek card ::P:)

One of my favourite things about living right now is the sheer amount of 'nerd' properties being adapted to cinema and TV. There seems to be new niche films and shows being optioned all the time and with the advent of streaming means there's a lot of stuff that previously would never have gotten to the cinema or mainstream channels. Our watch lists on our various streaming services are terrifyingly long and more gets added every week. It's going to get even worse when we finally get Disney+ in March. It's a great problem to have :poke:

On 12/22/2019 at 6:58 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Is there a different cinema you could try? I refuse to go to one or our local ones because their sound system is set way too loud. When we went to see John Wick 2, I ended up with a 60 hour migraine ::(:

On 12/22/2019 at 7:25 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

A friend posted that he can't go see Rise of Skywalker.  Disney chose not to follow the Harding Test Standard. While he is a huge Star Wars fan, he's not willing to risk a seizure to see it in the theatre. He's checking to see if any of the local theatres are doing a Sensory Friendly screening (as the movie theatre chain up here does that sometimes) but otherwise he'll have to wait.

I would have thought under Disney they would be a little more cautious about triggering epileptic seizures. 

That's awful for your friend. Most 'family friendly' films at our local cinema have showings like the ones you describe. They also have 'baby friendly' and 'no kids' showings too. 

Believe me, you really don't want to mix up those last two :blink:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

I totally understand any issues people have with the whole Extended Universe cull, but I can also see the side of a company that didn't want to be tied to decades of books and comics. There was some awesome stuff in there, but there was a lot of.....um....not so great stuff too. It would have been great to see some of the Timothy Zahn novels being adapted, but I never in my wildest dreams expected to see them on the big screen anyway.

It's always hard to take when a long running series or character goes in a different direction from what we want. Personally, I won't watch Episodes I-III because I find them painful to watch. I refuse to acknowledge that a film version of The A-Team exists and I absolutely cannot stand the Toby Maguire Spiderman films (yeah, I know, time to hand in my geek card ::P:)

I have other issues with the films too that isn't just due to the EU being scrapped

Plot holes, breaking the established rules of the universe, Mary Sue lead character, and thin character development and writing just makes them unwatchable for me

I could have lived with the extended universe cull if the movies were at least decent (my opinion of course) but I cannot unsee all the faults in them

I know there are lots of arguments over her being a Mary Sue or not but IMO if you instantly learn abilities that took other people decades to master, can instantly fix the Falcon better than Solo in five minutes of being on it, can instantly fly better than any pilot on the universe on the first try, and beats all bad guys without breaking much of a sweat, it is a Mary Sue =P 

Much of Rey's journey felt unearned and too easy to me. She faced nothing she couldn't overcome within moments, she needs no one's help to succeed, she master's any ability she needs to within seconds. 

Sorry to rant. I just really do hate what star wars has become. I loved it so much growing up and now I am called names and a hater of women (despite being a woman...) Because I dare point out the flaws of the movies

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

I have other issues with the films too that isn't just due to the EU being scrapped

Plot holes, breaking the established rules of the universe, Mary Sue lead character, and thin character development and writing just makes them unwatchable for me

I could have lived with the extended universe cull if the movies were at least decent (my opinion of course) but I cannot unsee all the faults in them

I know there are lots of arguments over her being a Mary Sue or not but IMO if you instantly learn abilities that took other people decades to master, can instantly fix the Falcon better than Solo in five minutes of being on it, can instantly fly better than any pilot on the universe on the first try, and beats all bad guys without breaking much of a sweat, it is a Mary Sue =P 

Much of Rey's journey felt unearned and too easy to me. She faced nothing she couldn't overcome within moments, she needs no one's help to succeed, she master's any ability she needs to within seconds. 

Sorry to rant. I just really do hate what star wars has become. I loved it so much growing up and now I am called names and a hater of women (despite being a woman...) Because I dare point out the flaws of the movies

I'd largely argue that these same criticisms can be levied against the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and the series as a whole. In general, I overall disagree with much of your take on the subject, but it's not worth hashing out yet again.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'd largely argue that these same criticisms can be levied against the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and the series as a whole. In general, I overall disagree with much of your take on the subject, but it's not worth hashing out yet again.

The original trilogy had it's problems but were still a lot of fun. I didn't like episode 1 much but tolerated 2 and 3. 7 and 8 didn't really have any redeeming features for me. They rehashed the originals in a worse way and I have no interest in seeing the latest one in theater. Rogue One and Solo also had issues but they were enjoyable. I try to not take my film watching too serious so I'm not upset about them ruining my childhood with the new films. Would just liked to have seen something better. Late to the complaint party but just needed to say that. :poke:

• Like 6