Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

12 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Sorry to rant. I just really do hate what star wars has become. I loved it so much growing up and now I am called names and a hater of women (despite being a woman...) Because I dare point out the flaws of the movies

45 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'd largely argue that these same criticisms can be levied against the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and the series as a whole. In general, I overall disagree with much of your take on the subject, but it's not worth hashing out yet again.

Don't worry, you didn't even get close to ranting :poke:

I've typed out three separate answers to what you said @Sirithiliel, but Sakura said it way more eloquently than I ever could. It's not an attack on your tastes or feelings, but I'm at the point where I don't think it's worth arguing about anymore because no one is ever going to change their minds about it. 

Like I said, if we were all the same, it would be a boring world. Maybe the announced Knights of the Old Republic trilogy will make us all happy.

18 minutes ago, Zink said:

I try to not take my film watching too serious so I'm not upset about them ruining my childhood with the new films. Would just liked to have seen something better. Late to the complaint party but just needed to say that. :poke:

I don't subscribe to the ruined childhood arguments either. Well, unless you're talking about Transformers, that is ::P:

You've just reminded me about that Rogue One prequel series that's happening next year. Really looking forward to that, K-2SO is my favourite character from the recent films.  

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'd largely argue that these same criticisms can be levied against the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and the series as a whole. In general, I overall disagree with much of your take on the subject, but it's not worth hashing out yet again.

Just a quick response being that the original trilogy does have its fair share of issues,but I never felt like Luke didn't earn his victories. He tried and failed,he needed friends to help,he lost to the bad guys until the very end, he had to out in training and work to win

Rey has done none of that. In the span of a week she goes from believing the Force is a myth to bring the best one ever , with no training and no work. She just gets it handed to her

But we are never going to agree so no use arguing, and I am tired of bring called a troll, a hater, a racist and a sexist by anyone and everyone I try to discuss the movie with

Basically if you don't love it you are a horrible person and not allowed to talk, based on everyone (off forum) that I tried to have civil discussions with about it. Love it or shut up is what I am told 

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Rey has done none of that. In the span of a week she goes from believing the Force is a myth to bring the best one ever , with no training and no work. She just gets it handed to her

This is why I don’t like most movies these days. Especially for a multi part movie there is no excuse for taking short cuts. This why I loved Game of Thrones until the last couple of seasons. The character’s journeys were full of struggles. I personally stopped being a ‘fan’ of Star Wars years ago. Thanks Jar Jar Binks!

But hey, to each their own. If you love it, good for you. I’m happy there is something out there that you enjoy. I just have been wanting more from Star Wars than I’ve been getting. Maybe nothing can replace young Luke, Leia and Han in my eyes. Rey and the new batch of characters just don't speak to me like my favorite characters from other movies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

But we are never going to agree so no use arguing, and I am tired of bring called a troll, a hater, a racist and a sexist by anyone and everyone I try to discuss the movie with

Anyone that has called you any of those names deserves to be ignored. It's a film for goodness sakes. People need to get some perspective ::(:

6 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Basically if you don't love it you are a horrible person and not allowed to talk, based on everyone (off forum) that I tried to have civil discussions with about it. Love it or shut up is what I am told 

I wouldn't interact with people that acted like that. I've previously been harassed by a work colleague who insisted that I simply must watch a certain popular fantasy tv series when I said that I didn't want to after a friend advised me to give it a miss. (She realized that I would react negatively to some of the themes in it and I trust her opinion). It became a mini crusade for him and he was confronting me multiple times a day about it and I eventually had to get HR involved because he would not stop harassing me about it. 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Watched Wallace and Gromit yesterday (A Grand Day Out, The Wrong Trousers and the sheep rustling one).  Also watched part 1 of the Hobbit trilogy last night, and will watch all 6 Jackson Middle Earth movies this holiday break. I refuse to do them all in one day, we did that once with the Lord of the Rings movies ( extended versions), and I felt like a zombie at the end of that marathon.

• Like 5

On 12/24/2019 at 11:02 AM, Kuroneko said:

...announced Knights of the Old Republic trilogy...

...Rogue One prequel series that's happening next year. 

Wait, WHAT?!? ::o:

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Wait, WHAT?!? ::o:

Apparently there is a planned KOTOR trilogy. From what I understand, its still in the script stage. I can't remember who was supposed to direct but it's been put back a little bit because of how...um....poorly Solo did. I think they're taking their time with these ones.

The Rogue One prequel series is going to follow Cassian Andor and if they don't show him reprogramming K-2SO I'll eat my hat. It'll be on Disney+ next year, apparently. 

37 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2

Watched 6 Underground last night on Netflix. It was ... very Michael Bay. :rolleyes:

If you like frenetic action, and can handle poor to adequate acting and a really stupid plot, it's actually fun.

Looks like it was/is intended to be the start of a series, and if that happens I'll probably watch the next one as well.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Watched 6 Underground last night on Netflix. It was ... very Michael Bay. :rolleyes:

If you like frenetic action, and can handle poor to adequate acting and a really stupid plot, it's actually fun.

Looks like it was/is intended to be the start of a series, and if that happens I'll probably watch the next one as well.

I watched it last night as well,  and that's a pretty accurate assessment.  

I felt like it was written with a different lead actor in mind, and when they got Ryan Reynolds they decided they had to jam in some random funny quips.  Sometimes they felt really out of place.  But I did see Ryan got a nice Aviator Gin cameo in there..... 

• Like 5

Watched X-Men:- Dark Phoenix yesterday.

Thought it was pretty good, certainly better than it reviewed, but I think it's always going to be one of those classic comic story-lines that just doesn't work in other mediums.

Plus they really need to lay off the time-skips, three decades have past since First Class but no one looks noticeably older.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Watched X-Men:- Dark Phoenix yesterday.

Thought it was pretty good, certainly better than it reviewed, but I think it's always going to be one of those classic comic story-lines that just doesn't work in other mediums.

Plus they really need to lay off the time-skips, three decades have past since First Class but no one looks noticeably older.

I pretty much agree across the board. I enjoyed it and Apocalypse a lot more than the critics and fan responses should indicate. The movie wasn't great by any means, but it wasn't nearly as unwatchable as people made it out to be. The real problem for a lot of fans is that they want the "big storylines" like Dark Phoenix or Venom to be put into movies, but they don't seem to appreciate how much build-up there really was in the comics before we got to the memorable payoffs. The movies that try to just give the fans what they're demanding as quickly as they're demanding it (Dark Phoenix, X3, Spider-Man 3) just can't do the stories justice on their own.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Well. That was Cats.

... Guys? I am conflicted. It wasn't terrible? But I didn't like a lot of what they did with the characters. :/

Ah, well.

Wait, what? There are characters in Cats?!

• Haha 2

Movies recently watched, and my general opinions:

Dark Waters - Great movie. Mark Ruffalo is a terrific actor, and the movie is really important to watch. It's freaking disgusting how monstrously evil corporations can be. The movie also has cameos from some actual people involved in the case, which I thought was a pretty cool touch.

Frozen II - I'm not going to lie. I love Frozen, and this was a pretty solid sequel, even if there's obviously a lot of "retconning" the world building to accommodate an expanded narrative. Terrific movie, though.

Bombshell - I enjoyed it, but overall, it wasn't thrilling movie making. Probably worth a rent, but maybe not a theatre ticket. Charlize Theron as Megyn Kelly is amazingly convincing. It's almost enough to make me not dislike the actual person as much as I otherwise might.

Jumanji: the Next Level - The Jumanji reboot/sequel was great, because the Rock, Karen Gillan, and the rest were terrific. This one is also terrific. Watching the Rock play an old Danny Devito is terrific. The actors are still pretty spot on, and the movie is reasonably fun. I'd say that the "plot" is a little thin, but it's almost meant to be, so it's fine. I'll definitely be picking this up on Blu-ray when it comes out to join the other movies on my shelf.

• Like 4